What on GBP-USD earth was that spike about?

Adamus

Experienced member
Did anyone else see GBP / USD dive 50 ticks and bounce back up?

I'm on InteractiveBrokers.

Needless to say you can guess what happened to me.

Attachments

• $GBPUSD (5 Min)  05_10_2010.jpg
    $GBPUSD (5 Min) 05_10_2010.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 376
Hmm there were several across several markets all at diferent times.Unusual and rare.The conspiracy theorists will no doubt explain it.

got similar spike off my MT4 and GFT charts for GBPUSD.
spike (upwards 90 pips) also on EURJPY. The EJ up spike didnt return to original position though.

got similar spike off my MT4 and GFT charts for GBPUSD.
spike (upwards 90 pips) also on EURJPY. The EJ up spike didnt return to original position though.

That EURJPY jump got me into a trade - although only just so nothing to make up for the 50 pip loss on the £$.

USD-JPY jumped as well at the same time.

I don't know why £ reacted later. Just after 6:00am. Perhaps some traders at Citibank got into work and dumped a whole load of sterling.

Did anyone else see GBP / USD dive 50 ticks and bounce back up?

I'm on InteractiveBrokers.

Needless to say you can guess what happened to me.

Your spike seems to go a lot lower than the one on my feed. Mine only spiked down to 15784

While going "Mwaaahhh haha haha haha haha haha hahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

I thought they were probably reacting to the BoJ decision and the reaction of the yen - for whatever reason - don't they have a slack period between their Far Eastern desk going home and their European desk opening - although nothing registered on the yen when sterling stepped off a cliff and back up again, so where all the dollars they bought were going, who knows.