Tradergames: 50% poker / 50% trading

This is a discussion on Tradergames: 50% poker / 50% trading within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; I'll be looking out for you Sun An attraction of the site for newbie traders is that they can follow ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:29am   #16
Joined Nov 2003
roberk started this thread I'll be looking out for you Sun
An attraction of the site for newbie traders is that they can follow the best players. It's like they are standing behind the pro traders screen watching what he does.: mentoring at no cost.
I don't mind that at all because finally a trader has to find their own methods. I belong to a couple of futures chatrooms and learn the techniques of the pros there - but only take a few of their trades as I grow to rely on my own methods.
I learn from every game too- it's like trading boot camp. I've traded almost every day for the last 2 years but I learn more from a 2 hour game than from 2 or 3 days of trading.
I thought I was an aggresive trader, but in fact find I am timid. I put on several trades every day, sometimes more than 10- but they are often small size- so I cover over my fear of trading by taking many small trades when I should be considering the odds more and varying size, even going all in on occasion.

The games give me confidence too, because in about 90% I am in positive territory for at least part of the game (although sometimes I go back into negative because I try a desperate move in the leader is way ahead); and so even if I finally come second or 3rd it reinforces confidence in my skill.

Also in daily trading I tend to either give up or go on a tilt if I make 2 or 3 bad trades in a row. One game I had last week I was $130,000 down on the leader. I felt like throwing it in, but kept watching, saw a bullfag developing and made a nicely timed short, eventually winning the game with only a minute to spare: well I had nothing to lose so it brought out the best.

And stop and reverse: usually in daily trading I am ecstatic if I win, or down if I lose and have no interest in a stop and reverse. In the games I am learning how do do that- it is a whole 'nother level of trading and one that very few traders can master. I wouldn't be surprised if these gaming sites produce a new breed of aggressive and motivated traders。
roberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:31am   #17
Joined Nov 2003
roberk started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun123
roberk

That's a shame they know the amount you stake. But you can confuse them by placing small stakes maybe. but they catch on to that In time.

So if one is good at trading, it would be still hard to make money, as the not so skilled would follow you moves.

sun
Not so bad Sun, because there is a few seconds delay (I should have explained that before) for the platform to show the trades entered, enough for the trade to have moved a tick or two.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:05pm   #18
Joined Nov 2003
Hi

Roberk I have join the traders games. And I come across you name. I see you played the game. the game below that you won, what is you game plan, from what I see by the number of trades you place you are a scalper. is this correct

1 roberk 49 69,984
2 tafia007 35 32,769
3 skyline 5 (66,600)
4 biggcol 6 (202,800)

Also on your other game uncleFegg
won the game and i looked at the chart
and we had a nice trend going is this maybe
You lost this game as most scalpers lose
on trend days.Ho did UncleFegg get lucky
lol.all that said looks a good game.I be
Playing next week.

1 UncleFegg 6 116,073
2 skyline 15 103,648
3 IainMac 6 85,225
4 roberk 41 (34,230)
5 tafia007 10 (79,800)

On a 50,000,000 game what is you avr stake
Cheers

sun

Last edited by cj12; Jan 23, 2005 at 10:13pm.
cj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:57pm   #19
Joined Nov 2003
roberk started this thread HI Sun,
That wasn't you I just pipped in the closing seconds of the 180 pound game was it?

You're right, I am a scalper, hard habit to break after over a year daytrading the dax.
The stats are a little misleading though as I do scale out - so I might have done a couple of 50 milion trade but scaled out in bits.
I can't remember that game I lost, but yes if it was a trending day I tend to do worse than in a range, very perceptive.

Last edited by roberk; Jan 24, 2005 at 4:01pm.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:15pm   #20
Joined Nov 2003
Trader Games currently offers games based on the Foreign Exchange (FX) Markets. They will shortly be offering a variety of Games based on other types of financial instruments, such as indices, equities and commodities.

They have only been going for 6 months.Anyone with views on this new trading style.basically You trade against 4 to 8 other traders. Games start from 20 entry fee to 250. so if there is 4 players and you play a 100 pound game you take the pot of 400. Least you know how much you are risking and how much you going to win.

