Income Tax filings in the US for non-US resident alien


Hi. I am a non-US resident who lives in South America (Chile).

Last year I opened a $25k+ brokerage account in the US with the purpose of swing trading stocks. As a result I had to submit a W-8BEN form, which means that the income generated by my trading activity pays 30% Income Tax. Currently my stocks broker firm in the US automatically withholds that 30% income tax from my earnings.

Question: I'm I expected to fill and submit any sort of Income TAX forms for the US IRS now in April 2021, considering that my stock broker already withheld the 30% Income tax from my account ? (Note: I haven't had any other kind of transaction nor income in the US, other than this).

Thanks in advance,



Well-known member
You probably don't need to file U.S. income taxes.
As a general rule, foreign investors (i.e. non-U.S. citizens and residents) with no U.S. business are typically not obligated to file a U.S. tax return, including on income generated from U.S. capital gains on U.S. securities trades. Instead, when investing with Schwab as their broker-dealer, Schwab will withhold the required U.S. taxes on U.S. income and gross proceeds, as applicable, and pay the withheld tax and report to the IRS directly.

Foreign investors must continue to certify their non-U.S. citizen and resident status through submitting required documentation (ex: the applicable W-8 form) and may be able to receive reduced U.S. tax withholding by identifying the country where they claim to be a resident for income treaty purposes.
The U.S. does not have a tax treaty with Chile , so you are not eligible for a reduced witholding rate.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks