What is price action (to you?)

Fx and rols,

how many hours of screen watching before you started to get a feel and could see the difference between 'a pirce that'll plummet or one that will sustain its momentum'?

"The world is your oyster"?

Last edited:
the trick is not to get drowned by the 'tide in the affairs of men' if you want to get literate

jimbo57 said:
the trick is not to get drowned by the 'tide in the affairs of men' if you want to get literate

Touché..... :LOL:

Wasp, you can also look at Douglas's books. Far more, shall we say, accessible. Yoder, Graifer, and Steenbarger are also good.

Few beginners understand that they are in complete control of their trading environment. The secret is "out there". The key is "out there". The solution is "out there". But none of it is "out there". It's all in the trader. And the sooner he stops thinking of himself as a cork being bounced around by forces outside his control, the sooner he will grab the reins -- to mix a metaphor -- and make progress toward his goal.

All of which may be off topic, but there it is.

Db

Hi Wasp
thread seems to be getting out of control but I would definitely take note of Charlton and Dbs posts

I realise it was unhelpful and rather callous of me to delete posts without providing an explantion until now and I apologise for that. The reasons for the deletions are contained in the guidelines quoted below. Banter is fine - we're not agin humour or good natured point-scoring by any means - but if it is completely off-topic we'd prefer it was kept in the Lounge to allow the serious threads to concentrate on the subject in hand. Given the flurry of reported posts several members concur with this sentiment.

If you like I'll move some of the deleted posts there as I realise that several are undeserving of permanent deletion.

7.7 Posts or threads which knowingly lead to overly strong negative and emotional responses (‘trolling’) are not allowed.
7.9 Keep your posts related to the topic of the thread. Irrelevant posts, particularly those which are intended to take the thread completely off topic will be moved to a new thread, or may be removed altogether.
7.10 Please keep your posts as constructive as possible and avoid making a post that adds little or no value to the discussion, for example "That's so cool." Poor grammar, spelling and misleading titles, make it harder to read the forums.
7.12 Do not post the same message more than once, in different forums.

Last edited:
wasp said:
Many on these boards and plenty of others profess trading is all in 'price action'.

What is price action?

Is it price and its relation to support and resistance levels?
Is it price reacting to patterns (triangles/head and shoulders)?
Is it just watching the way a candle/bar forms?

Does it have anything to do with...

Candlestick patterns (doji/flying dragonfly...)?
Fibs and its relation to these levels?
Pivots and its relation to these levels?
Ross hooks?
1-2-3 formations?

Or is it all athe above?

When I conjur up images of the wonderous ideas of price action I see blank charts with OHLC bars only and PA traders trying to gauge the future movement purely by how price is acting right now, this bar alone and how its moving... Is it that stripped down or do more of the above come into it?

Also, can you then really see further ahead than the end of the bar forming now, if going via price action alone?

I'll leave this open now and go back to my MA's crossing wildly!

:cheesy:
Answer:~ All of the above all intertwined all at the same time.:cheesy:

Many on these boards and plenty of others profess trading is all in 'price action'.

Of course it is. Everything else is just a derivative that attempts to clarify the same.

frugi said:
I realise it was unhelpful and rather callous of me to delete posts without providing an explantion until now and I apologise for that. The reasons for the deletions are contained in the guidelines quoted below. Banter is fine - we're not agin humour or good natured point-scoring by any means - but if it is completely off-topic we'd prefer it was kept in the Lounge to allow the serious threads to concentrate on the subject in hand. Given the flurry of reported posts several members concur with this sentiment.

If you like I'll move some of the deleted posts there as I realise that several are undeserving of permanent deletion.

7.7 Posts or threads which knowingly lead to overly strong negative and emotional responses (‘trolling’) are not allowed.
7.9 Keep your posts related to the topic of the thread. Irrelevant posts, particularly those which are intended to take the thread completely off topic will be moved to a new thread, or may be removed altogether.
7.10 Please keep your posts as constructive as possible and avoid making a post that adds little or no value to the discussion, for example "That's so cool." Poor grammar, spelling and misleading titles, make it harder to read the forums.
7.12 Do not post the same message more than once, in different forums.

fair comment - personally I don't mind whether they are moved to the Lounge or not, although a little Latin never did anyone any harm.

Price Action is the thing that causes the indicators to trigger trading signals.

(sorry for being blasphemous, but for most of us mortals, the above is true)

trendie said:
Price Action is the thing that causes the indicators to trigger trading signals.

(sorry for being blasphemous, but for most of us mortals, the above is true)

If its making a profit then why worry! :)

twalker said:
Of course it is. Everything else is just a derivative that attempts to clarify the same.

I appreciate that twalker, just curious to what people look for when trading via 'price action'. Whats relevant to you?

price action

supply and demand and/or
support and resistance

Look at the chart and see how S/R and S/D caused prices to turn, stop and how where it continued.

Attachments

• s and r.gif
    s and r.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 334
wasp said:
I appreciate that twalker, just curious to what people look for when trading via 'price action'. Whats relevant to you?

Any pattern that frequently repeats itself and with a high probability of success.

Split

Price + momentum break = signal

Getting in is, of course, the easy bit. It is all about sizing and exits IMO