Whats propping it up?

wow thanks for the history lesson. and who says im not backing it up with money?

new_trader your a ****in fanny you contribute nothing to this forum so go fck off eh

also if you think the world is the same place as it was in 1929 and will follow the exact same path your clearly a complete moron.

also if you think the world is the same place as it was in 1929 and will follow the exact same path your clearly a complete moron.

Hmmm...not sure If I should contribute now or phuck off like you wanted me too...

One last quote...not sure if this counts as a contribution:

The most dangerous thing you can ever say about the stock market is "Things are different this time"

You must be around 23 years old...or younger....so smart...

well seeing your such an expert you should know how the gold standard effected the great deperesion. are we still on the gold stanard? did central banks and world governments act in the same way they have now? so yeh its is NOT the same as it was.

well seeing your such an expert you should know how the gold standard effected the great deperesion. are we still on the gold stanard? did central banks and world governments act in the same way they have now? so yeh its is NOT the same as it was.

Ok, forget the flame wars and name calling. Just watch this video and 'ignore' the fact that it is about the 1929 crash.

The Crash of 1929

well i guess time will tell. i personally think we wont follow the exact path of the great depression. if you do, then buy some lots of puts for the next few years :)

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" But have we learned from the great depression? maybe not about what caused it (seeing we have gone and done it again). How ever, i think the world has learnt how to deal with a depression and the measures taken at the moment WILL make the difference

I dont know about you lot, but I prefer to trade what I see............

Attachments

• ftse.gif
    ftse.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 199
I like to call this the "fear of missing out" trade... Working in the city, it is clear that most guys running the smart money haven't participated in this crazy rally (the saying "sh#t floats" has never been more true!) - and they feel pretty miserable about it!

Hence what we've seen is people who haven't yet enjoyed the upside, using any pullbacks as a chance to get in and buy beta which is a massive change in psychology to only a few months ago. Even the more traditional/conservative funds have had to get their hands dirty. This is what has helped support the market to the upside.

Fair play to Odey, he saw opportunity when the rest of the world was in a state of irrational selling. However, it is starting to feel like its gone too far the other way, for now at least.

Therefore whilst I do believe this rally is running out of steam and we may see a return to range trading soon (esp' as the FTSE and others reach key resistence levels) I don't expect there to be a major pullback to the levels seen earlier in the year. We're going to have to wait until Q3/Q4 for that, assuming there are no green shoots of course.

good post buddy.:)

I would agree with you but given the state of the economy and the fact that we are talking about the FTSE here and not forex I dont think the chart you're using has enough data. I'd be looking at a 5 year chart at least.

I would agree with you but given the state of the economy and the fact that we are talking about the FTSE here and not forex I dont think the chart you're using has enough data. I'd be looking at a 5 year chart at least.

I hear where your coming from, the economy is supposed to be really bad isnt it?

What, you trade a big thick pink line of predicted prices? ;-)

Could you please do me one of gold going to $20,000

thanks
Xeno

What's holding it up?

Human nature. People have had too much bad news and are immune to it at the moment. After enough bad news, it's bound to feel like the bad news is bottoming out.

The reality is that the green shoots are pathetic blips of slowing down bad data, or volumes bouncing off near zero. In contrast, the bad news is hard real facts about GDP, available credit and unemployment. The blips are all normal parts of a bear market.

At the start of the banking crisis, most experts agreed that it wouldn't be over until all of the banks' toxic debt has gone. That hasn't happened yet. We're probably only half way through it. Global property prices are still falling, and the toxic debt can't be valued until they stop, so unless the government buys or insures it all, the banking system is still in for a big shock.

Banks 'leading' us in the recovery is the funniest irony of the whole green shoots hysteria.

We'll see. We'll see. I've taken a bit of a beating today with stops being hit all over the place. Reversal in full flight now.