Using MT4 with Linux - prob with adding indicator

cantagril

2,351 548
A late Happy New Year to all,

I'm using MT4 with Ubuntu 16.04 on a dual boot i7 Lenovo laptop - had a problem with the version of Wine I originally tried i.e MT4 not starting at all or just displaying rubbish. Had another crack a few days ago and installed a later version of Wine and everything...well, almost everything, is working fine. I installed one indicator (Pivot Points) which I had already downloaded to my shared W10/Linux drive and it worked immediately....

Now, I have just tried an ATR dashboard ( SFX ATR Dashboard MultiPair.ex4) but this doesn't start at all. I'm not getting any error messages, just nothing happens, at all. I used the same procedure of copy the file into the MT4 indicator folder in the Wine directory and to me the only obvious difference was that the PP indicator came with an mql4 file and this one came with just the ex4 one.

Any suggestions? pleeeease

2,297 596
I'm not an MT4 user although I do use Linux – so this is just a guess which may/may not be helpful. I find Wine to be variable in how it runs Windows programs – sometimes perfect, sometimes almost okay and sometimes not at all. From your symptoms it's difficult to know whether the fault is with Wine or your Linux distribution. (I'm assuming it works perfectly on Windows). My 1st suggestion would be to try running MT4 on a different distro – you could do this on a different PC or from a memory stick on your laptop which would obviate the need for installation. My experience with Linux-lite (although derived from Debian/Ubuntu) is that it's very well integrated and it might therefore be worth giving it a go before moving on to another distro that can be run from a memory stick.

Another solution could be to run MT4 in a Windows virtual machine (but you will need a version – any version that runs MT4 ok – of windows with a license key to keep it working) – Again Linux-lite has a very good integrated VM. The disadvantage is that it's a more inconvenient solution.

If I'm telling you what you've already worked out for yourself – apologies! Nevertheless it will be interesting to see if you can make progress with this – keep us updated!

cantagril

2,351 548
I'm not an MT4 user although I do use Linux – so this is just a guess which may/may not be helpful. I find Wine to be variable in how it runs Windows programs – sometimes perfect, sometimes almost okay and sometimes not at all. From your symptoms it's difficult to know whether the fault is with Wine or your Linux distribution. (I'm assuming it works perfectly on Windows). My 1st suggestion would be to try running MT4 on a different distro – you could do this on a different PC or from a memory stick on your laptop which would obviate the need for installation. My experience with Linux-lite (although derived from Debian/Ubuntu) is that it's very well integrated and it might therefore be worth giving it a go before moving on to another distro that can be run from a memory stick.

Another solution could be to run MT4 in a Windows virtual machine (but you will need a version – any version that runs MT4 ok – of windows with a license key to keep it working) – Again Linux-lite has a very good integrated VM. The disadvantage is that it's a more inconvenient solution.

If I'm telling you what you've already worked out for yourself – apologies! Nevertheless it will be interesting to see if you can make progress with this – keep us updated!

Thanks for this.

I had sort of worked out that the VM solution would eventually be the way to go for me and in fact a couple of weeks ago I posted just this idea on another thread which had referenced Linux - for some reason the mods didn't like it and it was deleted. Anyway, I have tried a different distro (Mint) with exactly the same result. It was suggested to me by a teccie mate that the quickest way round would be to download the mql file only as the ex4 can create probs. Needless to say, despite it being a freebie, the author won't do this, so currently I'm doing a first boot into windows to scrape the ATR data and then restarting into Linux for the rest of the day. Irritating, but not worth me messing with my entire set-up for the mo.

Not particularly relevant but still of note: I have just installed NVP's excellent correlator tool with no issues and it seems stable and well-behaved.

2,297 596
Thanks for this.

I had sort of worked out that the VM solution would eventually be the way to go for me and in fact a couple of weeks ago I posted just this idea on another thread which had referenced Linux - for some reason the mods didn't like it and it was deleted. Anyway, I have tried a different distro (Mint) with exactly the same result. It was suggested to me by a teccie mate that the quickest way round would be to download the mql file only as the ex4 can create probs. Needless to say, despite it being a freebie, the author won't do this, so currently I'm doing a first boot into windows to scrape the ATR data and then restarting into Linux for the rest of the day. Irritating, but not worth me messing with my entire set-up for the mo.

Not particularly relevant but still of note: I have just installed NVP's excellent correlator tool with no issues and it seems stable and well-behaved.
........... Interesting stuff. Talking of having to boot into Windows 1st and then Linux (or vice versa) I sometimes have to do this and have found a very useful (free for personal use) utility at https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ It works really well with a beautifully simple uncluttered interface. I find it especially easy because I have Windows & Linux on 2 separate (physical) drives and it saves a whole lot of messing around with BIOS settings and other Linux settings.

cantagril

2,351 548
...if I knew then what I know now:confused:

........... Interesting stuff. Talking of having to boot into Windows 1st and then Linux (or vice versa) I sometimes have to do this and have found a very useful (free for personal use) utility at https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ It works really well with a beautifully simple uncluttered interface. I find it especially easy because I have Windows & Linux on 2 separate (physical) drives and it saves a whole lot of messing around with BIOS settings and other Linux settings.
I do like that utility. I've got a grub bootloader on my linux set-up which is probably the equivalent but it's a bit clunky.

When I set up my Lenovo laptop (T520) a couple years ago I was just not thinking about separate physical drives simply because this model doesn't have the 2nd bay...unlike my lovely but venerable Toshiba Satellite. With hindsight, I could very easily have used a caddy adapter and installed a second drive in the CD bay......maybe that would have been simpler all round.

Ah well.

2,297 596
...if I knew then what I know now:confused:

I do like that utility. I've got a grub bootloader on my linux set-up which is probably the equivalent but it's a bit clunky.

When I set up my Lenovo laptop (T520) a couple years ago I was just not thinking about separate physical drives simply because this model doesn't have the 2nd bay...unlike my lovely but venerable Toshiba Satellite. With hindsight, I could very easily have used a caddy adapter and installed a second drive in the CD bay......maybe that would have been simpler all round.

Ah well.
Thanks for that thought on caddys. Think I might just add a 2nd SSD to my trusty Dell latitude i5. SSD + caddy £26 on Amazon - bargain!