What sort of returns are people really making?

If you are referring to which pairs to trade
I only trade the 4 majors
gb/usd
euro/usd
usd/chf
usd/jpy

A large part of my trading involves using N.B'S BREAKOUT STRATEGY
I have added my own additional features to help me but if you follow the startegy I am sure you will find it very useful

Thanks for that (y) I'll have a read - it looks fairly straightforward !

I am making around 500 to 650 usd pr.day with 3 contracts on the Emini YM.
Happy with that return

WIth regards
Bashir Naimy

I am making around 500 to 650 usd pr.day with 3 contracts on the Emini YM.
Happy with that return

WIth regards
Bashir Naimy

Why trade 3 contracts on YM and not just 1 contract on ES which has much greater liquidity ?

Paul

I have just seen your post about how you trade on another thread so I now understand why you trade 3 contracts on YM :)

Paul

To make 1% a day would not make you the best performing trader!

there are a lot of traders who make more than that modestly prevents them from acknowledging it.

Quite simply with a 30k capital if you cannot make 1% you should reconsider if trading is for you.

hmmm :)

I consider myself a good trader, but I never even dream about making 1% a day, every day that is ;)

But, yes this is a matter of calculation and of the size of the account.

With a 30k account, you have to do the 1%, using leverage, otherwise it is not worth the time.

My approach looks like this:

1. I choose the product, which suits my trading style. Mine is the FDAX.
2. I look at the daily trading range and the size of single "straight" moves. Here I use ATR and look every day, which are typical move sizes. 28 points for example.
3. I look, what probability I have, to catch a move and which SL makes sense. At the end I came up, that ON AVERAGE, I can catch ONE 28 move NET every day.
4. To do that EVERY DAY, I shoot for DOUBLE that amount, 56 points and use 28 as a maximum stop.

That means, I want 28, risk 28 and if I have 56, I quit or risk only half of the extra 28 for a last trade, if this is successful, I risk only half of this gain. a.s.o.

Anyway, it works for me.

This is an example, at the moment, the volatility is far bigger, so the targets and stop losses are bigger as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care!
Carlos

How do you work out quickest what 1% per day is on an annual basis? My brain won't do maths like that until it's had more caffeine. Is 1.01 to the power of 220? (business days in year?)

1.01 to the power of 220 is 8.92 which would be 892% pa.

or turning 30K into 200K roughly. That's a bit optimistic, methinks. Or did I get the maths wrong? I'm off to get a coffee....

1.01 to the power of 220 is 8.92 which would be 892% pa.

or turning 30K into 200K roughly. That's a bit optimistic, methinks. Or did I get the maths wrong? I'm off to get a coffee....

I don't think the poster want to turn 30k into 200k what he wants is a daily return of 300 dollars.
A 1500 dollar return each week. I am sure he realizes there are days when he will lose, days when he will make more and days when he will probably not trade this will probably reduce the figure to something like 1000 a week and with good money management and discipline this is completely achievable .

Unfortunately bladerunner I am not in kent , actually not even in the country anymore.
One of the advantages of trading is it allowys you to travel and live in different countries and experience different cultures.
I am a great follower of Phil's (newtron bomb) breakout strategy if you read his thread you will see my template that I use, its very simple and helps me no amount. Another person who has proved himself is Danarm, he has a very simple approach and aims to make only 50 points a day, and very kindly helps everyone. If you follow these Masters and Trade Dante you will achieve the 1% as so many do on these threads.

Reactions: BSD
Unfortunately bladerunner I am not in kent , actually not even in the country anymore.
One of the advantages of trading is it allowys you to travel and live in different countries and experience different cultures.
I am a great follower of Phil's (newtron bomb) breakout strategy if you read his thread you will see my template that I use, its very simple and helps me no amount. Another person who has proved himself is Danarm, he has a very simple approach and aims to make only 50 points a day, and very kindly helps everyone. If you follow these Masters and Trade Dante you will achieve the 1% as so many do on these threads.

method / edge was or as never been my problem Gamma but thanks for the good advice...........

I am the problem and the solution :)

Appreciated, all the best :clover:

Andy

Reactions: BSD