TOTW Which books have most influenced your trading and why?

Sharky

Staff
With winter fast approaching for many of us and the nights drawing in, there's every reason to dive into a good book. So for this week's TOTW, we pose the question:

Which books have most influenced your trading and why?

Last week's TOTW: Are you addicted to trading?

Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas

He writes in a practical way about trader's own psychology that ultimately makes one a successful or failed trader.

Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas

He writes in a practical way about trader's own psychology that ultimately makes one a successful or failed trader.

I agree, Mark Douglas' books are well worth reading. The Disiplined Trader is very good as well. Learning the rules to trade a system can be learned in days, the psychological side can take years.

Sharky, that's easy,

The Kama Sutra, because you have to learn all the ways the market can ferk you, then you can finally start to make money.....

Happy Days............:)

Sharky, that's easy,

The Kama Sutra, because you have to learn all the ways the market can ferk you, then you can finally start to make money.....

Happy Days............:)

Lol

Would agree with you there ;-) and then add 2 more books to help you deal with these institutional bar stewards -

Art of War - by Sun Tzu - classic of knowing your enemy - ie the banks and other players

Web of Deceit - Black Widow - game and reference book - that's what you will be dealing with

Every thing else failed to discuss all the manipulation and tricks that take place with the Industry - novices - be aware ;)

F

I like the old tales from the trading floors ....

Liars Poker,
City Boy,
Too Big to Fail,
Traders Guns and Money
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
Ugly Americans

"The Next Big Investment Boom" by Mark Shipman.
(How to profit from commodities).

In hindsight, it's probably not that great a book, but it's what first got me interested in trading, trends, and TA, so in a way, it's had the greatest influence, although I've learned a lot more elsewhere since.

Later on I became quite enamoured of the whole Turtle thing, e.g. "Trend Following" by Michael Covel, but again it's probably not exactly a great book.

More recently it would be "Currency Trading and Intermarket Analysis" by Ashraf Laidi, which doesn't really teach you how to trade, but does help give one a deeper appreciation of the markets.

There isn't a single book that I'd now recommend, but I would recommend reading widely. One can always learn something.

for me its still the market wizards series.........the insight into each of those dudes is fascinating.............and it proves that there are many ways to make money if you look hard enough

N

Winnie the Pooh

“He could see the honey, he could smell the honey, but he couldn't quite reach the honey.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“Before beginning a Hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it.“

“You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.“

Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

The zinger is on the cover :)

The Creature from Jekyll Island - G. Edward Griffin

Prepares one for playing in the markets: Know thy enemy.

B.

The Power of now by Eckhart Tolle, Forex Price Action by Bob Volman, Reading price chart bar by bar by Al Brooks, The investor quotient by Jake Bernstein.

Last edited:
"Trading the Measured Move" by David Halsey

Very simple premise - wait for it to come half-way-back aka 50% retrace

Second choice Bob Volman

-Bill_M

The Way to Trade Forex by Jay is simple and straight to the point book. He has also mentioned some ways to do trading which as a beginner helped me a lot.

"How the Futures Markets Work" by Jake Bernstein. I fount it very helpful for market understanding.

read all you can about market manipulation its not 100% we don't know how much its manipulated but it worked for me and also gann books.

Trading in the Zone, Mark Douglas
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, Edwin Lefevre
Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader, Peter Brandt
Tomorrow's Gold: Asia's age of discovery, Marc Faber
Human Action, L. von Mises