The fight for Mosul

This is a discussion on The fight for Mosul within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; It looks like the forces are gathering to take Mosul back from Islamic State. There are at least 5 different ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:42am   #1

Joined Mar 2004
The fight for Mosul

It looks like the forces are gathering to take Mosul back from Islamic State. There are at least 5 different groups in a loose coalition. Can they hold together long enough to take Mosul and what happens if/when IS falls ?
The US record of " after the battle " in the Middle East is abysmal so far. Will it be more of the same ?
It is likely to be a tough struggle. IS is reported to have dug extensive trench and tunnel systems. They are threatening to use human shields, IE bombs and even poison gas.

A nasty situation alright.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:51am   #2

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Iraqi forces are "ahead of schedule", the Pentagon has said, as they begin the second day of the battle to retake Mosul from so-called Islamic State.
But spokesman Peter Cook warned that the campaign "could take some time" to as it remained to be seen whether the jihadist group would "stand and fight".
Fighting continued overnight, with IS militants attacking Iraqi army tanks.
A BBC correspondent with an army unit says the southern frontline is still some 40km (24 miles) from the city.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:54am   #3

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread It is a tragedy that so many young people were taken in by Isis propaganda and will lose their lives in a useless struggle for a demonic group.
IF it had been for a progressive and peaceful group they would probably be celebrating successes and more to come but violence rules in The Middle East and the battles are fought. The dead will soon be forgotten.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:07pm   #4
Joined Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
The US record of " after the battle " in the Middle East is abysmal so far. Will it be more of the same ?

A nasty situation alright.
Absolutely more of the same if clinton becomes president.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:16pm   #5

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post

Peter
Donald would probably nooook 'em Plus the civilians.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:01pm   #6
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post

Peter

It might sound cynical but wouldn't she calculate its better to have somewhere to fight IS in conventional warfare, in which they can be beaten? And if you're doing that, isn't it better in Iraq than some other places that are more important (to the US)? Plus in Iraq, you can use mostly local forces to do it for you.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:24pm   #7

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
It might sound cynical but wouldn't she calculate its better to have somewhere to fight IS in conventional warfare, in which they can be beaten? And if you're doing that, isn't it better in Iraq than some other places that are more important (to the US)? Plus in Iraq, you can use mostly local forces to do it for you.
One wonders just what has been promised and to whom to risk their lives attacking Mosul.I am surprised the USA hasn't got a robot army/air force to move in. All possible with current technology.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:18am   #8
Joined Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Donald would probably nooook 'em Plus the civilians.
So which do you want, Pat? Can't have it both ways. IMO, Hillary is just an extension of Obama's failed international policies, but except all you folks across the big pond, I don't know anyone here who actually believes Trump would use nukes as a first strike anywhere in the world. He's all about winning and even he knows a nuke war is a no win situation.

Just my opinion. I'm casting my ballot for Trump. If he loses, so be it. I will still own my statements here.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote