What is money? Where does our money come from?

know that. what i said, only difference money currency - store of value. currency not money yes.

Yes of course....your play on feigned linguistic barriers was, at first, lost on me...my deepest apologies. But perhaps some clarity has been brought to the subject.

Debt free money is nothing new. Apparently, Canada Issued Debt-Free Money From 1935-1974! Something I didnt know!
Fascinating video featuring someone whos lived through those times!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxD2-lQwYa8

Yes, you should check out a lady called Ellen Brown on this kind of thing:

http://ellenbrown.com

Actually there are a lot of good people talking about monetary reform. More than one way to skin a cat, but this is a leading UK organisation trying to change things:

http://www.positivemoney.org

But as well as Canada, JFK ordered the printing of Treasury dollar notes (as opposed to Federal Reserve notes), i.e. the government directly creating - not borrowing money into existence, in the 60s. I don't know the full story, but if one had a suspicious mind (who me?), well that was a another reason for certain interest groups to get rid of him.

Closer to home (for us Brits), the UK created debt free money in WW1 to help finance the war.

And in the 1930s, Hjalmar Schacht (of the Reichsbank) effectively did the same thing, which is partly how Germany went from depression to full employment virtually overnight. Hjalmar Schact was constructively dismissed by AH shortly before the war, because (according to his account), he refused to use his financial acumen for the purposes of war. He had a hard time after the war, but was eventually cleared of all charges and settled in America.

Also well worth reading is Professor Richard Werner, of Southampton University, and (if you understand German) Bernd Senf.

And quite a few others.

Of mainstream politicians, the only one I know of who "gets it" is Michael Meacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPnuXWQnXk

Oh, and Austin Mitchell.

I'm not prepared to go over 60 pages of this so forgive me if this has already been pointed out:
There is a distinct difference between "money" and "currency".
Gold and silver are/can be money.
Printed paper backed by debt is currency.
The terms are not interchangeable for this type of discussion.

I used to think like that. I now see 'money' as trust. I trust that the money I have (be it gold / silver / piece of paper / sea shell / large stone with hole in the middle / small stone with hole in the middle / tally stick / feather / salt / beads /// even a number in a computer) can be exchanged at some point in the future for goods and services.

Fiat currency doesnt have to backed by debt btw.

Cheers
d (ex gold bug)

Cor i havent been here in a good while, hope your all well :). Would be interested in hearing your opinions / views / facts on:-

1) What is money?
2) Where does our money come from?

(Am talking about the UK)

Money at it's basest form is just a symbolic representation of an amount of items for barter than you cannot transport to the location you are at at the time, therefore you put your scipt for later pickup (i.e. money) against what you are going to pickup.
A very complicated extension to the barter system.

Money at it's basest form is just a symbolic representation of an amount of items for barter than you cannot transport to the location you are at at the time, therefore you put your scipt for later pickup (i.e. money) against what you are going to pickup.
A very complicated extension to the barter system.

Exactly.

Money is our ancient ancestors were not like the money to which we are accustomed to one form of payment steel cowry - shells. At first they were used with the natives of the Maldives in the Indian Ocean. Small, strong and shiny, they soon won Asia, Africa, Europe. In some regions of ancient Asia were cowrie money to the middle of the twentieth century.

Money is happiness.

-Sam

OK_USA_2.jpg

Cor i havent been here in a good while, hope your all well :). Would be interested in hearing your opinions / views / facts on:-

1) What is money?
2) Where does our money come from?

(Am talking about the UK)

These should be two of the easiest questions to answer in economics; after all, money is the one thing that we all use in an economy—surely we know what it is, and where it comes from?

Unfortunately, we know what money is the same way the fabled Blind Men of Hindustan know what an elephant is: the one who grabbed the trunk knows it is “like a tree”, while the one who grabbed the tusk knows that it is “like a spear”, and so on. Money is such a multi-faceted and all-pervasive element of our system—the figurative “elephant in the living room”—that our capability to obsess about one aspect of it prevents us developing a proper appreciation of what it actually is.

Well, it seems that it might be an argument with those topics.Money is most important to run the economy and this time I am waiting for the result of Brexit in long term. :)