Using volume indicator with indexes

cenley

2 0
Hello,

I am new to this site and just starting out in trading. I am studying the Ftse index and trying to understand the patterns, price action etc. I am wanting to use volume as an indicator but cannot get it in IG index and wondered if anyone can syggest why or if I would be better using a different chart software.

cenley

2 0
If you're talking about the cash index itself, the lack of volume is because it isn't something you can trade on an exchange. It's just a weighted basket of stocks.

Or are you talking about Index Futures?
Thanks GammaJammer,
I was meaning about the daily FTSE 100 cash index. I noticed that on Worden I can see a volume for the daily DowJones-30 index but when using IGIndex I cannot see a volume for the FTSE. I did think that there was probably a sensible reason for this ie. it is something that is an aggregate of a number of shares but it threw me a bit that I could see it on Worden for the DOW. I really like to see volume so I just wanted to be sure one way or the other - sorry if it is a daft question...