Sun
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:26pm   #21
Joined Nov 2003
Well, is any of you had a go trading on this site TraderGames.com It look pretty good to me.

sun
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:00am   #22
Joined Nov 2003
The Trader Games website www.tradergames.com has been updated over the weekend and now includes a number of improvements to increase game excitement and players' involvement.

Choosing a game to join
The layout and content of both the Q-and-Go queues and the Scheduled List have been modified.
For Q-and-Go, we've added higher value games to reflect players' preferences. The layout now provides an overview of all available Queues, making it easier to determine which games are likely to start quickly.

The Scheduled List has been modified to make choosing a game easier. For each game you can now see the minimum number of players required, the maximum number allowed, as well as the number of players who have already joined.

This information allows you to choose a game with appropriate risk/reward characteristics, and allows you to identify those games that are most likely to start once you've joined.

Playing a game
In response to user comments, we've modified three details of the game play itself.

-We are removing the currency pair CHF/JPY which has been used rarely. We are adding AUD/USD, USD/SEK and USD/CAD.
-The spreads on several currency pairs has been narrowed, to enhance the trading experience.
-We have modified the Recent Trades pane within the game, to provide somewhat less information. Currency and volume information is still shown, but the all important Buy/Sell flag has been dropped. You will now have to work harder to guess your competitors' strategies!

Building a community
Our research has shown that users identify strongly with Trader Games and that certain friendly rivalries exist between specific players. To support this development, we have added a private, in-game chat facility, which allows players to communicate with each other.

With the exception of Trader Games moderators - who will monitor conversations to ensure that they maintain the appropriate tone - the in-game chat facility can be viewed only by those players who are participating in the game.

We feel that these modifications add significantly to the Trader Games experience but the final judgement lies with you and your fellow players. Please send us your comments, your praise and your criticisms. We'll do our best to consider these in future site enhancements.

By the way, you might have noticed that the Q-and-Go and Scheduled lists, are now mounted in a "Forex" tab. Does this mean that we will shortly be launching other game types? Watch this space for the answer and for news of other, on-going improvements.

Yours sincerely,

Hugh Curran,
Marketing Director
Trader Games

T: +44 20 7538 5235

M: +44 7977 041 950

E: hcurran@tradergames.com
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:09am   #23
Joined Nov 2003
Hi roberk

Nice 400 quide win on the 2 hour game today.

sun
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:23pm   #24
Joined Nov 2003
good win again roberk about 700 quid in 2 days neet

dont know why more traders are not playing these 2 hour games

sun
Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:10am   #25
Joined Nov 2003
roberk started this thread Thanks Sun!
yep, I am really hooked on these games.
Especially the risk is defined to the dollar,and the probabilities are know as well.
Once another 1000 players join we'll be able to play anytime day or night.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:22pm   #26
Joined Nov 2003
Hi roberk

The site as only been going for about 6 to 8 months, and there are always games to play of you choice from about 9 am to 5 am. of 80 pound games to 750 pound games.I have had a few games and won some. the more I look at tradergames.com it looks easier to make money this way than your normal trading with a broker.Also they are looking to introduce some of the indices such as the Dow. It can only get better.

sun
Thanks! The following members like this post: roberk
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:12pm   #27

Joined Aug 2004
Candidate for "T2W Fake Thread 2005"
c6ackp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: roberk
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:09pm   #28
Joined Nov 2003
roberk started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6ackp
Candidate for "T2W Fake Thread 2005"
And what do you mean by that? Please, do say more.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:15pm   #29
Joined Nov 2003
c6ackp

I don't think you are experienced enough to judge this thread, you have only been at this game for a year and use about 8 different indicators.

sun

Last edited by frugi; Feb 13, 2005 at 7:07pm. Reason: slight personal abuse
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:38pm   #30
Joined Nov 2003
roberk

Unlucky on you last game. Could do me a favour can you tell me where you get the USD/SEK charts from.

Thanks

sun