Can Tradestation 8.3 be used as a standalone?

Synonym

Hi all
i've been looking into the following and at the moment i seem to be getting conflicting information. I hope some of you will be able to put me straight.

Does tradestation 8.3 need you to have a live tradestation account to work, does it look to their server when you use it? Or is it possible to use the software with Owndata and a 3rd party feed (e.g. IQ) and therefore have it a a standalone modern equivilant of TS2000i? I could simply buy TS2000i, but i find it hard to fork out £1600, plus buy a datafeed interface, for a 9 year old piece of software that is not really supported.
Multicharts should be the answer, but unfortunately it just seems to have too many bugs and i question the quality of the support.
Any advice/insught would be appreciated.
Cheers
Syn

it is possible to "buy" cracked copies of TS 8.3 and higher, and use it as standalone program in conjunction with a 3rd party data feed with owndata, but its not designed to work this way and much of its functionality wont work. additionally, you will be dealing with pirates and leave yourself exposed to installing trojans and all kinds of hidden malware or backdoors that could enable access your financial info or trading account.

I use MultiCharts, its an excellent alternative to TS and support is first rate.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm sorry for the huge delay in my reply but i've been away.

HI Arbitrageur
To be honest i'm a little stuck as to what to do. I've spent a considerable amoint of time reviewing teh trading software available. Multicharts came out tops for me as it has great functionality and seems to meet most if not all of my trading needs In addition it is also able to do some things which i may well want to do down the line. I swing trade US futures and stocks, sometimes using intraday signals. I was trialing MC just to ensure that all was well before i bought it and at this time i started to find quite a lot of comments about various serious bugs and stability issues in Multicharts, with particlular problems on swing charts, something which i rely on heavily. The response to their customer by the support team has been less than ideal on a number of ocassions. This has really put me off MC. I can't find software that can easily replace MC and so i keep wondering if it's worth taking the risk... but then i think of the issues on swing trading charts that MC are either not bothered or not able to fix!

TStudio looks a great strategy development and testing platform, but for the moment is only EOD, plus it does not have the charting capabilities i need at present. TStation could provide the charting i need, and so this si what has lead me to where i am now. Wondering if i can have TS 8.3 standalone, as i'm having trouble paying £1600 (which is the going rate) for a new copy of TS2000i, a virtually dead, ten year old piece of software, with minimal support. What to do!

Would you mind telling me what kind of trading/analysis you use MC (swing or real time?) for and have you come across any issues with it? I'd appreciate your experiences.
Thanks
Syn

If you're talking about the swing issues reported by a user called proflogic or members of his group, those issues have all been completely resolved now from what i know of that situation, and the issue was with corruption in their shared database causing data holes.

there have been occasional functionality bugs in the past, but these are usually in the beta versions rather than the released version. My use of MC is quite specific and most issues others have reported do not affect me, but the one time I had a problem, I got one-on-one support and they issued a patch within a few days. top banana, I'd like to see TS try to replicate that level of customer support, never mind the fact I was once on hold trying to contact TS support in the past for over three hours.

Spending money on TS2000i would be dead money - I bought that product about nine years ago and it was barely supported then.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

If you're talking about the swing issues reported by a user called proflogic or members of his group, those issues have all been completely resolved now from what i know of that situation, and the issue was with corruption in their shared database causing data holes.

Partly those, but otehr others not linked to that group have also experienced chronic data gaps problems on swing charts too.

there have been occasional functionality bugs in the past, but these are usually in the beta versions rather than the released version. My use of MC is quite specific and most issues others have reported do not affect me, but the one time I had a problem, I got one-on-one support and they issued a patch within a few days. top banana, I'd like to see TS try to replicate that level of customer support, never mind the fact I was once on hold trying to contact TS support in the past for over three hours.

Well you can't expect more than that! Mmmm TS support is abismal it seems (have never used them)

Spending money on TS2000i would be dead money - I bought that product about nine years ago and it was barely supported then.
That's my main concern.

Thanks for your input
cheers
syn

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

Partly those, but otehr others not linked to that group have also experienced chronic data gaps problems on swing charts too.

Well you can't expect more than that! Mmmm TS support is abismal it seems (have never used them)

That's my main concern.

Thanks for your input
cheers
syn

I have TS8.3 and an account with them. I also have an IB account and, in the past, used Amibroker. You might want to consider that as an alternative. They have a programming language similar to TS, but the cost is a one-off purchase cost of around $200. They have interfaces to several brokers and data-feeds. Their website gives details of free trials and also lots of documentation regarding the programming language, so you could evaluate them without any monetary commitment.

