Useful things I've found on the Net.

Nine, thanks for the sharing... Could you please help me with the "bleeding noses" metaphor. I too have similar metaphor to help bring sense into price jiggling...

I can sensibly explain how that would happen on a single asset instrument (like individual stocks). However my real struggle is to explain how that can happen in index futures.

I assume the futures somehow track the underlying (more or less, for instance S&P future cannot be in countertrend with the underlying by say 100 points, or can it?). Also I do not think that it is possible to organise movement of the index by moving its largest constituents (or is it?)...

And yet I often have same feeling that is buying/selling in some parts of S&P is organised in orderly manner....

My main struggle is - can it be explained or am I being paranoid?

Yes, I suffer from tail and dog confusion too and have eventually given up trying to understand it. I assume that its like forex, one can lead the other, but that volume measures are less reliable on (some at least) futures than on the sum of underlyings.

I hypothesize that when the underlyings are in a scrap then the gyrations on the index will also generate volume. Also, that there are players who are in both fights. Basically the view seems to work.

On manipulation/variation from the underlyings, yes it can be done for a short time, especially with thinner index futures and I suspect its a combination of both thinness and the extent to which participants accept a stretching of the rubber band.

Back to the psychological theme.

We know what to do. But sometimes we don't. Why not? Here's the latest research from LiveScience:

Foot-in-Mouth: Why We Do It

By Jeanna Bryner, Senior Writer
posted: 02 July 2009 02:06 pm ET

Scientists have figured out one surprising reason why we make social gaffes we desperately wish to avoid: Ironically, the very act of trying to avoid saying or doing something can sometimes cause it to happen.

"When these things do happen we sort of smile and look the other way," said Daniel Wegner, a psychologist at Harvard University. "The curious thing is it's the desire not to do those things that seems to increase the likelihood of doing them."

In the July 3 issue of the journal Science, Wegner describes accumulating evidence that suggests many of our embarrassing moments are the result of miscommunications between conscious and unconscious mental processes.

How it works

Here's what happens, Wegner figures: The first line of defense is conscious, in which we intentionally try to avoid thinking about, say, an inappropriate sexual act. Distracting ourselves by thinking about other things is one way to avoid the thought.

The second part involves our unconscious minds. While we try to distract ourselves, a covert search is underway, monitoring our heads for any inkling of that unwanted thought. If it rears its ugly head, the unwanted thought gets flagged so our conscious minds can squash it.

But this unconscious control system is vulnerable to blips, particularly when we are stressed or have lots of things on our minds, Wegner said.

Such stressors can interfere with our conscious effort to avoid a thought or action. The result: Our unconscious mind that's been looking for such a thought takes over and all heck can break loose.

"The conscious process of trying to do the right thing is hampered, and the unconscious process is free then to increase its sway over your behavior and mind," Wegner told LiveScience.

Sex, golf and wine

The brain blip, though a rare occurrence, could explain things we are trying to avoid at all costs, such as spilling red wine on a white dress, making some sexist or racist remark, and even missing a golf putt or goal shot in soccer.

Wegner offers some advice: "You can avoid being in performance situations when you're under mental load or stress." In addition, you could "practice, practice, practice," he added.

By practicing a way of thinking or an action it becomes automatic (not a conscious effort), and so it's more immune to the brain lapses.

Foot-in-Mouth: Why We Do It | LiveScience

Is there a website that shows funds that hold a particular stock?
So if I searched Barclays Plc it would show the top 10 or so Funds holding this stock in largest holding order.

Something like this.

Attachments

• sg2009072050786.gif
    sg2009072050786.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 212
Although I disagree with a number of elements of Travis's post at ET I still thought it was excellent:

Hey, this is very good. You understood and stressed some very important points, and I couldn't agree more.

The reason people look for psychological reasons for failure (and I did, it, too for many years) is that - not having a winning method - they say "why didn't I apply the stoploss?", thinking not applying the stoploss is the reason for their failure. But it is not true, since if you always applied that same stoploss, you probably would still have a negative balance. The truth, as you said, is that if you knew what type of a stoploss gives you an overall positive balance, you would always apply it, but you don't because you are not sure which stoploss level is the right one. So you mistakenly look for psychological reasons for your failure at trading, whereas what you don't realize is that you don't know what works and that is why you're not consistently using a stoploss (which you don't know if it works). So if anything the psychological question you should be asking is "why am I trading while I don't know a sure method of winning?".

Now comes the second part of the problem though, which still makes me come to this psych forum here, and ask myself psychological questions. And it is as follows. If I have a winning method (automated system), why am I still trying to make "more" money with discretionary trading, where instead I do not have a winning method, and where I always end up losing?

I have tried answering, too. Maybe I find it hard to believe that, having created the winning automated system, I am unable to do things right by myself. I am starting to accept this limit, though, and rather than reasoning on "why" do I trade discretionary and lose, when I have an automated system that wins, I now ask myself "since it's a fact that I am not as good as my system (I lose and he wins), why is it that I am not as good since I created it?".

This makes me come on this forum, to see if others have answers, or also it makes me go on the automated trading forum, to see if others have had the same problems and questions.

Right now the answers to this question (why am I worse than the system I created?) seem to be, in random order:

1) The system has infinite patience and waits long enough to pick the right entries, whereas I am impatient and I anticipate

2) The system knows (from backtests and forward tests) what really happens in the markets - it weighs everything perfectly (as well as it can, enough to have probability on its side), whereas I tend to expect the market to bounce much more than it does in reality (I tend to do too much top and bottom picking). Also, for the same reason, the system stays in trades longer than I would, and it makes more money as a consequence.

3) Besides letting winners run (which I don't), the system cuts losses short - which is definitely my biggest problem, as I feel paralyzed every time I'm losing as little as commission costs (I can't get out of a trade unless I see a profit).

So, in summary, the system is patient and at the same time alert and quick, it is wise, it has self-control both in good and bad times, and it doesn't lose its balance in the face of adversity.

So I'll just have to remember these 3 qualities, into my head - qualities which I will never have. That is why I am trying very hard to stay away as much as possible from the screen, I don't even want to look at quotes, until markets are already closed. I've been losing for months whatever the system made (and more).

As you said, if you have a method that works, you will definitely use it. The question - psychological - that still makes sense to ask for all of us is "why are some of us (including me) using methods that they don't know if they work, or even that have not worked in the past?". Maybe because we don't care about money, maybe because we see as a game? Many answers are possible.

So psychologicaly won't help us trade - we can't learn to trade because of psychology. But thanks to it, we can learn to stop trading when we don't have a method that does not work.

Then, once we have stopped trading, we can work on finding a method that works. But the first step is to stop trading unless you have a method that's proven to work. Psychology won't make us winners, but it will stop us from being losers. It will make us understand (if we are lucky, I still don't know if I will be lucky) that trading is not a game, that we are not infallible, and that we will not win unless we have a method that's proven to work, and finally that we should not waste our money if we don't have a method.

Psychology will help you to stop trading and losing, just like it will stop you from cutting your wrists, or injuring yourself - because the real question for those of us out there losing money consistently because of discretionary trading is - why are we hurting ourselves?

Why did I lose money with discretionary trading, year after year, month after month for 12 straight years? Despite having created in the meanwhile an automated trading system that makes money? Why have I been trading on the side (discretionary) on my own, losing whatever the system made? Do I wish to not ever succeed? Did I really think I would help the system make more money? Sometimes I don't know which one is the answer. Right now I have a new rule that I won't even look at the markets all day long, until after close I will have to collect data, turn off programs and so on. Now, if I won't respect this rule, after losing as much as I lost recently because of my discretionary trading, then it will mean that something inside me wants to lose, or at least wants to break even. If I let it run, instead, it will have meant that I actually thought I was going to figure out a way to be as good as the system I created (or better). But now that I realize that I will never have its qualities (patience, alertness and self-control) there are no excuses anymore, all other reasons are discarded. If I still trade discretionary, it will mean that I want to lose.

Psych and Systems

agree, good post nine

good tip travis, takes a fair amount of time to find out just how good imvho

"Favorite Trading Tip:

Almost no one has the qualities needed to make money consistently in the financial markets. Almost everyone could build an automated system that has such qualities, but that takes a lot of work, and very few traders do it."

agree, good post nine

good tip travis, takes a fair amount of time to find out just how good imvho

"Favorite Trading Tip:

Almost no one has the qualities needed to make money consistently in the financial markets. Almost everyone could build an automated system that has such qualities, but that takes a lot of work, and very few traders do it."

Yes, that trading tip is a good one. A year after I wrote it, I will add that after you do the work needed to create a good automated system, you must also make sure you stop trading discretionary altogether, because otherwise you will still find a way to lose money.

Yes, that trading tip is a good one. A year after I wrote it, I will add that after you do the work needed to create a good automated system, you must also make sure you stop trading discretionary altogether, because otherwise you will still find a way to lose money.

Hi Travis

your correct imvho

you two have just explained my own actions over the last six months

could not understand why I was so uninterested in taking a trade, and infact have not taken one for some time

thanks, appreciated

Andy

Regarding self-deception, I was also thinking that in life you can deceive yourself in many areas and you will not go bankrupt because of it, but in trading (especially if you trade futures), you will blow your account unless you're doing the profitable thing. For example, at work, if you don't get promoted, you may say "this bank doesn't recognize my value, there's no meritocracy, there's something wrong with this bank". But maybe you're doing something wrong - most definitely you're doing something wrong. How could you do the same when trading? Imagine saying "this market sucks, the market doesn't appreciate my insights, there's no meritocracy, there's something wrong with this stock... it should be going up instead of going down.. people are manipulating the market...". The market - and especially the futures markets - forces you to improve yourself in order to become profitable.

Some more interesting things I just wrote on ET:

"The only pyschology needed is in asking traders who lose money - why are you losing money when it's not necessary? You can paper trade until you find something that works.

Probably the answer is - people want to gamble.

Maybe not all of us are trading to make money. Some of us (me, too in the past) are already quite happy with the thrill and excitement of "gambling". Otherwise I cannot explain why I kept losing money for 12 years, a few hundreds at a time. Or maybe it's only part of the explanation. Partly I was happy with the excitement, and partly I actually thought I was about to learn how to do it. Or rather I was thinking, all the time, "this time I really understood how it works" - now I know it is like an illusion that never ends, unless you are willing to make some statistics of your trades and face reality, but we are often afraid to do so."

You are posting some great stuff here Travis.

I do agree.

Most are in this to be right, or for thrills, but don't really see trading as a serious means to make more than you lose over time.

"An analysis of the profiles and motivations of habitual commodity speculators

The typical trader studied is a married, white male, age 52. He is affluent and well educated. He is a self-employed business owner who can recover from financial setbacks. He is a politically right-wing conservative involved in the political process. He assumes a good deal of risk in most phases of his life. He is both an aggressive investor and an active gambler. This trader does not consider preservation of his commodity capital to be a very high trading priority. As a result, he rarely uses stop loss orders. He wins more frequently than he loses (over 51% of the time) but is an overall net loser in dollar terms. In spite of recurring trading losses, he has never made any substantial change in his basic trading style. To this trader, whether he won or lost on a particular trade is more important than the size of the win or loss. Thus he consistently cuts his profits short while letting his losses run. He also worries more about missing a move in the market by being on the sidelines than about losing by being on the wrong side of a market move; that is, being in the action is more important than the financial consequences. Participating brokers confirmed that for the majority of the speculators studied, the primary motivation for continuous trading is the recreational utility derived largely from having a market position."

It certainly goes in the sense of what I said, but based on the statistical data the writer you're quoting may have he is making a lot of assumptions and drawing a lot of conclusions. So many that he seems a bit biased. For example, how can he say "the primary motivation... recreational..." - even those who subconsciously do it for recreational purposes (like I did for many years) will rarely admit it in my opinion and will rather say that they're doing it to make money - so how can he say "brokers confirmed" and so on. It makes sense to me - don't get me wrong - but it doesn't seem very scientific. It sounds like they gathered some data in order to prove what they thought to begin with. What do you think? I am not a statistician or anything.