What is your biggest intraday loss ?

Bottom line is how much you have as trading capital and how much you need to make per year. Obviously variable how much you need to earn/make, but I would say 200k as capital would be a starting point. 30% of that is 60K, after tax and pension, roughly 3k per month. Unless you bought a 4 bed semi/ detach in London with a low deposit in the last 2-3 yrs, that should be livable. But it wont buy the yacht.

But spare a thought for home based traders in the US - if you have 250K here, thats half a mil there...not bad.

Combo, if using a spreadbetting account all gains are tax free. £60k per year would give you £5k per month. Easy to live off.

That is exactly the figure i'm aiming for, £250 per day, £5000 per month. Capital pot not there yet, but will be.

Based on £5 per point, that is 50 pips per day I need to eek out. Sounds achievable to me.

Combo, I'd say that 200 K is most definitely on the very very safe side. :)

There was a thread on this subject:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/t2w-polls/11195-how-much-capital-do-you-need-trade-full-time.html

I'm a bit more agressive (but don't have a baby either which definitely changes a lot), so for me, maried with a wife who has her own income, I started out with an initial € 50K which I then topped up a few more times, but my first real account, ie the one I funded after I really knew what I was doing, was 50K.

Yes 200k is playing it safe. But I do have a kid who will need school fes in a few yrs time etc. New car as well - there goes my 2 door, sniff sniff....:(

But spreadbetting for short term gains is not best IMHO. I said this before in a TD`s thread : last year I scored repeatedly on crude oil as it rose and fell in a tight range ( think 300 points) with fib levels. After a week, I noticed my chart preferneces were not there any more. It also became difficult to get good fills. The charts which went back to 2yrs now suddenly became 3months only. I sb with IG index.

Spreadbetters keep an eye on their customers who do well. They hedge your orders in the underlyingmarket. Better to pay some tax and just trade the real thing.

Couldn't you just change SB accout?

I've used IG for 5 years now and haven't had a problem, although saying that i'm not a big winner from them!!! (YET!!!)

does losing 2.8ml when your worth 10m, feel the same as losing 28k when your worth 100? hopefully, one day ill find out!

but in the mean time, does it?

losses are part of trading as much as clicking a mouse etc. if youre looking for the reasons why you lost you'll be pleased to know they are all there, in your subconscious, no-one trades to lose......or do they?

youd be amazed how youre subconscious works to rebalance your trading p&l !!! ive seen it over and over and over and over.....thankfully, i read a book by mark douglas, when i started trading as a professional. its saved me an absolute fortune. knowing the inner workings of your mind is absolutely key to long term success, avoid it and you will lose when there is absolutely no need to.

van tharp does a great, but wired, exercise on this, its called a parts party, not for everyone, but very insightful to do even once.(which is probably the amount of time it usually gets done!)

congrats on the baby, dont even consider doing this full time till shes atleast 5 months old and youve got used to being this tired, ALL THE TIME!!!!

why rush, if your going to be any good at it, youve got your whole life...

nobody goes broke by taking profits

Hi:
I don't know exactly where to start, this is a complex subject: The psychology of trading! I am a very good analyst, I do great chart analysis, yet sometimes I act against my own analysis on a whim or sometimes I just don't trust my own knowledge. Other things that influence is trading for the sake of trading because I have decided to be a full time trader. But now I realize that being a full time trade doesn't mean to be trading full time. It means to study and be on the look out for the 'it' opportunity. All it takes is just one fantastic trade, it doesn't matter if it is once a month or once a year. I seem to be impulsive at times, to jump into the market just because I feel invulnerable. The funny thing is that there are times when I am calm, I can trade with accuracy and I am sure that the trade will go my way and those times that i trade with such a serenity it always goes my way. I have tried to examine those trades, those days and they are very different than the days that I seem to be alover the place. I have a friend who always gives me great advices: like: take your profit and run not matter how small.......do not trade against the trend..........don't poke the alligator..........time is money........and always remember risk management.........this last one got me by surprise because I noticed that the higher the risk the more vulnerable I am emotionally to want to rush the trade, it causes me to be a bit restless; which is something to avoid.
I know there are books on the psychology of trading and probably have great advice but until one decides to have the utmost respect for the discipline that day trading demands, one should not trade large quantities. You can contact me at isalazar hotmail com. I think that not having someone to talk to about day trading is also causing me to not have someone to bounce my own thought of.
good luck
isabel salazar

Today I had my biggest intraday fall - 2,500 GBP. This is probably something noone wants to talk about. But having suffered it - esp on the back of a string of good trades - I want to know what others did about it.

Some background - last few weeks I have had 2 main trades running. Long oil/ short dollar or vice versa. The dollar crosses have been euro, cable and yen.
Last week my daughter was born, so I halted a profitable run for 7 days. I wanted to get back. So I started again on Tuesday with the idea of geting stuck back in.

I could not. I had the usual baby duties ( a delight, of course) and tending to new grandparents etc. I chose my usual time frame - 1 hour. I look at daily and 4hrs first, try to get the trend and then trade the retracements. I also use fibs. Very simple, and it works. Price is the best indicator I know.

Yesterday,I got the trend right in oil - going up - but despite a 100 point SL got stopped out twice. It was frustrating, ended with 500 loss.
Today, I started at 15.30. I thought crude was nearing 23.6% fib support on the 1hr and 4hr chart. I WENT LONG, DESPITE PRICE BEING 150 CENTS AWAY FROM SUPPORT.
Price duly crashed. Those who have been trading crude last few days will know what a white knuckle ride it has been- even for crude`s usual volatility. Anyway.

15mins later, price was 30cents away from support, I went long again. BUT THIS TIME I TRIPLED MY SIZE. This was unlike me. I am normally a cautious person. Price crashed again. By now, I was checking out 5min charts - this has been following the 21d ema quite well last 2 days. However, I NEVER TRADE OFF THE 5MIN CHARTS.
Next, I examined the 1 hr charts closely. This time I shorted. Immediately made a little bit but did not take profits, as I thought now the trend would carry on to my new target.

Suffice to say it did not - and this time, crude started surging back up from about 131.70. Its now around 135.00. I stopped as all my risk measures had been breachced.

I think it all happened as I was desperate to get back in to trading. I wanted to carry on with the profits I had made - but ended up just givingthem away. In fact,I should not have been trading it all. Goes against my grain, but thats what I should be doing now. I know what I am doing wrong, but still doing it - again this is unlike me.
Perhaps I should cut my risk drastically and spread bet for a while with £1/point. Recently, I have also been thinking about quitting my job and trading full time. I think this added to the pressures, and the need to take the odd positions I did today.

Apologies about the long tirade. A tirade against lack of psychological vigilance. Has this happened to others - and resulted in big losses, maybe even the biggest ever ?

interested in the book by Mark Douglas

Hi:
I am trying to develop an attitude for day trading or home trading. I feel that the most problem I have is not having a discipline. I sometimes go against my own analysis and conclusions and I just don't know why i do it. Sometimes I feel that I would do well if I traded with someelse rather than by myself at home. Please give me more info on the book and any insight that you might have.
Thanks,
Isabel

does losing 2.8ml when your worth 10m, feel the same as losing 28k when your worth 100? hopefully, one day ill find out!

but in the mean time, does it?

losses are part of trading as much as clicking a mouse etc. if youre looking for the reasons why you lost you'll be pleased to know they are all there, in your subconscious, no-one trades to lose......or do they?

youd be amazed how youre subconscious works to rebalance your trading p&l !!! ive seen it over and over and over and over.....thankfully, i read a book by mark douglas, when i started trading as a professional. its saved me an absolute fortune. knowing the inner workings of your mind is absolutely key to long term success, avoid it and you will lose when there is absolutely no need to.

van tharp does a great, but wired, exercise on this, its called a parts party, not for everyone, but very insightful to do even once.(which is probably the amount of time it usually gets done!)

congrats on the baby, dont even consider doing this full time till shes atleast 5 months old and youve got used to being this tired, ALL THE TIME!!!!

why rush, if your going to be any good at it, youve got your whole life...

hi, I think your heading the right way, go read these,

Amazon.co.uk: The Disciplined Trader: Douglas: Books

The Disciplined Trader (Hardcover)
by Douglas (Author)

53 Reviews
5 star: (37)
4 star: (4)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (10)

read twice and then read chapters 9 onwards every month.

Amazon.co.uk: fooled by randomness: Books
Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets (Paperback)
by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Author)

17 Reviews
5 star: (6)
4 star: (3)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (3)
1 star: (4)

thought provoking book, but still lighthearted.

there is a follow on book by mark douglas, which is also great.

The Education of a Speculator (Paperback)
by Victor Niederhoffer (Author) "Remarks Against Brooklyn claimed 40,000 members and counted 3,000 slanders in 1946 ..." (more)

9 Reviews
5 star: (5)
4 star: (3)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (1)

great story, sad ending.

It's Not about the Bike: My Journey Back to Life (Paperback)
by Lance Armstrong (Author), Sally Jenkins (Author)

8 Reviews
5 star: (8)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

discipline, endurance, consistency.

those 3 words...

happy reading!:eek:

System

Have total belief in your system and when it loses, it is not you, but the system. If your system lets you down, or, as you suggest, you do not follow your system, then maybe you are unsure about your system?
Knowledge is power. Be the best you can and learn the most you can - and then confidently follow your system.
There are only three keys in trading, divergence, S&R and trendlines.
The grass is always greener in the other field but on your day, no one is better than you - so learn that first.
George
'Trade what you see and not what you hear or hope.'
Hi:
I am trying to develop an attitude for day trading or home trading. I feel that the most problem I have is not having a discipline. I sometimes go against my own analysis and conclusions and I just don't know why i do it. Sometimes I feel that I would do well if I traded with someelse rather than by myself at home. Please give me more info on the book and any insight that you might have.
Thanks,
Isabel