why comfort zone trading will ruin traders?

foroom lluzers

Veteren member
Traders can only execute trades within their comfort zone , despite being given free profitable methods and systems.They will fail to follow a trading plan ,if any factors are out side their comfort zone .

Traders are often paralyzed in executing trades , if there is ,risk of loss of real money , fear of loss , anxiety about outcome of trade , fear of being incorrect about a trade entry or exit , the memory of previous losses , being wrong about a trade or feeling of imperfect trade entry , system trade is against the biases and beliefs of the context of the trade , losing trade instead of being in a winning trade for a temporary period and there are other conflicts between the mindset factors above and the actual trade data.

The systems /method must always fit within their comfort zone , every trader must design his own comfort zone system , within their risk tolerance levels acceptable to their subconscious mind.A person on a wage of £300 a week is unlikely to subconsciously accept a loss of £300 , because it is equivalent to their weekly living income , even though he could earn £2,000 per week from trading.

Each of the above factors that define a comfort zone are a subject in themselves.
There is also free google search with so much unbiased information on trader's comfort zones and discussion videos on comfort zones.Here are a few to start the education on your comfort zone.

https://2ndskiesforex.com/trading-s...termines-successful-forex-trading-psychology/

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/comfort_zone.html

Last edited:
Great thread wasn't it, and that last trade put me at an overall profit(y)

Good for psychoanalysis but dangerous for new traders to copy trades .

The Dax trade was ok but the stop loss was too tight to profit .Is this because you are too scared to lose money?If you had put a wider stop , you would have made about 200 ticks IMHO.

Do you do this because you are not willing/comfortable with losses of wider stops?

I didn't get it why the comfort zone is bad for a trader. For example, I'm comfortable trading at a risk of 1%. Is it bad and how can it ruin my trade?

The ones that do not find their comfort zone are likely to be nervous wrecks and age rapidly.
Not a good way to go really.
But the young and adventurous are likely to try as many systems as they can and why not, as long as their money and health hold up.

Wisdom in Trading (as in life) only begins when one realises how little one knows or has learnt to date .....only when one accepts and embraces their nescience can the path to wisdom truly begin.....

You are the perfect example for psychoanalysis of a trader , trading in his comfort zone on occasions , on other occasions somebody who has no comfort zone .One can perform a psychoanalysis on the trading in this thread.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/225128-brewskis-leverage-abuse.html

And this thread too
Here's the thing though, he's way beyond psychoanal -ysis, he has entered the zone of Proctology and in 5 years will be like the fat guy in the 2nd link. We have to help this boy.

I like my comfort zone and have no intention of changing.
Should beginners learn to swim by jumping in at the deep end ?
Obviously not.
I don't claim to be a great trader but at least I am still in the game,

Its not that trading in comfort zone can ruin or something, but I think going out of your comfort zone just helps you escalate your knowledge, skills and earning consequently.

i would advise every experienced trader to frequently take time out to look for better edges ....im on a sabbatical at the moment and playing with a lot of other ideas and systems

The motive is to earn good in forex so however you feel, just do that way.

A successful trader mindset is required , that is ready and prepared to lose real money , for risk of loss in their subconscious , a probability based mindset , prepared for exit of the breakdown of trends and failure of market timing tactics.
yes, it’s important to learn what are the various steps, skills, and mindset you’ll need to learn along the way so you don’t go too far outside your comfort zone and set yourself up for inevitable failure.

In general you do have to go outside of your comfort zone in order to improve - professionally and personally, too. For someone who has never risked any money, the very act of starting to trade is far out of their comfort zone.
But on the long run, pushing past your comfort zone is an overrated concept. I agree with what has been said in many replies, you need to be somewhat comfortable with what you are doing if you don't want to burn out, and if you have found a method that's working for you and you're happy with it, it's okay to just stick with it.

I think it depends on how you define comfort zone. I like my trading to be boring and high probability. I try and eliminate uncertainty where I can. I only feel that 1% risk is sufficient for my own risk management. It works for me so is an acquired comfort zone of sorts.