Any Poker players?

ha0dho - I don't use PokerTracker, but I keep track of my sessions on CheckYourBets. I have attached my graph for the last 2 1/2 years. You can see that I was $12000 in profit until I thought I was good enough to play at a higher level.

The big dip from $12000 back down to $10k was me getting my butt kicked by better players. Since then I have not played that much as I am not in the right frame of mind at the moment. I have struggled a bit with the psychological reaction of losing 15% of my bankroll in 2 months and the realisation that I am not as good as I thought I was.

Attachments

• CYB graph.bmp
    147.5 KB · Views: 134
I'm a poker player - only small cash games though. I've worked my way up from an account of $25 to just over $1000 in 18 months playing recreationally (probably 5 mins a day average overall). My current limit is NL50 but I've been getting killed recently and may have to drop back to NL25. I got in a similar rut when I first moved to NL25 6 months ago or so.

I find trading harder than poker. One of the reasons is I think it is hard to sit in front of a screen doing nothing 90-95% of the time - so I miss lots of trades through not being at the screen when I should be. At least with poker, you are constantly playing hands (albeit folding a lot of them). Also, I think it's easy to identify weak players with poker and exploit them. It's harder to exploit people in trading, even though it does happen. Trading is more about finding what works and repeatedly doing that same thing over and over. If you do that in poker, you'll lose as you have to adapt to each players different style.

Either way, both are games of imperfect information, both are good fun, both are highly frustrating and both have the weight to send you from pauper to prince and back again. Also, they are both the archetype activities of Darwinism.

Which is more difficult? Probably trading because in poker against bad players, it's easy to get an edge. With trading, good and bad traders are in the same pool at the same time and because of that it's harder to capitalise on a weak trader when you can't see him for all the good and mediocre traders. However, that said, some days I can't make a cent in poker and trading is easy - everything goes well. Other days, I wish I hadn't bothered with trading and spent the day playing poker. They are both heavily affected by randomness and chance and because of that they are both pretty damned hard.

There is a saying in poker that "the toughest opponent you will ever face is sitting in your seat".

I think the same is true in trading.

You will always find many poker players/traders

poker/trading is for risk takers and trading and poker have both become popular with the internet boom.

There are some top poker players who were former traders look at Erik Seidel he was a former wall street trader he quit that to become a proffessional poker player (looks like it was a good move).

the question is: there are poker rules that can be applied to trading??.

There are trading rule that I have applied to poker that have helped my backroll now each session i have a stop and a limit per table.

For example if I started with $25 I would only leave that table if I made $50 (reached my limit) or lost $15 (reached my stop). I would then move onto a new table and start fresh with $25

There are some top poker players who were former traders look at Erik Seidel he was a former wall street trader he quit that to become a proffessional poker player (looks like it was a good move).

Bill Chen too. He works for SIG (Susquehanna International Group) as a stat arb algo trader. SIG was founded by poker players and their training involves learning all forms of poker as well as trading.

Bill Chen is a genius I own his Mathematics of poker book, its was a waste of money for me cos its to complicated

There are trading rule that I have applied to poker that have helped my backroll now each session i have a stop and a limit per table.

For example if I started with $25 I would only leave that table if I made $50 (reached my limit) or lost $15 (reached my stop). I would then move onto a new table and start fresh with $25

(y)