Winter Breaks - Spain - 3 Months

neil

Legendary member
Hi folks,
She who is always obeyed and myself are trying to research prices and places to stay in Spain for a Winter break of some three months. January to March are the desired months; self catering the preferred accommodation.
My eyes are sore from attempting to sift through the so called accommodation sites on the web.

Southern Spain is preferred (heat?). Not sure what the Tourist Costas would be like in Winter.
Nonetheless I am open to suggestions re-other areas of Spain (We have never been to Spain).
Does anyone know of any sites etc where I can sift through details of low cost monthly Winter let rentals?:?:

I don't know about rentals etc or sites, but having paid a visit to Puerto Banus this summer that would be a very pleasant place to spend the winter. Marbella is nearby and Malaga airport not too far.

If I personally was going, I'd stay in my favourite part of Spain, Andalucia.
Beaches and skiing are available, a bit like California, but the Moorish architecture and culture are a revelation. With Seville, Granada, Cordoba and Ronda within easy driving range, you've got everything good and no yobs. Food is excellent and the wine far better than you'd expect.
Richard

Last edited:
Hi neil,
She who must be obeyed (mine, not yours!) and I are off on a reci to Malaga in a couple of weeks with the same game plan. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the main resorts and most of the Med' coastline is ghastly. By contrast, the atlantic coast is very pretty. The cities are great, but Sevilla can be cold in winter and it's very expensive. Malaga has a better climate and it's a lot cheaper. Here are a few sites which might be of interest if you've not come across them already:
Andalucia information, tourism holiday destinations, accommodation, property and culture, Spain.
Self catering holiday villas, apartments, cottages, for rental worldwide
Holiday villas in Spain,
Tim.

Thanks

Hi neil,
She who must be obeyed (mine, not yours!) and I are off on a reci to Malaga in a couple of weeks with the same game plan. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the main resorts and most of the Med' coastline is ghastly. By contrast, the atlantic coast is very pretty. The cities are great, but Sevilla can be cold in winter and it's very expensive. Malaga has a better climate and it's a lot cheaper. Here are a few sites which might be of interest if you've not come across them already:
Andalucia information, tourism holiday destinations, accommodation, property and culture, Spain.
Self catering holiday villas, apartments, cottages, for rental worldwide
Holiday villas in Spain,
Tim.

Thanks guys. Andalucia seems to deserve a closer look.

Marbella and Puerto Banus in particular would be great places to spend the winter as theres some fantastic spots around there and you wont get bored. You can find great places like San Pedro and Fuengirola as well.
I was there ovver the summer too Mr Charts, dont suppose you did a Sunday afternoon at Nikki Beach by any chance? Bloody marvellous totty.

Marbella and Banus are great for a weekend or so... But other than that....???? Well there is an el Corte Inglés, which will be fabulous for the wife but bad for the wallet.

I would suggest somewhere like Granada, Seville... if you want to be by the sea, Tarifa is fabulous, with wonderful beaches... a couple of suggestions for you to be out and about are Rhonda (charm by the bucketload), of course you could always pop over into Gib and to the touristy bits (tunnels, cave, monkeys, cable car, load up on fags and booze... you can get the whole country done in a busy day)... or, if your feeling brave, go and find some Dolphins in the straights or take the ferry over to Tangiers...

In short, Plenty to do in Andalacia. That'd be where I'd start

I agree with most of what MrGecko says - Puerto Banus is fun to visit for a day just to watch the sad people sit on the deck of a £50million yacht that they've rented by the hour drinking Pimms' so that passers by think they own it. I wouldn't have thought you'd want to live there though as it's fearfully expensive. As for resorts like Fuengirola and Torremolinos, fine if you want to eat spam, egg 'n' chips in Jacks pub, surrounded by sunburnt expats in union jack shorts reading yesterday's copy of the Sun. Inland cities like Sevilla and Granada especially will be COLD in winter. Tarifa is great but I'm not sure about it as a place to live. The strong wind is unrelenting and is thought to be the cause of the town's abnormally high suicide rate. The thing to understand about Andalucia is that it has many micro climates. To illustrate, you could be in a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada near Granada and, in little over an hour's drive, be sunbathing on a beach. Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's universally hot everywhere just because it's southern Spain.
Tim.