Yoof culture, innit

I c yof culture everywhere...........ruining our environment.............
"Florence" !!!
If this was the US, he would have been gunned down by the Secret Service.
Richard

I usually get about a dozen pages into the Sunday paper before flinging it down and telling Mrs o'Clubs we need to emigrate to somewhere better. I suppose I could just stop reading the papers/watching the news...

I disagree that it says anything about inner-city state school teenagers. Jerks are jerks, and often come blue-suited and well-groomed.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for they are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet, respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient."

Hesiod 700bc

300 years later

"The youth of today love luxury; they have bad manners and contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Youth are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up food at the table, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates

and today

"Hmmm, why did I leave...

Bring back capital punishment, that'd stop 'em!"

Wasp

LOL.... when I think how far 'we' think 'we' have come you just have to rethink that at a basic level to find 'we' have hardly changed at all ;)

chump said:
LOL.... when I think how far 'we' think 'we' have come you just have to rethink that at a basic level to find 'we' have hardly changed at all ;)

Essentially, perhaps not. But the level has certainly changed. Failing to rise when elders enter the room is not quite on the same level as, say, killing the homeless for the fun of it.

I'm all for a zero tolerance policy. Shoot the b****** on the first abusive/disrespectful post.

Mr. Charts said:
........and the film industry/ media doesn't help viz Clockwork Orange
I was a nipper at the time the sex pistols were around, and recall how at school everyone thought that Sid Vicious was the man!!
i even thought according to how the media portrayed him that to be him was the pinnacle of achievement.:confused:

"Essentially, perhaps not. But the level has certainly changed. Failing to rise when elders enter the room is not quite on the same level as, say, killing the homeless for the fun of it."

I don't think we have the data to make that statement re levels ...we have some youths today who exhibit extreme behaviour BUT as a percentage of the population I wonder was that 'deviant' group not present in all generations past .. I really don't know BUT I am suspicious of statements today that claim that today is somehow worse than our yesterdays ...usually when I look into that type of statement it typically reeks of nostalgia , unwillingness to acknowledge that the past is the past and the youth of today have a right to make their mistakes just as we made ours ...straying from the example given above I know but the point remains.
I might also add that our technological level also means that today we have access to a lot more information than might have been the case only decades ago..so when Little Johnny in X does Y if you read a paper ,or watch a tv you will know about it,...that did not used to be the case

It's not so much nostalgia as a recognition that parental controls have dissipated in the face of an ever-present peer environment. After the first few years, a child's behavior is determined more by his peers than by his parents, and the peer culture is more influential now than ever before, hence the difference.

Some call this an abdication of responsibility on the part of parents, but the fact is that there isn't much they can do about it.

You know what, take a police motto maybe "To protect & Serve" police must have one of the hardest jobs, they have to be a social worker, parent, psychologist, compassionate,everything , youve got the victim of the crime and the offender ,who is also a victim? and needs more? care?

is that right? well i can see the point for it, when did it change? when parents and the police stopped clubbing people I expect . Ok well if we are not going to club people then its gonna take more cash to train them? who wants to spend money on that ?

Death penalty, makes no sense, someone commits the crime say murder, then the offenders murdered?

who has committed the greater murder? the irrational or sick offender or the conscious peers?

whats the solutions?