Working offline

--yachtie--

Hi all

I am going to be without regular broadband access for a period and I am looking for ideas on how to continue my self training.

What I would like is to be able to is, every evening (via dialup) download EOD from the LSE into a software package (cheap or free) that I can then use for charting, testing etc without being connected to the net.

The systems I have found so far all need broadband connection for them to access the data.

All ideas most welcome.

Cheers

Hi --yachtie--

Welcome to T2W, in the days of dial-up only internet I used updata for charting, maybe an idea to check them out, see what they offer also check out sharescope, I'm sure I used a demo of that pre-broadband also. Basically look out for a package that the main program resides on the hard drive rather than online...does such a thing exist these days? will be interested on others views here :)

Lightning

I've used sharescope gold in the past. I think it's about £150 including EOD data.

wot no cheapo updata!

I've used sharescope gold in the past. I think it's about £150 including EOD data.

I think that's the best option to be honest ninj, updata now weighs in at £100 a month :eek:

what happened to their cheapo £9.99 basic chart package, I thought it far better than sharescope at the time :rolleyes:

minimum spec on sharescope also ok, as they quote "Any modem Dial-up Internet"

ShareScope system requirements

Thanks for the pointers chaps, much appreciated but....

I am just starting out to see if this is something I can get into and therefore I don't really want to be laying out too much money up front.

Even if I do go for it real time it will be on a very low budget hobby basis as a challenge to the brain cells.

Any ideas on a slightly "cheaper" way of going about it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Any ideas on a slightly "cheaper" way of going about it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I think its the constraints you gave of dial-up/London data/cheap or free, may limit the choice a bit.

If you have broadband at this present moment then I would go to prorealtime.com and download everything required to run it, then see if it runs on dial-up, its free for EOD useage so worth a go.

Lightning

Sharescape Gold has a free demo that you can download with old EOD data. Might be usefull for backtesting...

Lightening McQueen wrote:

I think that's the best option to be honest ninj, updata now weighs in at £100 a month

what happened to their cheapo £9.99 basic chart package, I thought it far better than sharescope at the time

minimum spec on sharescope also ok, as they quote "Any modem Dial-up Internet"

Yeah, but!? :)

Sure that's true, but then that's the entry level and monthly cost of the Bloomberg Terminal or Professional version. (Updata are one of a limited number of approved suppliers of third software for Bloomberg.) Otherwise, I believe the monthly cost of subscriptions to Technical Analyst and/or Technical Analyst Trader for private investors comes in as follows: EOD is £29 plus VAT, Live (15 mins delayed streaming) is £49 plus VAT, TA Realtime £79 and TATrader £99 plus VAT per month. But then I suggest that it’s probably best to check with Updata to confirm the nature and scope of the software product you’re looking for, range and type of feeds and exchange fees where these are applicable, etc.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

prorealtime.com have great free of charge EOD data bt I don't know about the download requirements

(dislaimer: no commercial connecion with them)