Vista Beta 2

rossored

Is anyone running this latest public release of Vista Beta 2 on their main machine?

I'd like to try it, as I've heard good things about it and the 32-bit version seems to be comptabile with most of the s/ware that I want/need to run. The trading side of things isn't particularly important as I'll use another PC for that, just curious about stability, although I have heard good things generally.

that's the fella.

my system somewhat exceeds the minimum requirements so I'm pretty tempted to give it a go. Stability of Beta2 is supposed to be very good, but if it all goes t*ts up then I'll just reinstall XP, and in the meantime I've got XP Pro on two other machines in the house anyway, so no big deal.

Should have downloaded the ISO by tomorrow, prolly run the upgrade this weekend and deliver my own report next week :) (assuming it doesn't fall over of course ;))

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Rossored.

Theres a couple of colleagues at work running it now. Ok so far although some driver issues with the video cards. If I hear anymore I'll let you know.

seems like the Rob guy was trying to test on an under specced machine.

Although MS are certainly culpable of making bloatware, you cant fault them for designing tomorrows operating system for tomorrows hardware capabilitys.

the cost of a 1 or 2GB stick of memory is now so low that if you can afford to upgrade your OS to Vista, then you should easyily be able to afford the required hardware upgrade. I can never understand these people who bitch about having upgrade their hardware in order to run the latest software!? would he try running XP on a 386? probably from the sounds of it...

Well, installed Vista Beta 2 this morning, and I'm typing this from it.

I'll give a detailed report in the week for those of you who are interested. So far, so good - no show stoppers as yet.

Tried to use IG Index yesterday with Vista and their online platform wouldn't launch, stating I was trying to run their software on an "unsupported platform"

Last edited:
OK, here’s some detailed information on my recent installation of Windows Vista Beta 2.

First off, if you’re considering installing this, I seriously would not bother if you have a CPU under 3.0GHz or equivalent (AMD Athlon 64 3200+, for example). It is just not worth it. Vista is truly beautiful, but as others have said it is also a bit of a resource hog, and for that reason, I would also say don’t install if you have less than 1GB of DDR RAM and at least a 128MB Graphics Card. I know M$oft say you could run it with 512MB RAM and anything over 800MHz processor, but you would be re-installing XP within 24 hours from frustration, I’d guess.

Installation:

If you’ve got a good setup, you’ll know that with XP you should be able to go from desktop to format to full re-install of the OS within 20-25 minutes. I’ve done this countless times on installs on both my machines and customers machines. Well, with Vista (at least on Beta 2 – RC1 and the actual release may be faster), you can kiss that goodbye. It took 55 minutes to copy the installation files from the DVD to the Hard Disk, another 10 minutes to expand the files, and by the time 1hr 15min had passed, I was beginning to think the installation had fallen over. However, another 10 minutes later, I was prompted for regional settings, user account details, system name, time & date settings - and installation was complete. Unlike XP the install doesn’t stop halfway through, prompting you for TCP/IP details, Time & Date settings etc – so once it’s running you can walk away.

At the Desktop:

As I said earlier, Vista is – in my opinion – truly beautiful. The ‘glass’ effects, combined with the way Windows open themselves, transparency and so on – are what doubtless hog the resources but it’s very, very pretty, much like Mac OSX Tiger. The Desktop also optionally shows what’s called the “Windows Sidebar”, a neat little tool that will display things like an analogue clock, calculator – even a Stock Ticker, which you can add your own stocks to (data is delayed by 20 mins though).

Another neat thing is that when Windows are minimized and sitting in the Taskbar, moving the mouse over each tab presents you with a small pop-up so you can actually see what’s in the window without opening it.

Applications & Security

I haven’t found many things that won’t install so far. I tried a few AV solutions, and neither of the free ones I used to use (Avast! or AVG) will install, but I’m sure that the companies concerned will have that fixed by release date. NOD32, my current AV solution, does install (not surprising seeing as it’s the one M$ recommend).

