What to trade with a day job

Anamorphic

Hi, I am learning to spread bet but I have a day job so, what markets are live in the evening GMT ?

Thanks and apologies for the insanely basic question.

Hi, I am learning to spread bet but I have a day job so, what markets are live in the evening GMT ?

Thanks and apologies for the insanely basic question.
Hi Anamorphic,
If you open a demo account with a spread betting broker, you'll be able to see for yourself the markets that are open in the evenings. Trading around a full time job has more to do with the trader you are - i.e. day, swing or position trader - than it does choice of market. If you're a swing or position trader - then you can trade pretty much any market by placing 'set 'n forget' pending limit and stop orders. If you want to day trade, then yes, your choice of market will be limited to the hours you're able to spend in front of the screen.

For addition info', this article may be of interest: Trading When in a Full Time Job by Brendan Egan.
HTH,
Tim.

Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply - the link is very helpful also.

I was already thinking of Forex but which pairs to look at is where I am at the moment - its all part of learning this fascinating subject !

It will probably chew me up and spit me out !!

Last edited:
Hi Anamorphic

Have a look at Niel Fullers site trading the day chart, ie each bar is very good and the strategy can be adapted to trade on the 4hr and 1hr chart

Here is a nice market hours converter: http://www.forexmarkethours.com/
Depending on what evening means to you then you may be able to trade the second half of US and few hours of sydney.
Set and forget as well as automated strategies may work well in your case.

Hi Giovan

That is brilliant, thanks !

Just a question, can the GB pound be traded when the ftse is closed ?

. . . Just a question, can the GB pound be traded when the ftse is closed ?
Hi Anamorphic,
The short answer is yes. However, the question implies that you don't understand fully the nature of spread betting products.

Take a look at the product details page on IG. As you can see, the FTSE is 'open' and can be traded more or less around the clock. The same will apply to currencies. This is because with a spread betting broker, you are trading their prices, which are based on the underlying market, but are not the same as the underlying market. This explains why to can trade the FTSE long after the London Stock Exchange shuts up shop at 4.30pm. You may be wondering what the SB firms base their prices on if the underlying cash index is closed? The answer is the futures. This applies to all equity indices (i.e. Dow and Dax etc.) not just the FTSE.
HTH.
Tim.

Hi Tim

I grately appreciate your help and the time to provide the link to IGs product details page.

It is interesting that I have not come across this info in all that I have read and watched, good job I asked.

Just one more question, when the ftse (for example) is closed, would its trading be alot less active or volitile ?

hey Anarmorphic

I would suggest you submerge yourself in learning/researching trading for a few months and then decide if its for you ............

use T2W and other big forums ......you will get plenty of leads then to research other things

you need to see whats out there ............and dont buy anything !!

regards
N

Hi NVP

Thats my plan, I am very aware of my lack of knowledge so I am reading and watching everything that I can.

Thanks for your help