What is the best time to trade emini dow futures?

GMH

10 0
I trade with mbtrading and am curious what time of the day is best to catch the biggest moves? Also what time frame is most used? Thanks

IanMacQuaide

15 2
I trade the YM, (Mini $5.00 Dow Index.)
US Regular Trading Hours of 9:30am to 4:15pm Eastern Time (New York time).
Time frame for charts?
I use a 2min, but most use a 5min. Not all, but quite a few Institutional Traders and Large Traders usually use a 5min chart.
I keep an eye on the 10Min chart for direction.

Pazienza

2,334 442
I use 5 and 15. I agree with the above, but I do start watching it sometime before - sometimes you get good moves ahead of RTH, for example if there are news announcements.

IanMacQuaide

15 2
I use 5 and 15. I agree with the above, but I do start watching it sometime before - sometimes you get good moves ahead of RTH, for example if there are news announcements.
Oh indeed! But the OP sounded rather "NEW", and I thought it best to stick to the basics.
I know what usually happens when one "assumes", and I apologize.

Pazienza

2,334 442
Not all, but quite a few Institutional Traders and Large Traders usually use a 5min chart.

Hi Ian,

I found this interesting - is it something you know, or is it speculation?

I like both M5 and M15, although I think one has to be more careful (especially at the open) with M5. I often see what would ostensibly be a good signal on M5 at 9.30 (2.30 here in the UK), but I usually stand aside as often it's a false one and the real direction is given by the 15 minute bar.

Of course, the flipside is that when the move is good, if you wait for the M15 a big part of the opening move has gone.

I don't know if that's something you've found as well?

IanMacQuaide

15 2
Paz, lol, here I go assuming again. When you say 9:30 NY time, you mean the opening bell?
I don't trade the opening bell, ever. There's certainly a LOT of traders that have a good method for trading the bell, but I'm not one of them.
I trade a 2 minute chart, with a 10 minute chart for general direction. (I assume by M5 and M15 you mean a 5 minute and a 15 minute chart.) On my 2 minute chart, I have a 12-26-9 MACD, and a 9 EMA. When the MACD crosses it's MA, and or crosses it's Zero Line AND it's own MA, and price crosses or has only crossed the 9EMA by a little, I'll enter in whatever direction it's going and scalp a few points. I'm getting a little better at hanging on for 10pts, but gotta work on hanging onto a winning trade.
As for something I know as opposed to speculating, in my very humble opinion, very little in life is a concrete fact. I speculate, or as my old Chief used to say, I'll take a SWAG at it.
Scientific Wild-Assed Guess. ;-)
The opening bell can be very profitable, and if you're seeing something that appeals to your trading instincts, go for it. SIM is a great learning tool for me. I have 2 computers running every day. One's real money, and the other is on SIM.
Ian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock