Why not use the exchanges?

I'm completely opposed to all forms of IP for computer software, and I totally disagree that having no IP would be as stifling as having too much. We live in a captialistic society where the market rewards new ideas and provides an incentive for businesses to innovate and stay one step ahead of the game.

If the EU allows software patents, it could be the single most damaging move in the history of IT and things could get very messy indeed...

I'm completely opposed to all forms of IP for computer software, and I totally disagree that having no IP would be as stifling as having too much. We live in a captialistic society where the market rewards new ideas and provides an incentive for businesses to innovate and stay one step ahead of the game.

If the EU allows software patents, it could be the single most damaging move in the history of IT and things could get very messy indeed...

This very reason is why we need IP law. In a capitalist society, companies are not going to spend millions or billions researching and developing new ideas if they know that once they have the innovative product, their chance of making that money back and some profit on top is virtually nil because any tom dick or harry can produce a generic rip-off version and undercut their price.

IP law isn't something someone just made up for sh**s and giggles - it serves an important role in encouraging innovation.

As to your previous post, just because someone tries to patent something, does not mean that it automatically qualifies for patent protection - even if a patent is approved it can be legally challenged. The principle of patent law is that you can only patent something that is genuinely innovative - if TT's thing isn't then it shouldn't qualify. here are the guidelines:
HTML:
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/whatis/whatis-patent.htm

Can you provide some specific examples where you believe that having a patent is truly needed? I believe that copyright is sufficient protection for the vast majority of (if not all) commercial software.

I'm completely opposed to all forms of IP for computer software, and I totally disagree that having no IP would be as stifling as having too much.

What I meant to say here was that I'm completely opposed to software patents. I have no issues with copyright, trademarks, etc.