You didn't say whether you had some TS indicators already that you would need to convert into some other platform language, but if you don't then this is one that is worth looking at.

Charlton

I have TS8.3 and an account with them. I also have an IB account and, in the past, used Amibroker. You might want to consider that as an alternative. They have a programming language similar to TS, but the cost is a one-off purchase cost of around $200. They have interfaces to several brokers and data-feeds. Their website gives details of free trials and also lots of documentation regarding the programming language, so you could evaluate them without any monetary commitment.

You didn't say whether you had some TS indicators already that you would need to convert into some other platform language, but if you don't then this is one that is worth looking at.

Charlton
HI Charlton
thanks for the advice. I have looked at Ami and had the trial. I really like teh software, it's got great flexibility, stablity and functionality. Plus the support team seems really good too. Thing is, i'm no programmer and it looks a bit of a steep curve for me to get to what i want to be able to do, indepth backtesting, walkforward testing, etc. I found it hard to even get pivot point levels to display properly. I know there is a great Ami community and that i could pay for some coding given the saving of teh softwrae, trouble is, ideally i don't want to have the constraints on my creativity what developing strategies, which using AFL would. i have no real liking for easylanguage, however there is that much of it out there, it's pretty easy to cobble code together.
Cheers
Syn

Charlton

Hi Charlton.
I am planning to open a brokerage account (or two) and the two canididate ATM are IB and Tradestation. If I will go for TS it will be for their charting capabilities.
I was under the impression that TS should be the most complete and best performing charting software, but have not found many reviews so far in this forum.
Would you care to give me some info about your experience with TS both as a broker and as a Software package.
PS in your post I seem to understand that you are not very satisfied, since you are suggesting Amibroker

Hi Charlton.
I am planning to open a brokerage account (or two) and the two canididate ATM are IB and Tradestation. If I will go for TS it will be for their charting capabilities.
I was under the impression that TS should be the most complete and best performing charting software, but have not found many reviews so far in this forum.
Would you care to give me some info about your experience with TS both as a broker and as a Software package.
PS in your post I seem to understand that you are not very satisfied, since you are suggesting Amibroker
Hi

I will begin with the last point first - you have misinterpreted my reply.

The originator of the thread "Synonym", wanted to know if an account was needed to run TS8.3, if it was possible to run TS8.3 in standalone mode and that he did not want to buy TS200i at £1600 or Multicharts.

I was giving other cheap alternatives that provided fairly comprehensive programming capability and a reasonable (but not the best) charting facility, with ability to interface to various brokers and datafeeds.

So back to the alternatives you mention:
(a) IB - I have an IB account and the main advantage of this account is that is is a "universal" account i.e. you can use this same account (funded once) for stocks, forex, futures or whatever you wish. You can hold your funds in any base currency (which you can change whenever you wish) and trade in any other currency. You can trade many different markets e.g. UK and US.

Disadvantage - the charting is IMHO poor and there is no equivalent to TS or Amibroker of any kind of programming language for advanced strategies.

Now I must emphasise that the advantages/disadvantages of any particular platform for any individual trader depend upon their personal circumstances i.e. which instruments they want to trade, what size account, what kind of tools they use (S/R, FIBs, create own indicators etc), whether they need external feeds, whether they are scalping and need macros and short-cuts etc, so to get the kind of reviews you require you need to provide a list of your requirements for both a broker and a platform including what you trade, how frequently, style of trading etc.

In the years that I have had an account with IB I am perfectly happy with the platform and the broker for my own particular needs.

(b) Tradestation 8.4
I have both the platform and an account with them. I trade more than the minimum number of shares per month, such that I get the platform (including radar-screen) free.

The main advantage of this platform is the comprehensive programming language that enables me to automate trading (or strictly speaking will enable me as it is still work in progress). The charting facilities are pretty decent, but I only need to use a fraction of the charting functionality.

The programming language is supported by various forums where you get ideas, code and help, which is handy. Having said that I have hit issues/limitations with the language that required some creative work-arounds, but have so far not needed to code outside of the product itself.

On the brokerage side, I think the available orders are perhaps not as comprehensive as IB, so that may be one disadvantage. Others include - having to open separate accounts for forex or other instruments (with their own separate funding) and limited to US. For me I am using the account only for US equities, so that does not concern me.

I am perfectly happy with both the platform and the broker for my particular requirements.

As I said earlier, if you want a more comprehensive answer from myself or others you will need to be more specific with your wish-list

Charlton

Hi viclondon
just in case you have't come across it the following has lots of reviews, info and insights on USA markets & tools. Check the software and broker sections and the appropriate forums.

elitetrader.com

hope this helps
Syn