Yet another get trader trying to get rich quick

The problem with high risk trading (or gambling) is that it is not statistically sustainable. So the more trades or gambles you take the more likely that statistical norms will prevail which inevitably results is large losses. So if you have been fortunate enough to have made a profit using this approach it is best in my view to quit whilst ahead and probably with immediate effect.

The problem with high risk trading (or gambling) is that it is not statistically sustainable. So the more trades or gambles you take the more likely that statistical norms will prevail which inevitably results is large losses. So if you have been fortunate enough to have made a profit using this approach it is best in my view to quit whilst ahead and probably with immediate effect.

Wot ! and spoil all the fun:LOL:

Precisely.
It's only a matter of time before another heavy loss occurs.
Like most things, a measured approach is much more likely to result in long term success rather than a erm... less sophisticated "strategy" - as was clear by losing that £30k. If that didn't hurt sufficiently that the money wasn't important enough, which means you will lose long term - if not before, as T333 says.

Of course the 30k hurt - was a series of losses not one big one. The current losses are hurting.

At the end of the day though I do think caring too much about money is detrimental to trading.

Without the losses I wouldn't have the banked profits.

I'm really convinced the best edge is size if account, so by my reckoning getting the size up quickly may not be such a crazy strategy. As size increases the risk profile can be lowered with the same profit sizes. I agree it isn't sustainable long term, and that is what caused me issues before - I.e. constantly increasing trade size.

This time I want to be a little more cautious in the medium term and try not to do that.

Last edited:
Really annoyed today. Cmc have applied price adjustments to my account. Not trivial ones either. What I don't understand though is that the up/down value they show doesn't seem any different.

Any one else have this on the last 2 days? I feel picked on.

Really annoyed today. Cmc have applied price adjustments to my account. Not trivial ones either. What I don't understand though is that the up/down value they show doesn't seem any different.

There was a big FTSE dividend adjustment which will have affected your short.

Can you give an example ?

On my phone so short reply. Cmc also explain it us dividends which I accept. Was described as 6.3 point adjustment from Dow last night. My statement also has another from night before. That has no information on just a £200 odd charge on top of holding fee as an adjustment. Did everyone else get charged 2 days in a row?

OK I'm out. With these charges I only made just £200. Oh well at least I feel a bit more relaxed now.

Total profit so far £500. 10% in 3 days.

Last edited:
No point having money sat on sidelines. FTSE looks way too high. S £20 6880.look to exit on a sell off at the open tmrw.

No point having money sat on sidelines. FTSE looks way too high. S £20 6880.look to exit on a sell off at the open tmrw.

Surely you understand dividend adjustments when spread betting the indices?

BTW I wouldn't bother selling either....a lot of indices are making all time highs....the extensions on these moves could easily wipe you out.

The honest is that I don't get why dividends affect an SB index. I understand it happens but don't know when or the mechanism for why.

What I also really didn't understand was why it didn't seem to change the providers point from which it calculated up\down.

Also didn't understand why one entry on my history had an exact point number that explained it and the other said nothing more than adjustment.

Anyway it is trivial amounts in the grand scheme of things so whilst it was annoying it's just another in a long line of annoyances that come with trading. So I'm not that bothered anymore now I am out. Try not to hold over night all that often anyways.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Really wish i had held dow now. Hay ho.

Made a quick £50. FTSE target 6840 but will see what happens tmrw. Fancy a sell off first thing.

Going to withdraw £200 to spend on stuff I wouldn't want to spend wages on. Maybe some blu rays for the kids and some expensive bed linnen. F'ing rock n roll huh.

Wolf of wall St I am not. (Yet).