Your All time favourite singing voice

bluetipex

Decided a few hours ago to call it a day with my girlfriend of 7 years, so I thought I'd start a thread on T2W to help me cope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE SINGING MALE and FEMALE voice of all time?

Now this is going to be controversial, because it will depend on the style(s) of music you prefer. But I'd like you to be open-minded and acknowledge accomplished singers in genres of music not to your taste. I assume those among us of, shall I say, more mature years, will have a wider selection from which to choose.

What I'm seeking here is singers that are timeless, classic, and will always be regarded as awesome. When they sing, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, they send a shiver down your spine. You know what I mean. However, this is NOT necessarily the record that was playing when you met your childhood sweetheart... and evokes all the emotions you felt at that time.

Now clearly there will be many contenders. I've given this careful consideration, and I propose Nat King Cole as the best male voice. Yes, when he sings the hairs of my neck twitch. Elvis Presley...... hmmmmmmm. Frank Sinatra? hhhhmmmmmmm.... Michael Jackson? How about Louis Armstrong?

Now, females. Equally difficult choice of course.

Again I'd have to go with a black singer. Aretha Franklin. Yep, when she sings I am moved. No sorry, changed my mind. Ella Fitzgerald. Damn, I can't decide. But then there are many female voices that are on a par perhaps. Whitney Houston, Maria Carey, Diana Ross.....

So, there you have it. Nat King Cole - best male voice. Ella Fitzgerald - best female.

I very much look forward to alternative selections of equal merit.

Don't forget, the only stipulation is that their voice must send a shiver down your spine.

female:
it has got to be Chavela Vargas.....in spanish.

Male:
Jorge Negrete (old) also in spanish

sorry about the girlfriend part...................

j

Last edited:
I can see how this thread would help you cope!! :eek::confused:

Personally... I have 2 for the ladies, one old and one new...

Ella fitzgerald
Beth Gibbons (portishead)

As for men, not sure any mens voices send shivers down my spine, but for quality I have 2 again...

Tony Bennett
Paul Heaton (Beautiful South)

Both old and new singers have different and equally pleasurable voices IMO, just depends on my mood.

Well, firstly I'm still in the middle of a divorce so sympathy there coz its been totally Sh*t.

Female..........NO competition...........NO doubt............Billy Holiday
Male..............Andrea Bocelli........Voice of an Angel........Ab Fab!

Anyway, thats my two pence worth.....nite all

Where are we going to stop? I'm very fickle and have a string of favourite female voices starting with (WWII was on when I started to take an interest in women's other assets, part from putting food on the table) Dinah Shore- I used to dream of her crooning in my lug on a moonlit night.

But there have been others, since then, Ella, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughan (I'll Be Seeing You--a show stopper).

Males. Perry Como and Dean Martin are my favoutites.

Split

Females - I would go for Edith Piaf, because I like strong female voices and although she was very petite she had a tremendously powerful voice. For similar reasons Diana Ross, Shirley Bassey. For an unusal female voice I would go for Bjork.

Males - Mika for unusual lyrics and tremendous vocal range, Pascal Obispo who is a French singer but mainly a writer with great lyrics, Thierry Amiel, again French, singing Les Mots Bleus and Le Port d'Amsterdam.

Charlton

Female - Loleatta Holloway, Shirley Bassey, Thelma Houston, Anita Baker

Male - Barry White, Lou Rawls, Luther Vandross, Mario Lanza, Andrea Bocelli

As for men, not sure any mens voices send shivers down my spine, but for quality I have 2 again...
Tony Bennett
Paul Heaton (Beautiful South)
Yo Wasp - my friend,
Outrageous! Tony Bennett has a fine voice but it's bordering on the criminal to site him ahead of Frank Sinatra. Even he (Mr. Bennett) would agree with that!
As for the ladies - we gotta include Nina Simone. My wife and I had the privilege of seeing her live in Exeter about 10 years ago and she was awesome. Perhaps not the greatest voice ever, but a premier league 'star' all the same with great charisma.
Tim.

Decided a few hours ago to call it a day with my girlfriend of 7 years, so I thought I'd start a thread on T2W to help me cope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE SINGING MALE and FEMALE voice of all time?

Now this is going to be controversial, because it will depend on the style(s) of music you prefer. But I'd like you to be open-minded and acknowledge accomplished singers in genres of music not to your taste. I assume those among us of, shall I say, more mature years, will have a wider selection from which to choose.

What I'm seeking here is singers that are timeless, classic, and will always be regarded as awesome. When they sing, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, they send a shiver down your spine. You know what I mean. However, this is NOT necessarily the record that was playing when you met your childhood sweetheart... and evokes all the emotions you felt at that time.

Now clearly there will be many contenders. I've given this careful consideration, and I propose Nat King Cole as the best male voice. Yes, when he sings the hairs of my neck twitch. Elvis Presley...... hmmmmmmm. Frank Sinatra? hhhhmmmmmmm.... Michael Jackson? How about Louis Armstrong?

Now, females. Equally difficult choice of course.

Again I'd have to go with a black singer. Aretha Franklin. Yep, when she sings I am moved. No sorry, changed my mind. Ella Fitzgerald. Damn, I can't decide. But then there are many female voices that are on a par perhaps. Whitney Houston, Maria Carey, Diana Ross.....

So, there you have it. Nat King Cole - best male voice. Ella Fitzgerald - best female.

I very much look forward to alternative selections of equal merit.

Don't forget, the only stipulation is that their voice must send a shiver down your spine.
Lee Dorrian
Leonard Cohen
Vi Subversa
Kate Bush
Danbert Nobacon
Steve Ignorant
Freddie Mercury
Vivian Stanshall
Billy Bragg

Yo Wasp - my friend,
Outrageous! Tony Bennett has a fine voice but it's bordering on the criminal to site him ahead of Frank Sinatra. Even he (Mr. Bennett) would agree with that!
As for the ladies - we gotta include Nina Simone. My wife and I had the privilege of seeing her live in Exeter about 10 years ago and she was awesome. Perhaps not the greatest voice ever, but a premier league 'star' all the same with great charisma.
Tim.

Its also a matter of personal taste and I 'd prefer an evening with Chas n' Dave than Frank Sinatra but thought that would be too many on the male list! :cheesy:

Good selection guys, many of which I've never heard of!

Surprised no-one mentioned Elvis Presley. Maybe no-one likes his music.

What do you guys think of Joan Armatrading? Not an amazing voice but interesting nevertheless.

Freddie Mercury
David Ruffin
Art Garfunkle
Smoky Robinson

Irma Franklin
Stevie Nicks
Carla Thomas

Freddie Mercury is/was a good all-rounder. It would be hard for anyone to be offended by his vocals :).

Axl Rose has to be among the worst, whatever way you look at it.

As for women - i'll have to think about it.....

Now let's talk about real singing. Not warbling into a microphone.

Male

Enrico caruso

His 1907 recording of Vesti la giubba from Leoncavallo's Pagliacci was the world's first gramophone record to sell a million copies.

Gigli and Pavarotti come joint second.

Female

Maria Callas

She's sold a few albums too.

I find it difficult to think of the top women singers, as i do top female actresses.

I'm good at remembering the fittest women though, and i guess thats the most important bit!