What would be in the ultimate trading book?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what is it about trading books that keeps you wanting to read more and more of them? If there was one trading book to conquer them all what would you want in it?

Personally I like exact strategies that are completely mechanical and testable...no room for differing interpretations. Exact time frames, markets and parameter settings all laid out.

Sections on behavioural finance and why traders are prone to making crappy decisions from time to time.

Real wizard trader interviews with questions focused on how they overcome the issues raised in the behavioural finance chapters.

A large section on different position sizing techniques and how they each make a difference to the returns of the exact strategy already laid out.

Written details of how to run basic excel spreadsheets for things like a correlation matrix, portfolio VAR etc

A section on backtesting and statistical verification processes that is written for the layman, again using excel examples in a step by step guide.

What else would be good and necessary in your opinion?

The ideal trading book
Page 1: A trite quote, thanks to God or something and thanks to wifey for putting up with author
Page 2: Big Bold Capitals: Don't do it, seriously just forget it
Page 3: Reference section: blank

Personally I like exact strategies that are completely mechanical and testable...no room for differing interpretations. Exact time frames, markets and parameter settings all laid out.

Sounds like the rich bank/institution on the other side of your trade would be so dumb that they would act like a mechanical automaton and be utterly predictable. I wonder how they got so rich when they are so dumb.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what is it about trading books that keeps you wanting to read more and more of them? If there was one trading book to conquer them all what would you want in it?

Sections on behavioural finance and why traders are prone to making crappy decisions from time to time.

Real wizard trader interviews with questions focused on how they overcome the issues raised in the behavioural finance chapters.

A large section on different position sizing techniques and how they each make a difference to the returns of the exact strategy already laid out.

Written details of how to run basic excel spreadsheets for things like a correlation matrix, portfolio VAR etc

A section on backtesting and statistical verification processes that is written for the layman, again using excel examples in a step by step guide.

the best books do dude ..........its the Trader being Human and failing to execute properly and consistently thats 95% of the problem ;)

N

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I think the section on behavioural finance would be one of the most interesting for me. Technical indicators are an individual preference and many will make a case both for and against the various indicators and everyone will have their preferred ones. Whereas human emotions tend to be very similar for us all, I’m sure we have all made the same mistakes based on emotion on various trades and it’s taking that out of the equation that I think is one of the most important parts of trading. Once the emotion has gone the rest is on the screen in front of you.

Maybe I should read more books on phycology than trading ha!