Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

This is a discussion on Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I tried falling down seven times and getting up eight and I lost count. Kinda spacey… Tried it several times. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:00am   #41
Joined Jul 2003
Re: Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

I tried falling down seven times and getting up eight and I lost count.

Kinda spacey…

Tried it several times.

I tried starting off from a falling down position and that works OK on the up/down count if you stop at the right place, but rather sets the expectation for failure from the outset.

I’ll persevere with this one as it’s been transliterated from ancient Kanji from the Gods of Mt. Fuji so there’s something to learn I’m sure.

It’s a koan – that’s it.

The sound of one clown flapping.

Or is that getting too Sufi?
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Now Watch This Drive
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:08am   #42

Joined Jun 2005

IMO consistency is the feature of truly successful trader (and those are rare and exceptional by nature of the profession ).

One making 20% a year average for 40 years looks better professional to me than one making 1000% one year and blowing up the next.
Cornix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:43am   #43
Joined Mar 2005

Return needs to be put into context - a risk adusted performance measure (RAPM).

Firstly, if you're trading equities then the first thing you'd look at is how much you make in excess of the appropriate index (MSCI, FTSE, etc.).

Secondly, if you beat the benchmark, it needs to be put in context of the risks you take - volatility, skew and kurtosis.

The Sharpe ratio is one summary measure, whilst the Sortino ratio is a modified Sharpe which looks at the semi-variance of returns. The semi-variance says that volatility on your losing trades matters far more than on the winners.

Finally, you can take a quantile approach such as value-at-risk which, like drawdown, emphasises the tail risks you are taking to generate those seemingly fantastic returns.
Joey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:36pm   #44

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread I've just seen something that was gob smacking, a day trader take 500 points today

The individual is in fact a member of this site but thats all i'm allowed to say
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:45pm   #45

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
I've just seen something that was gob smacking, a day trader take 500 points today

The individual is in fact a member of this site but thats all i'm allowed to say
Well, I'll be damned... Where do I send my millions, so that he/she can trade them for me?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:48pm   #46
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
I've just seen something that was gob smacking, a day trader take 500 points today
Lol Doomberg!
No need to be so coy. Either spill the beans or keep stumm! Anyway, I assume you're talking about JahDave?
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:49pm   #47
Joined Jun 2011

Exactly how much is 500 points worth then ?
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:03pm   #48

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Lol Doomberg!
No need to be so coy. Either spill the beans or keep stumm! Anyway, I assume you're talking about JahDave?
Tim.
No its not JahDave tim, he does more long term trades like days or even weeks

And i'm not being funny but i have been told not to mention stuff like that, hope you understand
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote