Who ever said it would be easy

craigd

Hi,

Well the first thing is to decide where I put the post! I have been a member for some time but this is the first time I've actually contributed (I use that word very tentatively). So here goes this is Me.. and where I am at – not very far really!!

I've been looking longingly at my computer for some years now, not the same PC I hasten to add but I think you know what I mean. I had a subscription to a program and data source for some time but never really found the time to sit down and do anything with it, you know all the excuses; work, the kids etc. Blah blah

Anyway a few months ago we all move to Dubai (All part of the plan and My Wife said it would be great!!) I was on my way, I sent her in doors out of doors and off to work and became a trading house husband. Great I thought. I spent some time before we left setting up an account with a broker who agreed to give me access to their papertrading server to test both their system and mine not that I have any YET. I already had the software, away we go.... Easy right.

WRONG

It all went pear shaped (and I mean ALL). The brokers paper trading account was down more than it was up. The program I've had for some time, well, lets’ just say it wasn't up to what I wanted to do with it and the support could have been better too.

But we bounce back, but even bouncing seems to be difficult sometimes. Having searched the boards for some time I decided to bite the bullet and totally change everything, not that there was much left functioning properly to worry about, it is a little confusing though. I have just opened an account with IB, haven't traded it yet but it will allow me to papertrade the actual live system in theory.

The software presents another problem I have short listed the software replacement to 3 probables. But heres what I can't understand, one of the programs on my list is Tradestation, its supposed to be good but am I the only one that is annoyed at the apparent arrogance of Tradestation. I am leaning towards FT futures + a few other instruments mainly because of the favourable time difference. The Brokerage side of TS don't do UK at the moment, but unless I open an account and fund it I have to pay $249 for a trial of the software.

I guess that only leaves 2 real probables then. Anyway that me not quite a trader yet ( may be that should be nowhere near a trader) but I’m on my way!!

welcome mate, and all the best....... what about Forex? thats a great learning ground . Great opps around the time zones.

why trading for you?

Thanks FX, actually I have been looking at Forex, I started out of desperation when the broker let me down. Great, got a trial account with FXCM to practice with in minutes. Great for looking at price action, I only trade it with MACD osc.Although its still partially dependant on the opening times of certain countries it seems. I can pull off some quite good results but I haven't managed to keep them yet.

craigd said:
The Brokerage side of TS don't do UK at the moment, but unless I open an account and fund it I have to pay $249 for a trial of the software.

TradeStation have a UK office now, it would seem, from looking at the TS web homepage. they dont do European markets however, go figure on that one... :rolleyes:

What price range are you looking at craigd? I have had a few trials and some of the pro traders in my old outfit have had some other packages maybe I can help you out.

Unfortunately when it comes to brokers and the like there are a lot of people who want cash for refusing to answer the phone, that's why I prefer software trading and DMA.

Let me know how you get on and have a look Proquote (they are good but have a few hickups now and then and very expensive).
What features are you desperate for mate and I will have a word with some old contacts as well to see what they recommend / use.

All the best

if you want to keep costs to a bare minimum while you figure out your papertrading, there are a number of free charting packages available that work in conjunction with IB.

You could also look at NinjaTrader for your order management as it also works with IB and is free to use in sim mode.