Weird Internet problem

bluetipex

Hi there

I have a very strange problem which no-one else has ever come across.

I'm on XP Service Pack 3, IE7.

All of a sudden on Thursday evening I couldn't access Welcome to ETX Capital, I get the error message "Internet Explorer Cannot display the web page", so I couldn't trade at all all day Friday.

After many calls to Virgin Media technical team it's now gone to their 2nd Line Support and I'm waiting for a call back......

It's not my laptop, as a second laptop also has the same problem. No-one else has this problem either.

I've emailed them the results of a "tracert" showing where it fails.

(Incidentally, I can't access www.dixonsmobileaccessories.co.uk either, but I think it might be down...)

Here are my options as I see it:

1. Wait for Virgin to fix the problem.
2. Close my Etxcapital account and open a new one with someone else.
3. Find a mate nearby that will allow me to sit in his house all day trading.
4. Subscribe to Vodafone's 3G mobile access at £7.50 a month, 18 month contract, 3GB download limit. Max speed 7.2MBps depending on signal strength. It's only a Virgin problem, no other ISP has this issue as far as I know, because no-one else has made a complaint!

Long term obviously option 4 is the way forward, especially if I can get Virgin to credit me the cost because it's their fault. Vodafone won't post out the dongle until Tuesday so I'll need to find a mate's house to trade for 2 or 3 days max.

Now I have absolutely no idea whether my live price feed, etxcapital and cmc data coming into my laptop from 8am to 9pm 5 days a week will exceed 3GB per month?? If it does then they offer 5GB limit for £12.50 per month. How can I find out how much data I'm downloading each day?

Anyone got any other solutions to this strange problem I have?

Have you tried clearing the cache, deleting the link from your bookmarks and anywhere else you have it, and typing it into the www. bit?

For some reason bookmarks throw a wobbly now and again, and you just cannot get onto a site.

It might be that simple.

You name it, I've done it. Been on the phone at length yesterday to etxcapital technical team (they were excellent by the way). Been on the phone to Virgin technical too. It's definately a Virgin problem.

Just called my ex-girlfriend in Brighton, she's with Talk Talk. She can access the site fine. She said I can stay with her for a few days. I'm gonna order the dongle from Vodafone right now. Should be back up and running as normal from Wednesday.

Anyway, I can take a break occassionally and go for a walk on Brighton beach, get some fresh sea air in my lungs. Make a change from London car exhaust fumes....

Have you tried clearing the cache, deleting the link from your bookmarks and anywhere else you have it, and typing it into the www. bit?

For some reason bookmarks throw a wobbly now and again, and you just cannot get onto a site.

It might be that simple.

You name it, I've done it. Been on the phone at length yesterday to etxcapital technical team (they were excellent by the way). Been on the phone to Virgin technical too. It's definately a Virgin problem.

Just called my ex-girlfriend in Brighton, she's with Talk Talk. She can access the site fine. She said I can stay with her for a few days. I'm gonna order the dongle from Vodafone right now. Should be back up and running as normal from Wednesday.

Anyway, I can take a break occassionally and go for a walk on Brighton beach, get some fresh sea air in my lungs. Make a change from London car exhaust fumes....

Good solution: I am saying nothing about ex girlfriends and dongle in the same sentence.

I had a weird problem with my trading application once, a problem I could swear was with my brokers server. DOM wouldn't work properly, Quotes wouldn't work, but the Charts would. Strangely, DOM would only work IF I had the chart running at the same time! Tried another computer and the same thing! So I ruled out computers, I ruled out the internet as I could browse other sites without any problems. It wasn't until I connected using the G3 mobile connect on a 3rd computer that I was convinced the problem was with my system somewhere. Turns out it was my broadband router causing the problem...believe it or not...Removed router from the path and problem was gone! Power cycled router, put back in path, problem gone.

Sounds very similar to my problem....

It's horrible because NO-ONE else in the world has the same problem.

I ordered my 3G Broadband thingy from Vodafone, it arrives on Tuesday actually, so I've decided NOT to go to Brighton, I'll just take Monday off instead and watch the charts. I have 14 days to send it back too, so if Virgin fix the problem in that time I may cancel it.....

I had a weird problem with my trading application once, a problem I could swear was with my brokers server. DOM wouldn't work properly, Quotes wouldn't work, but the Charts would. Strangely, DOM would only work IF I had the chart running at the same time! Tried another computer and the same thing! So I ruled out computers, I ruled out the internet as I could browse other sites without any problems. It wasn't until I connected using the G3 mobile connect on a 3rd computer that I was convinced the problem was with my system somewhere. Turns out it was my broadband router causing the problem...believe it or not...Removed router from the path and problem was gone! Power cycled router, put back in path, problem gone.

Sounds very similar to my problem....

It's horrible because NO-ONE else in the world has the same problem.

I ordered my 3G Broadband thingy from Vodafone, it arrives on Tuesday actually, so I've decided NOT to go to Brighton, I'll just take Monday off instead and watch the charts. I have 14 days to send it back too, so if Virgin fix the problem in that time I may cancel it.....

Vodafone brought out a new one a earlier this year about the size of a USB memory stick, far better than the older one plus it's runs at the higher speed -7.2Mbps . It was going to cost around £170 to buy it outright and go on a pay as you use sim. Instead I got it free by signing up for a year on a contract which after 12 months would end up costing about the same. So that is what I did. I keep it as an emergency Internet connection.

OK. Just called up Virgin again in desperation and a pretty clued-up 1st Line support guy gave me a temporary fix: he told me to go into LAN settings in Internet Options and put in a proxy address, port 8080. It now works fine. Apparently other Virgin users have had similar complaints and they're aware of certain networking issues.

The Vodafone Broadband thing arrives tomorrow, so I'll probably just send it back.