Vista comes pre-installed with a Malware solution called Windows Defender – based upon, by the looks of it, Windows AntiSpyware. It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out against things like AdAware and Spybot S&D, as I’ve found the MS product lacking in the past.
You also get prompted by default for confirmation every time you go to change a setting (like renaming a file) or install a program or run a .exe file. I’ve found this so annoying I’ve turned it off, but now have the Windows Security Centre red shield on the toolbar the whole time. Basically you need administrator permissions to do anything – which is probably a good thing, but will annoy some.

Applications like Office 2003, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Firefox, Nero etc all install without too much difficulty, although one or two required a couple of attempts to install fully – no doubt something that’ll be fixed by RC1 or certainly the full release.

Stability

So far, it’s been pretty good, albeit a little slow at times (I no doubt need another gig of RAM….) Although MS recommend that you don’t use it on your main machine (something I’d recommend if you’re not particularly PC savvy), I don’t see how else they expect to get good feedback and system analysis/crash reports unless it’s used on the main machine, day-to-day. Certainly, I’ve installed Vista on my main machine but to be fair, I also have two other machines here, both running XP and both with copies of my most frequently used files on, so if everything goes do-lally, I can jump on either of the others and carry on working. Neither of my other machines (a P4 1.5GHz desktop with 384MB SDRAM, and a P4 2.4GHz laptop with 512MB DDR) would run Vista properly, so I can see XP being around for a good few years yet.

Conclusion

If you don’t mind putting up with the odd glitch and you’re a bit techie, you might find it interesting to install. I have to confess, however, that I’ve come across a bit of a show-stopper since installing originally, and I’ve now had to revert back to XP Pro. The show-stopper was, if you’re interested, not running Adobe Photoshop terribly well, and it’s one of those programs that I use a hell of a lot.

So, for the moment, Vista has been consigned back to the CD/DVD holder that sits at my desk. No doubt I’ll run it again when RC1 comes along, and if its more stable at the actual release, I’ll probably buy it (along with another gig of RAM, just to ease things along a bit).

Cracking review Rosso.

I agree with the install process, takes forever, but I guess there's quite a bit of debugging stuff lurking in the background.

I've still got it running on a PC at work to "play" with, and yes it looks good, but it won't be near my home PC just yet.

Didn't manage to speak to IG ref their platform not running, I guess that will be resolved once were into RC2 and closer to the official release

Vista RC1

As an update to this thread, I've managed to get a copy of the latest release, 5600, which is also classified as Vista RC (Release Candidate) 1, M'softs heavily-revised offering since Beta 2.

Installation time is down from the aforementioned 1+ hours to just 33 minutes (XP SP2 speed) and so far no real program incompatiblity issues (except my favourite AV solution, NOD32, won't work and nor will Novell Netdrive, even in XP compatability mode).

However, I've been running this for four days now, totally stable and not one hiccup - but its still a hog, using a large chunk of memory (mostly the Aero interface I think), although overall performance is not that far removed from XP. Some programs actually load faster and run quicker than XP. Still, I stand by my previous comments about not bothering if you've less than 3GHz on the clock and anything under a Gig of DDR/DDR2 RAM.

A few screenshots for the non-vista-acquianted :)

Attachments

• desktop.gif
    desktop.gif
    429.7 KB · Views: 248
  • tiles.gif
    tiles.gif
    296 KB · Views: 296
  • windows.gif
    windows.gif
    268.4 KB · Views: 329
yeah its a beauty - thats what takes all the resource though - eye candy. You can turn it off, but then she's just the same boring old girl I've been staring at since 2001.

Still, performance is vastly improved over Beta2. I can now run more than 3 apps at once on my dual-core setup without it falling over ;)

Now, if MS can just sort out the midly-irritating User Account Control by default, and save me reworking it myself to not be so annoying, it'd be approaching perfection.