Volume analysis

volfixtrader

Hi folks!

I usually use analysis of volume when decide when open position. I don't beleive in any indicators, only MA on long periods could give some information.
Somebody analyses the volume?

There are a lot of indicators based on volume that may help you. When you say volume are you strictly looking at volume executed since the beginning of that session? Volume execute on bid side only vs. volume executed at the ask only? Moving average of volume? Only order executed for volume, quantity, of "x" or greater? Volume n the current time period versus volume in other periods in this session or previous sessions?

There are many, many ways to analyze even the the most basic of inputs like volume.

If the OP doesn't "believe" in indicators, then indicators will not likely be of any value to him (though the MA is an indicator).

What matters with regard to volume (shares, etc, traded) is its effect on price given that one profits on price movement, not volume.

Db

There are a lot of indicators based on volume that may help you. When you say volume are you strictly looking at volume executed since the beginning of that session? Volume execute on bid side only vs. volume executed at the ask only? Moving average of volume? Only order executed for volume, quantity, of "x" or greater? Volume n the current time period versus volume in other periods in this session or previous sessions?

There are many, many ways to analyze even the the most basic of inputs like volume.

I look at 3 kind of volume. Firstly I looked for profile of previous day and mark big accumulation on price level. Second I found average volume and pay attention on extra volume, third I look at delta of purchasing and selling.
Moving average - is standard based on price. I used it because often big accumulation situated on them.

An example. Lines marked - is accumulation of volumes in the past period. In a circle - extra volume in moment.

ES 60 min.jpg

Second example. The power of seller decreased and bulls won. Bottom red histograms are aggressive selling, green - aggressive purchasing.

Cluster chart.jpg

If the OP doesn't "believe" in indicators, then indicators will not likely be of any value to him (though the MA is an indicator).

What matters with regard to volume (shares, etc, traded) is its effect on price given that one profits on price movement, not volume.

Db

I think price changing because somebody huge and strong has influence on price. And his influence expressed in big purchasing or selling. Big player look for big size and he need in opposite part to open big size on the best price. As a result we could see local accumulation of volume which were place for price movement.

Small player couldn't move price, a lot of small players often also couldn't move price in general because all of them have different goals. And during movements part of them close positions and stop movement .

I think price changing because somebody huge and strong has influence on price. And his influence expressed in big purchasing or selling. Big player look for big size and he need in opposite part to open big size on the best price. As a result we could see local accumulation of volume which were place for price movement.

Small player couldn't move price, a lot of small players often also couldn't move price in general because all of them have different goals. And during movements part of them close positions and stop movement .

If this is something you read somewhere or that someone told you, then proceed with caution. If it is a conclusion you reached via your own research, then you may have something to work with.

Consider, however, that volume is nothing more than activity. If the activity results in price movement, then the potential for a profitable trading opportunity exists. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.

Review your data. Note where price moves decisively. Note the accompanying volume. Note the preceding volume. Note the volume following the move. Think about what these three phenomena are telling you about the activities of longer-term traders (The Money).

Db

If this is something you read somewhere or that someone told you, then proceed with caution. If it is a conclusion you reached via your own research, then you may have something to work with.

Consider, however, that volume is nothing more than activity. If the activity results in price movement, then the potential for a profitable trading opportunity exists. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.

Review your data. Note where price moves decisively. Note the accompanying volume. Note the preceding volume. Note the volume following the move. Think about what these three phenomena are telling you about the activities of longer-term traders (The Money).

Db

I do the analysis on the basis of volumes. and trades on the basis of volume. And I think volume moves price. But not vice versa.

I do the analysis on the basis of volumes. and trades on the basis of volume. And I think volume moves price. But not vice versa.

No offense, but what you think is unimportant. What you have determined through testing is/will be more profitable.

At some point, you'll want to look at why price moves at all. Until then, collect examples of breakouts, as randomly as possible. Start with at least 30. Where exactly does the "big volume" print? Before the breakout? During? Or after? (You may have to switch to a smaller bar interval to find this)

Db

No offense, but what you think is unimportant. What you have determined through testing is/will be more profitable.

At some point, you'll want to look at why price moves at all. Until then, collect examples of breakouts, as randomly as possible. Start with at least 30. Where exactly does the "big volume" print? Before the breakout? During? Or after? (You may have to switch to a smaller bar interval to find this)

Db

Look at the file below. Bif volumer accumuluation make a resistance for price moving.

6c ex1.jpg

If by "rebound" you're referring to breakouts, the volume occurs after it has begun, not before. Drop down to a tick chart.

Db

Personally speaking, when it comes to technical analysis there are nothing more or less important. Volume confirms trend and indicates its starting or ending. It is better to see the whole picture - with both fundamental and technical analysis without focusing on one thing only IMHO

No idea. I don't know what the charts are supposed to illustrate. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible, as with this morning:

beautifil first chart. second diag cld be extended to cap the high too. Love seeing this sort of geometry/poetry

This is my first look at this instrument. seems very clean

Attachments

• NQ100.PNG
    NQ100.PNG
    133.5 KB · Views: 230
If by "rebound" you're referring to breakouts, the volume occurs after it has begun, not before. Drop down to a tick chart.

Db

I mean retreat. Usually accumulate large volumes are good levels of support and resistance. The level based on volume accumulation more acurate then based on price level. Also volume on the level approves resistance.

E6.jpg

I trade using volume analisys too, but i am separating the pairs into two groups, where the first group is the pairs that have the same direction to USD and the others is the opposite. And i make the indicator by my self :)

I've been an addict of volume for a good few years now and it's a major part of my trading strategy. It can be used successfully in forex in the context of 'interest' rather than actual traded volume.
A simple but extremely important factor is Volume should never be used in isolation it must go hand in hand with price