What is Gap and how it happen?

Patricia12

I came through this statement "Gaps happen when the forex market closes and the forex market have some movements before the market opens."

How does market movement measure before market open or after market close?

Please also share details about "Gap and how it happens".

I came through this statement "Gaps happen when the forex market closes and the forex market have some movements before the market opens."

Gaps on forex can only really occur between Friday and Sunday. Having said that I believe it is always possible to get a currency price with a wide spread on saturday and sunday. Perhaps someone can confirm this for me.If that is the case,then there are no true real gaps. with the markets being 24 hrs even futures gaps dont have as much relevance as they used to. Most gap fans will tell you that gaps are always filled at some point soon,that may be true,bit if you pick any value within 100 or so pips on a forex chart,there is always a good chance it will be hit soon.

It's a change in the highest bid/lowest offer combination over the weekend.

Do not take these preceeding answers to heart; this would prove futile.

Sorry "scose-no-doubt" but I was not expecting such reply especially from you, because you are a "Legendary Member".

Yes you're right I have a legendary member but it means absolutely nothing in this place. You should really stop asking questions like this here. Go and buy a book. You'll learn more from reading a book for a day than you will posting here for a month.

Gaps on forex can only really occur between Friday and Sunday. Having said that I believe it is always possible to get a currency price with a wide spread on saturday and sunday. Perhaps someone can confirm this for me.If that is the case,then there are no true real gaps. with the markets being 24 hrs even futures gaps dont have as much relevance as they used to. Most gap fans will tell you that gaps are always filled at some point soon,that may be true,bit if you pick any value within 100 or so pips on a forex chart,there is always a good chance it will be hit soon.

News gaps?

Yes you're right I have a legendary member but it means absolutely nothing in this place. You should really stop asking questions like this here. Go and buy a book. You'll learn more from reading a book for a day than you will posting here for a month.

It is my first thread but I will remember your suggestion before asking anything in this forum. Thanks for your suggestion.

Patricia please report your objections to the admin......

Some posters cannot help themselves with the sarcasm and abuse and put downs that put off so many making posts.....

Report it and use my name as a reference likewise.

I refute any claim that I dished out abuse or put downs. Sometimes Teh Scose is sarcastic be he ain't no 'orrible cant.

Anyway you're an idiot if you think people not posting here is a bad thing. Maybe they'll go away and do some proper learning instead of being subjected to the vast streams of nonsense that have been gratuitously spread over a multitude of threads - many of them the more popular ones. Picking up a even a single book that will address the issue raised in this thread will expose the OP to a number of different concepts such as auction processes, participants, exchanges, basics of the instruments and much more. It's far better than getting half an answer over the i-net from someone who is unable to describe things accurately and succinctly.
They also have less chance of losing money in ponzi schemes.

That being said, I've come across a number of people over the years who want nothing more than a line/squiggles and a chart. More power to them but that's not me so...
:clover:

I refute any claim that I dished out abuse or put downs. Sometimes Teh Scose is sarcastic be he ain't no 'orrible cant.

Anyway you're an idiot if you think people not posting here is a bad thing. Maybe they'll go away and do some proper learning instead of being subjected to the vast streams of nonsense that have been gratuitously spread over a multitude of threads - many of them the more popular ones. Picking up a even a single book that will address the issue raised in this thread will expose the OP to a number of different concepts such as auction processes, participants, exchanges, basics of the instruments and much more. It's far better than getting half an answer over the i-net from someone who is unable to describe things accurately and succinctly.
They also have less chance of losing money in ponzi schemes.

That being said, I've come across a number of people over the years who want nothing more than a line/squiggles and a chart. More power to them but that's not me so...
:clover:

Stop squirming Pal its embarrassing.....

Hopefully the individual concerned has made her feelings clear to admin and the 10 or so smart arses on this forum are removed........

As before how many members are lost to the forum due to certain clowns God only knows......

Agree completely with scose, the majority of newbie questions on here are pretty poor quality. If any of these newbies had any interest in actually learning to trade (as opposed to taking shortcuts by falling for scams, signal providers - jungerns et al) then they would have covered most of their own questions seen on here in the most basic of textbooks, if they were not answered by a quick google search in the first instance.

The big danger is when people like jungerns try to answer such questions when they clearly know sweet FA on the subject, and a quick glance through his previous posts confirms this, its considerably more counterproductive to a newbies learning curve than any sarcastic comment (which shld actually raise awareness that the question prob is crap).

though i do agree with jungerns on one thing, posters should report counterproductive posts, for example this one:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-discussion/151460-when-exit-trade-3.html#post1889666

....some tool is trying to fit made-up adages into his own strategy which actually consists of buying signals, in other words he cannot be arsed to learn to trade. what a muppet. i googled his 'adage' but nope couldn't find any reference to it. and this was in response to a newbie asking a valid question of when to exit a trade - great advice then, not - it has no concise meaning & is therefore more useful than a choccy teapot. the less vague, BS responses the faster the newbies learning curve, its a shame ppl like this aren't banned cos they will slow a newbies learning curve down at best, and at worst get newbies to follow what they do. (pls read further for first his attacks on a grammatical error then a final post asking if i am a retard with no evidence, whereas all my accusations are inferred from the content of his posts, see the 12.5% drawdown thread ha and bob lulz comment within that thread ha).

the funny things is his attention span is so small as noted by his admittance in so many posts that he is 'bored' and (therefore doesn't read what you have to say) that he wouldn't have got this far down in this post, which isn't directed towards him anyway.

truly scandalous, don't you agree jungerns?

happy tarding.

