Yep! Another question about Breakeven Triggers...

Scrittitrader

Hi all - I need help developing a strategy for moving my initial stop to breakeven.

In the perfect world, your initial buy entry point is the same thing as your breakeven.

Having said that, when I am long a stock, I would never move my initial stop up to my initial buy entry point as I might be stopped out too quickly. I no like that.

So let's assume my initial stop is $19.50 and my initial buy entry is $20.

Now here is what I do - I calculate the distance between my initial stop and buy entry point ($20 buy entry - $19.50 stop = .50 cents) and I then add .50 cents to my initial buy entry point ($20 + .50 cents = $20.50) to create my new breakeven TRIGGER point - $20.50.

In this example, as soon as my stock reaches $20.50, I move my orig stop ($19.50) up to my initial buy entry point ($20). My thinking is that the stock can now (in the worst case scenario) retrace .50 cents back to $20 (both my initial buy entry and my new stop) and if it hits $20, I won't lose money. I'll break even.

BUT...If I wait for the stock to trade all the way up to $20.50, sometimes the trade goes against me. For example, say the stock only trades up to $20.45 and then retraces all the way back down to $19.50 quickly - in that case my system fails, and I'm stopped out for a loss - which sucks.

Should I be more aggressive about determining my Breakeven TRIGGER? Maybe instead of basing my trigger on a .50 cent difference, I could have instead used a .25 cent difference (and thus a new breakeven TRIGGER point of $20.25), in which case I would have avoided the unnecessary loss mentioned above?

I realize breakeven triggers are often determined by each stock's volatility - such as the ATR - or support and resistance points.

In the end, I would just like to hear how other traders define

a) breakeven (what exactly is breakeven to you? - just covering your commission fees?)

b) how they determine their breakeven TRIGGER point to spring into action and move their stops up.

I can't really find any information on-line about establishing breakeven triggers - that's odd, no?

I am not familiar yet with pips and forex (newbie alert), so it would be helpful to limit your examples to stock trading. Thanks and I really look forward to your feedback.

hi Scrittitrader,
first things first, what kind of day trading do you intend to do or are you doing currently?
if you are the type who does like 10 or 25 trades a day, then commissions and stuff like that will bother you a lot which calls for tighter SLs. but i would anyday recommend a trading style where you do just less than 5 trades a day and limit it to only very liquid counters so that you can keep a tight SL trigger price and limit price and still get away with it without price jumping your tight trigger and limit price.

the 2% rule is a nice guide for beginners in stock trading. never lose more than that in a day because its hard to get it back and drawdown effects could be really bad on you. usually, i have followed and seen experts keeping a 1% or 2% as intraday SLs and on achieving a similar profit, revising your SL to cost can really come in handy. but for big ATR trades, the band can be a bit wider too and so could be the targets. thus, 50% of your price objective (PO) of the trade being achieved, you may revise your SL to cost and price moving above 50% of the PO, again revise SL to 0.5 to 1% above cost to save your capital the best.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response - I am a swing trader (3 - 5 days max) and I am well-versed on money management and the 2% rule.

Thanks for your response - anyone else care to weigh in on breakeven triggers?

sorry to barge in again. the 2% rule for swing trading of 3-5 days is not ideal. when holding positions for that kinda duration, SLs could be in the range of 4-6% or even more as 2% SLs will get disturbed easily on any unfavourable gap up or gap down opening itself.

Hmmm....I did just find this tidbit....Breakeven stop - this is calculated on the entry day and is implemented when the stock passes a "transition point". (eg. Move my initial stop to a breakeven stop when the price closes 2 ATRs above my entry price). I believe this transition/breakeven stop was part of the original Turtles trading technique.

Anyone else? I'd love to hear how you folks determine when to tighten things up a bit....

Stoploss management is different for day traders and swing traders. The advantage of day trading is that you can always re-enter your position if you get stopped out and conditions are still valid or set up again.

As a day trader I want to avoid too many losses so I keep stops tight and continue to tighten rather quickly. The premise is if price isn't moving in my direction then I want out (even exiting before stop is hit sometimes) and look for another opportunity. There's no set formula that determines when/where to move stops, I just watch the price movement and remember the goal is not to be right on every trade but to be in the black at the end of the day.

Peter

A Suggestion

This is one way of doing it.

If you go long at point a, drop down a time frame and when price retraces from a point b (as it inevitably will do at some point) wait for a point c to form and then price to close above that point b - at this time move your stop to B/E. When price pulls back from a point d to point e and then closes above point d then stop can be moved to just below point c and so on...

This assumes your long trade is good and price does indeed go north.

Vice versa for a short trade.

Just one way of doing it.

G/L

15qu64j.jpg