WAKING Thoughts?

AD1

WAKEING Thoughts?

Evening All

Just wanted to know what you all do with your waking thoughts regarding trading.

I have found, having developed a great interest in the markets that it can quite often engulf your mind with trading thoughts.

I certainly takes over a huge amount of my waking thoughts.

its come to my attention that the vast majority of these thoughts are about the positive aspects of trading.

e.g. huge winning streaks / home runs / load$ of money..............

I very aware of the fact that trading is a game that the best loser generally comes off winner.

now what i want to know is what do others spend their time thinking about?

do you spend more time mentally preparing yourself for that losing streak?
do you spend more time thinking about the constant checking and testing, that you have to do?

or do you generally do a bit of both.

Last edited:
Re: WAKEING Thoughts?

AD1

FWIW, here are my own experiences. I certainly had this problem of obsession at the time when I was day trading the Nasdaq, and other areas of my life seemed to suffer. I also became less sociable around people in general. Yes, most of it revolved around the idea of creating huge wealth for the future & I had visions of myself becoming some sort of Gordon Gekko character (although he got caught didnt he ?!). I even bought the braces !

Now that I am back to a 'normal' day job (yacht broker, not that there's anything normal about it), obsessive trading thoughts don't seem to trouble me so much, although I still spend an awful lot of time online, but with less trading time. However I do still have a bit of a problem with my thoughts and dreams after going to bed or sleeping. Especially when doing heavy analytical thinking or programming shortly before bedtime. After lights out I see wild flashing coloured charts and imagine fantastic new ways of doing things - it tends to keep me awake as my brain is still in full analytical mode, and it can all be a little exhausting sometimes.

I guess that most of my time spent thinking about trading is about backtesting methods, better exits, better money management, creating new indicators and ideas, and going over old trade results. To be truthful I don't spend much time preparing for the long losing streak, although backtesting tells me what to expect & this is rarely exceeded.

Generally though, FWIW, my conclusion is that my life was once WAY out of balance with this trading thing, and currently I am enjoying a period of not being quite so obsessive about it.

Happy thoughts !

rog1111

AD1 said:
Evening All

Just wanted to know what you all do with your waking thoughts regarding trading.

I have found, having developed a great interest in the markets that it can quite often engulf your mind with trading thoughts.

I certainly takes over a huge amount of my waking thoughts.

its come to my attention that the vast majority of these thoughts are about the positive aspects of trading.

e.g. huge winning streaks / home runs / load$ of money..............

I very aware of the fact that trading is a game that the best loser generally comes off winner.

now what i want to know is what do others spend their time thinking about?

do you spend more time mentally preparing yourself for that losing streak?
do you spend more time thinking about the constant checking and testing, that you have to do?

or do you generally do a bit of both.