Using options to profit from market movements

onetti

Hi,

Please forgive in advance my naivette -- I am not au fait with options, but I would much appreciate an answer to a pressing question, which is simply this:

"If I felt bullish on the general stock market over the next 2 months, what would be the most aggressive strategy I could possibly pursue to maximise profits?"

I have looked at the major indices, and can see potential returns on investment of around 2-3x using simple strategies. But can I improve upon this?

Re. figures, let's say I estimate a return on the S&P of 10-20% before the Sep expiry?

Many thanks for your time and consideration,

Alex

You can sell gamma to enhance your returns... Specifically, sell puts or do risk reversals (sell puts, buy calls). Caveat emptor: this strategy has been shown to be hazardous to your mental and physical health.

The most straightforward strategy would be to buy calls. That might not be the best approach for what you want to do, as there may be a spread strategy which is better, but it's the simplest.

Hi Martinghoul, Rhody Trader,

Many thanks for the reply and my apologies for the somewhat "out the blue" question. I like to model strategies at the weekends but the missing link is usually: "So how would you actually implement it as a trade?" I'm increasingly conscious that this is a question I need to be able to answer quickly if any of these ideas turns out to be tenable.

My suspicion was that a vanilla strategy of buying calls was the best option. I hadn't even considered the potentially devastating course of selling puts to finance calls: that is actually the perfect answer to my question, and it is also also a terrifying prospect!

In fact, the conclusion I came to was that spread betting would have been the best option with fixed risk, since this question concerned an index. This gave you realistic leverage of say 9x with a 10% stop loss, and the dividend payments of the constituents largely offset the rolling fees.

All food for thought.

Best,

A.