what's in a chart?

barjon

Legendary member
In an idle moment - trading quiet and you're all being very well-behaved on the boards :D - I thought I'd chart words just for a lark. Number of letters in the word gave the range, if opening letter was higher up in the aphabet than the closing letter it's a down bar (and vice versa) with letters above or below open/close giving the high low.

Here's a chart of the opening sentence in my trading plan. Nice bit of resistance and a couple of false breaks as those evil market makers gunnned the stops before galloping off in the other direction. Solid support though and a nice doji to signal the final rise back up to resistance :LOL: :LOL:

good trading

jon

Attachments

• lark.gif
    lark.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 347
you really have a lot of time on your hands dont you?

having said that, i can probably code something into excel to generate the charts automatically...

:)

I couldn't resist - I like puzzles. These three charts are the first page of Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. Good trending book, and nice breakout play in paragraph five.

Attachments

• reminiscences_1.gif
    reminiscences_1.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 299
  • reminiscences_2.gif
    reminiscences_2.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 401
  • reminiscences_3.gif
    reminiscences_3.gif
    5 KB · Views: 303
nice work black cab.. can you go up a timeframe and do it on chapters, rather than words? i'd like to see the longer-term picture before making a decision :)

:LOL: :LOL:

a bit of fun, but there is a serious point behind it. patterns will appear in charts however generated and it's all too easy to rationalise what is seen and draw spurious conclusions.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
In an idle moment - trading quiet and you're all being very well-behaved on the boards :D - I thought I'd chart words just for a lark. Number of letters in the word gave the range, if opening letter was higher up in the aphabet than the closing letter it's a down bar (and vice versa) with letters above or below open/close giving the high low.

Here's a chart of the opening sentence in my trading plan. Nice bit of resistance and a couple of false breaks as those evil market makers gunnned the stops before galloping off in the other direction. Solid support though and a nice doji to signal the final rise back up to resistance :LOL: :LOL:

good trading

jon
Actually it is crackable, along these lines ~ precisely why I'm ready....etc.,

If I have spare time I will give it a go.

Kind Regards,

barjon said:
:LOL: :LOL:

a bit of fun, but there is a serious point behind it. patterns will appear in charts however generated and it's all too easy to rationalise what is seen and draw spurious conclusions.

good trading

jon

barjon

Does this mean that you will be abandoning the reading of the candles in favour of some other form of cash eating method? Perhaps Seymour could assist !

Regards

bracke

SOCRATES said:
Who is Seymour may I ask ? Is he your pet bulldog, by any chance ?

Not quite but I believe that his countenance is not disimilar. He also operates as Fettered Chinos, a name to strike fear into the hearts of those searching for profitable trading systems but is welcomed with open arms by Spread Betting Companies and Brokers alike !

Regards

bracke

Aaaaah ! ....Now I understand perfectly.

I only brought up the subject because I once had a dog that talked, you know. I was also in the process of teaching it to count as well.

I am much obliged to you my dear Bracke, and wish you a peaceful and satisfying weekend.

Kind Regards,

Seymour

It's always nice to be appreciated even if sacasm is considered the lowest form of wit, not that I subscibe to that view but then I wouldn't, would I.

SOCRATES

I understand that Seymour can talk but his counting abilities are open to doubt. Sorry it's that drated that sarcasm again, I must get some treatment for it.

Thank you for your weekend wishes which I return.

Regards

bracke