US Withholding Tax


330 5
Following on from the other post about Capital Gains etc...

Does anyone know how the tax regime works for US shares. Whenever I have been given shares at work (US company) I have had to pay US 'Withholding Tax'.

Does the same apply if we trade the e-mini through Interactive Brokers? I have filled in my W8-BEN, but do the US government still tax me? Do they pass my details onto the Inland Revenue? I had to fill in a huge amount of info for IB, including my NI number, so they can clearly identify me.

Obviously I dont want people to identify themselves or their methods (in case the IR is watching :mad: ) but any general guidelines would be gratefully accepted. PM or Email if necessary.


Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
W8-BEN simply excuses you from US tax.
Years ago on ESI (which became Etrade), Greystone asked what people did for a living and I jocularly said I was a Special Compliance Officer for Her Majesty's Inland Revenue.
I lost all my buddies instantly ;-)
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock