Worst Performing Hedge Funds

Hedge fund returns are based on the weighted average return of each hedge fund's long stock positions in 1000 large-cap companies since the end of the latest quarter for which 13F filings are available. The number of long stock positions are shown in the # of stocks field in the rankings table.

In other words the returns calculated by this website are potentially very different from those achieved by the fund. True though that many hedge funds have not had a happy time of it recently.

Yeah, in general, the $$multi million hedge fund manager is no better than many retail punters. Lot of pressure on them though so they just risk it all in hopes they make it big. Any of us can do that ourselves.

Peter

Yeah, in general, the $$multi million hedge fund manager is no better than many retail punters. Lot of pressure on them though so they just risk it all in hopes they make it big. Any of us can do that ourselves.

Peter

True with some of the spivvier little funds I guess and some of the more edgy funds that make the news when they inevitably blow up (and usually being run on own capital as institutional investors would have avoided them like the plague) but in general that's simply not correct. Most fund prospectuses will have very strict conditions on risk tolerance, including acceptable information ratios, beta, leverage, sharpe ratios, tracking errors, etc and a host of back office guys and systems checking in real time that they are not coming close to those levels. Although as an urban myth i guess it makes everyone feel a little better that they could be one of the big boys too ;)

Yeah, there's that fella in Australia who is making 900% a year.
I only meant to say that the methodology used is completely wrong. You can't take a bunch of 13F filings as if all the funds' assets are in there. It's just total nonsense.

Not sure what planet LMQ and PB are on, who is mrswan? or privatefx?

anyway some more links for looking up fund performance which is what this thread is about. It seems to me that McQueeny and PB should spend less time trashing threads and more time in the LIEbrary.

Hedge Funds - Worst Performing Hedge Funds - Insider Monkey

Autumn Gold CTA Performance & Analytics

Top 10 Systems Since Their Release Date

Research on Hedge Funds, Fund of Funds, and Managed Futures | Alternative Investments

STOCKS & COMMODITIES magazine