Yet another get trader trying to get rich quick

north5

Hi All,

Been along tim since I posted on here, but somewhere and sometime I had a thread on my attempt to run an account up taking big risks (i.e. 20-50% of account). So before you all jump in and say how ridiculous this is - I know. I'm not trying to gain a following or pretend I'm a super trader. I am taking a calculated gamble with a small amount of my money as a high risk strategy.

Most of money is locked away in my ISA and Pension (mostly Cash right now tbh as I like to try and buy low and hold and markets are too high for me to be interested. I have taken a Russian fund a few weeks ago +9% already on that, and am always on the look out for value areas - but not much taking my interest right now).

We have dual incomes and some other small ventures that will hopefully develop some cashflow.

I guess my point is that this is part of a diversified (ish) approach to money - not a desperate roll of the dice.

Last time I did this on here I believe I started with about £2k, made some money, took some losses and then stopped to buy a Omega watch with the profit that was left.

I then spent a few years away - not really trading as life got in the way (moved country and jobs etc etc)

Last year I got back into trading and ran 3k up to about 50k, I took £20k out to add to my pension and then promptly lost the remaining £30k.

So far this year I have generated a profit of £7k - taken £2k out which I have spent on a TV and holiday.

I now have that £5k to give it another go. Not sure why I want to post about it - I guess trading is a bit of a lonely enterprise and this is one way to share the ups and downs. The wife doesn't take much interest, and I don't like discussing with friends as they will either think I have loads of cash to squander (I don't) or have a gambling problem (I don't think so anyway).

I normally trade FTSE, Dow and sometimes DAX. I also normally short for some reason.

Today have taken a short FTSE £20@6840 and DAX £20@9670. I know these are basically the same bet - just couldn't resist!

Anyway - will try and post regularly - probably from my phone - so all interest, comments and banter welcome.

You can and I won't take offence. I believe it is a calculated GAMBLE because I have made significant money from this approach before - always got out with a profit (indeed this time my worst case is I lose it all and just have the 2k profit already banked).

That risk level will fall as the account (hopefully) increases, but for now I will sit on a loss up to about £2k before I bail.

I feel you though - this isn't a trading method and I bet it does look ridiculous. It's a punt on my skills holding for the short term to get a big payback. If I get the account up pretty quick then I will have the backing to keep to the same size but have the £2k loss mean less to the account when it comes. My problem has always been I keeping to the smaller size as the pot grows!

Also - I do have reasons for entry normally looking for prices to move back into ranges - rather than keep extending. As you will suspect I tend to get hammered by trends. Hopefully with us coming to the summer the highs will hold for now and some decent range trades for the next few months so and I will get the account up quick. But then again they may not and I may not...

I trade with cmc spreads. I like the mobile app as I normally trade whilst at work and the lack of slippage in execution.

Just closed the 2 trades to take £300. Think they will be lower than current levels by the end of the day, but am expecting a bump and Dump of the Dow at open. So will look to get back in on that - hopefully something like a Dow short around 3pm above 16640.

Start £5000. Balance £5316. Withdrawn £0.

............ My problem has always been I keeping to the smaller size as the pot grows!...........

Reasonable to ride your luck since you seem to appreciate it as a gamble. Maybe keep on taking half profits out when they come will keep you finishing up with something to show for it in your bank account.

I normally trade FTSE, Dow and sometimes DAX. I also normally short for some reason.

Today have taken a short FTSE £20@6840 and DAX £20@9670. I know these are basically the same bet - just couldn't resist!

Anyway - will try and post regularly - probably from my phone - so all interest, comments and banter welcome.

well good luck to you. It sounds like you are a bit of a risk taker, like a gamble. Gambling is fine in my book as long you know what you are getting into and are not kidding yourself that you have some sort of long term edge/proven method. I prefer to use rigorous statistical methods and diversification to deliver growth to my account. After a while the roller coaster of up 5k down 5k up 10k down 10k gets a bit wearing. :)

Last edited:
GI like ups, not so much the downs.

In a bit early on this but short £20 @16655.

Anyone else had success with high risk strategies.

Spread doctor - you sound like you've given it a shot in the past.

Last edited:
Spread doctor - you sound like you've given it a shot in the past.

oh yes in my younger days I would take more directional risks. These days my trading is quite sedate, holding times range from 1 to 30 days. I dream of 5% months :LOL: slow and steady wins the race. I do have the occasional punt on things I like but treat it as a punt not my bread and butter. I genuinely don't miss the rush of day trading, well that is what I keep telling myself hah.

Yeah - as I said in my first post - for some reason I like to sell. You gotta work with what you have and for some reason I think I know when a market is overbought - it's hurting a little at the moment.

Can't seem to day trade like a bull.

I only like buying when prices are really low and then for the long term really. Which is why I'm mostly in cash right now.

And again £10@16687. Am a bit too exposed for my liking, but expect this to come good.

Last edited:
And again £10@16687. Am a bit too exposed for my liking, but expect this to come good.

I also enjoy gambling as the much as the next person, but even when punting on the horses I wouldn't just pick a number out of the hat. I'd have a look at the form, speed figures, win-rate of the strategy over the previous season etc.

If I had the money or inclination to happily approach the market with your bold attitude, I would rather take a system that has tested well over the past and that has a high win rate, and then I would gamble maximum-kelly on each trade.

At least this way, there is some sort of mathematical reason that suggests I could parlay the money to untold riches. I am curious why you wouldn't take the same approach?

It would be exciting for the rest of us to follow somebody employing such a system.

Anyhow, good luck to you!

So I'm all ears if there is some sort of proven system to multiply money in the short term. Whilst I can understand the power of compounding - it really only seems to work in the market over pension saving timescales.

I think my mistake last time I took the account balance up to reasonably significant money was to keep trying the same approach. This time I think i'd try and find another strategy to diversify into. Not worth it with this sized balance though.

i.e. I have a long term value based strategy (where most of my money is sat)

I have this day strategy

I think I probably need to create some sort of swing trade strat too and then balance the day trading into that too.

That's if I ever get there. Todays view that it was a pump to take out the stops is not proving right. Holding for a pullback is all am I doing now - get out with a smallish profit today and I'll be happy. I still think I will.

Last edited:
Yeah. Thanks for finding that thread. I couldn't and it was because I had a different username then. Can't remember why I changed it. I did want to resurrect it!

Will give it a good read in a minute - prob good for a laugh. Tbh though the strategy isn't much different.

Cheers man. This place feels a lot different now. So quiet, I'm sure there used to be loads of great threads. Maybe it's today's market - enough to put anyone to sleep.

The guys on the FTSE scalping thread seem to be doing some good work, will prob pop over there at some point.

Hopefully this is the stop hunt to 16700 before a pullback.

Another £10pp @16699.