Agree completely with scose, the majority of newbie questions on here are pretty poor quality. If any of these newbies had any interest in actually learning to trade (as opposed to taking shortcuts by falling for scams, signal providers - jungerns et al) then they would have covered most of their own questions seen on here in the most basic of textbooks, if they were not answered by a quick google search in the first instance.

The big danger is when people like jungerns try to answer such questions when they clearly know sweet FA on the subject, and a quick glance through his previous posts confirms this, its considerably more counterproductive to a newbies learning curve than any sarcastic comment (which shld actually raise awareness that the question prob is crap).

though i do agree with jungerns on one thing, posters should report counterproductive posts, for example this one:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-discussion/151460-when-exit-trade-3.html#post1889666

....some tool is trying to fit made-up adages into his own strategy which actually consists of buying signals, in other words he cannot be arsed to learn to trade. what a muppet. i googled his 'adage' but nope couldn't find any reference to it. and this was in response to a newbie asking a valid question of when to exit a trade - great advice then, not - it has no concise meaning & is therefore more useful than a choccy teapot. the less vague, BS responses the faster the newbies learning curve, its a shame ppl like this aren't banned cos they will slow a newbies learning curve down at best, and at worst get newbies to follow what they do. (pls read further for first his attacks on a grammatical error then a final post asking if i am a retard with no evidence, whereas all my accusations are inferred from the content of his posts, see the 12.5% drawdown thread ha and bob lulz comment within that thread ha).

the funny things is his attention span is so small as noted by his admittance in so many posts that he is 'bored' and (therefore doesn't read what you have to say) that he wouldn't have got this far down in this post, which isn't directed towards him anyway.

truly scandalous, don't you agree jungerns?

happy tarding.

Why don't you ask the OP to change the name of the thread to Rant against Jungerns..........

Again the offers there Big Boy......??

You're free to copy my trades and profits anytime you wish.....:cheesy:

While you remain free to belittle others I'll just keep pulling in the profits just as I have for over 5 years.......

St Lucia looks good for a month of two.......

Stop squirming Pal its embarrassing.....

Hopefully the individual concerned has made her feelings clear to admin and the 10 or so smart arses on this forum are removed........

As before how many members are lost to the forum due to certain clowns God only knows......

and vice versa....;)

and vice versa....;)

Whatever Pal.......

The point in question is that ask one and theres a bloody good chance you're going to be ridiculed by invariably the same ass clowns every single time......

Now I have received FOUR pm's agreeing entirely with what I said yesterday about this exact same subject.

Strangely and rather alarmingly Admin saw fit to remove my post. If you go back through my short posting history you'll see its a stance I've taken many times previously.

People are AFRAID to ask questions here-that's a clear FACT

Last edited:
People are AFRAID to ask questions here-that's a clear FACT

I know t2w are quite successful in obtaining their fair share of spam that they try so hard to attract, but there's also quite a lot of other stuff gets posted too.

Clearly people are asking questions, and by and large they get reasonable answers, at least up until the point where they've proven to those that can help them that they are not worth taking the trouble to answer.

Assuming something is a fact without hard data to back it up isn't something I can recommend.

I know t2w are quite successful in obtaining their fair share of spam that they try so hard to attract, but there's also quite a lot of other stuff gets posted too.

Clearly people are asking questions, and by and large they get reasonable answers, at least up until the point where they've proven to those that can help them that they are not worth taking the trouble to answer.

Assuming something is a fact without hard data to back it up isn't something I can recommend.

Am sorry but I totally disagree......

Time after time people with posts counts of 5 10 or 20 etc ask questions that are consistently ridiculed by invariably the same posters....

Clearly by me receiving 4 PM's telling me exactly the same by members who are established than its not just me who's noticed it......

I hope the owners of the site have as well.......

Jungerns

1.please provide examples of such incidents. You keep stating its fact, without providing any evidence of such, and you have now been asked twice.

2. If you are so concerned about protecting newbies why are you so keen to misinform them? I will give the same example: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-discussion/151460-when-exit-trade-3.html#post1889666

3. By calling your BS out I am doing the OP, newbies et al a favour, that is a fact. So who's in the wrong, me or you?

4. Is it possible those newbies who pm'd you are just like you, lazy and looking for a shortcut to making money, and in turn fear that any question may get shot down with the common response: "perhaps google it?". In other words make some effort!

Sadly the majority of new traffic here are just like you, looking for a quick buck, see for example the energy q asked today re WTI long trade, a prodige of your good self no doubt. Even moderators are rolling their eyes.

So it doesn't surprise me that you are receiving pm's, and I guess trading is not for them either, so everyone wins if they leave the forum = less BS q's, less BS answers (by ppl like you), and maybe just maybe they move on before handing money over to SPs and scammers.

beside the gap on Friday/Sunday; you need to ignore price movements in the quite night session. i.e. EUR/USD is mostly active during London and half of NY sessions.

If you draw a chart after taking out the quite night session; gaps will be there.

Another way to look at it maybe to ask:

What is the purpose of this gap?

This may imply that there is a reason for it and hence it is not random.

If you are from the "markets are random" camp then this question will be of no use to you. However, if you belive there is a possibility that it is not random, then there will be benefit and merit in the question!

Asking questions is good, but it is more important to come up with your own conclusions first, and also importantly, you have a reason why you have the answer you do. Then you can be in a position to bounce your ideas with others.

Of course, you can just accept a text book answer of a gap and get on with things(n)

Happy hunting!

From where I'm standing, you've misunderstood each and every concept you've touched on in that post.