What's to avoid while trading real markets?

JamieSorres

Dear Traders,

I am aware that getting good trading system testing results and actually applying the system to real trading is not quite the same. There are a lot more risks than can be predicted during the development and testing process which may include...

- technology, that is, you try to place a trade online but your broker's server would not response.
- broker misconduct, that is,
- when a broker gives you one price, but process the order by another,
- or moving the market away from your limit orders,
- or just calculating a diffrent current market value by hands...

I am not trying to judge brokers, its their job and their rules, we are only left with either to comply or not to comply with those rules.

The question that I would like to ask here is...

*** what should or shouldn't I do in order to avoid mistakes in real trading? ***

For instance, I have heard that...
- neither before a holiday or a weekend nor before the major new releas it is safe to leave your positions in-market.
- it is better to have an independent datafeed from you broker.
- it is better to use regular commission fees rather than discount brokerage.
- it is advised to have a 24-hour monitoring of your positions.
- in order to seek success in trading mini-futures it's better to have no lower than $20000 to $25000 of account size.

Maintain and check your calendars of...
- major market information (%bonds, unemployment rates, inflation, etc),
- dividends issued,
- splits,
- quarterly reports,

It is not advised to beginners to trade intraday...

I was wordering if anyone knows of forums or sites where this kind of questions has already been discussed. Any links or just information will be greatly appreciated.

and again the main question is as follows...
*** what should or shouldn't I do in order to avoid mistakes in real trading? ***

Thank you for you responses and help in advance,

Jamie.