Using Futures Data For Forex

Pipsaholic

Hi,

Does anyone use Futures currencies to see volume in the spot FX market and do they find it useful?

Thanks.

You can look at it as a proxy, but there are significant limitations. One of the biggest is that the futures contracts don't tend to see much volume outside the time frame of their market base.

You can look at it as a proxy, but there are significant limitations. One of the biggest is that the futures contracts don't tend to see much volume outside the time frame of their market base.

spot on reply Rhody. I had the 6E time and sales up today alongside my spot FX feed, just for research purposes. The biggest lot I saw print was a 77. Now that is a large position but it is tiny compared to spot FX volume. You could watch the currency futures as a proxy however they are certainly the tail not the dog.

To trade spot FX with decent volume and order information you need an institutional platform and getting access to one is difficult unless you have a pile of cash and a relationship with a prime broker. I am working on getting access to one, I dont need to execute through one to make better decisions I just need the information. For example when we approach a level of interest I want to know who is playing.

If anyone knows a way to get access to one please pm me.

spot on reply Rhody. I had the 6E time and sales up today alongside my spot FX feed, just for research purposes. The biggest lot I saw print was a 77. Now that is a large position but it is tiny compared to spot FX volume. You could watch the currency futures as a proxy however they are certainly the tail not the dog.

To trade spot FX with decent volume and order information you need an institutional platform and getting access to one is difficult unless you have a pile of cash and a relationship with a prime broker. I am working on getting access to one, I dont need to execute through one to make better decisions I just need the information. For example when we approach a level of interest I want to know who is playing.

If anyone knows a way to get access to one please pm me.

I can't work u out. I don't know if u are dumb getting better, or better trying to act dumb. Sometimes i read u, and i think, "he knows his sh!t". Another time, and i think, u r taking the p!ss.

Who do u work 4 m8? Lets ave it!:)

Come clean.

I can't work u out. I don't know if u are dumb getting better, or better trying to act dumb. Sometimes i read u, and i think, "he knows his sh!t". Another time, and i think, u r taking the p!ss.

Who do u work 4 m8? Lets ave it!:)

Come clean.

I don't work for anyone kimo, you may have noticed that the smartest people don't tend to work for others. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

now have you got access to said institutional FX platform as there might be a steak dinner in it.

I don't work for anyone kimo, you may have noticed that the smartest people don't tend to work for others. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

now have you got access to said institutional FX platform as there might be a steak dinner in it.

U don't seem the type who does retail spot:) End of conversation!;)

U don't seem the type who does retail spot:) End of conversation!;)

yeah I hear you but there are some good opportunities. The shear amount of retail money floating around allows the people who can move price to go on the shaft. so generally I look for places where said participants have a vested interest in moving price somewhere, then I just hop on board, there was some great games today on the 6E London morning, some big trader made a killing using the stops to get out.:LOL:

yeah I hear you but there are some good opportunities. The shear amount of retail money floating around allows the people who can move price to go on the shaft. so generally I look for places where said participants have a vested interest in moving price somewhere, then I just hop on board, there was some great games today on the 6E London morning, some big trader made a killing using the stops to get out.:LOL:

You can't rely on retail volume m8;)