What happens to stop when market gaps

SanMiguel

Experienced member
What happens to your stop when the market gaps, ie,
if you sell at 1250 with a stop at 1230 but the market opens tomorrow gapped down at 1200?

och !

you get filled at best level at a buzzzzz y open

if your trading size a stop is lazy and only part time protection !

who buys from you when you get out ?

some SB do guarenteed ones if you pay extra spread

Last edited:
och !

you get filled at best level at a buzzzzz y open

if your trading size a stop is lazy and only part time protection !

who buys from you when you get out ?

some SB do guarenteed ones if you pay extra spread

So if it gaps down 50 points, you lose 50 rather than the 20 your stop protected?
How do they guarantee a stop, don't they lose out then?

So if it gaps down 50 points, you lose 50 rather than the 20 your stop protected?

With a guaranteed stop you pay an extra spread (or com). 9 times out of 10, the gap between the stop and the fill will be less than the extra spread paid (e.g if you close it yourself, if the trade is closed by a limit order). In theory, the 9 times the company guaranteeing the stop makes money pay for the 1 time they have to wear the slippage. In my experience, the extra charge isn't treated as a revenue stream by the cos.

With a guaranteed stop you pay an extra spread (or com). 9 times out of 10, the gap between the stop and the fill will be less than the extra spread paid (e.g if you close it yourself, if the trade is closed by a limit order). In theory, the 9 times the company guaranteeing the stop makes money pay for the 1 time they have to wear the slippage. In my experience, the extra charge isn't treated as a revenue stream by the cos.

I don't think they offer guaranteed stops on stocks, not my broker anyway, only guaranteed stops on forex and the spread there is an extra 5 pips.

Some will offer them on stocks - generally .3% extra on blue chips.

If you're trading majors, I'm not sure they're worth the extra spread unless you're holding over figures.

Well they aren't a charity. The punters pay for it eventually.

...and what happens if you put a short order in on a stock at say 100 but it opens at 90 the next trading day. Does your order become active from 100 so you have immediately made 10 points or does it only get filled from 90 and you are at zero unless it moves again?

...and what happens if you put a short order in on a stock at say 100 but it opens at 90 the next trading day. Does your order become active from 100 so you have immediately made 10 points or does it only get filled from 90 and you are at zero unless it moves again?
What??
If you've got a short sale at 100 and you can buy back at 90 the next day then uou make 10 points.
Are you sure you are explaining this right?

What??
If you've got a short sale at 100 and you can buy back at 90 the next day then uou make 10 points.
Are you sure you are explaining this right?

Yeah, you put a stop order in at 100. In forex, price moves past 100 and triggers it.
In stocks it could gap down, does that fill your order? If so, does it fill it at 100? SO if the market gaps down, you immediately make a profit of 10points?

Yeah, you put a stop order in at 100. In forex, price moves past 100 and triggers it.
In stocks it could gap down, does that fill your order? If so, does it fill it at 100? SO if the market gaps down, you immediately make a profit of 10points?
I suspect the answer is no, but I'm blowed if I understand the question. Is it a short sale or a stop order?

I suspect the answer is no, but I'm blowed if I understand the question. Is it a short sale or a stop order?

A stop order to go short at 100. You place it the night before.
The next morning the stock gaps down and opens at 90. Is your stop triggered and at what price? :)

A stop order to go short at 100. You place it the night before.
The next morning the stock gaps down and opens at 90. Is your stop triggered and at what price? :)
OK, I assume we are talking Spread Betting?
You can't put a stop (loss) on an opening trade. You put a limit order. So you got a limit order to sell short at 100. It opens at 90, you don't get filled.
Not that I am an expert on SB.
What you are hoping you could do is known as wanting the PUT and the CALL!

OK, I assume we are talking Spread Betting?
You can't put a stop (loss) on an opening trade. You put a limit order. So you got a limit order to sell short at 100. It opens at 90, you don't get filled.
Not that I am an expert on SB.
What you are hoping you could do is known as wanting the PUT and the CALL!

Um...you can with spreadbetting, you make a P&C order, which fires off an OCO order as soon as the trade is placed. I'm just not sure if it gaps whether it hits the order or not. :confused:

Um...you can with spreadbetting, you make a P&C order, which fires off an OCO order as soon as the trade is placed. I'm just not sure if it gaps whether it hits the order or not. :confused:
You will have to tell me what a P&C and an OCO is first and I will try and answer.

I don't have many problems with spreadbetting companies, but opening gaps is one of them.

I suspect that you will lose out on that trade. I think that they will not fill your order until the gap starts to close, which may take a while, and probably there will be a bigger reversal going all the way up to your stop. A nice, quick, profit for them.

Get the idea? You won't have much of an argument to give them. I do not trade overnight because I have been around that block, myself.

Trading overnight is fine if you already have a good profit buffer from the day before. Putting an order on,
or near,the open is not a good idea. IMO-

Last edited:
I don't have many problems with spreadbetting companies, but opening gaps is one of them.

I suspect that you will lose out on that trade. I think that they will not fill your order until the gap starts to close, which may take a while, and probably there will be a bigger reversal going all the way up to your stop. A nice, quick, profit for them.

Get the idea? You won't have much of an argument to give them. I do not trade overnight because I have been around that block, myself.

Trading overnight is fine if you already have a good profit buffer from the day before. Putting an order on,
Please explain it to me. You put a stop loss on a short sale, hoping that it gaps down to your stop and you get stopped out? Then what?

Gapping is not just for spread bet companies, the market gaps in any stock sometimes.
eg Friday closed at 110, Monday opens at 120 instead of at 110.

Please explain it to me. You put a stop loss on a short sale, hoping that it gaps down to your stop and you get stopped out? Then what?

No! LOL :)
You put in an order to go short at 100. The market is currently at 110 and closed at 110. The next day it gaps down and opens at 90 having completely missed your entry point of 100. Does the order get filled?