US futures volume drop-off

tss42

Everyone knows the volume in US futures drops off after the morning session, across all markets, usually to pick up on most days at around 2.30-3pm ET. The effect is especially pronounced during summer moths, when on some days even the afternoon sessions have very little volume.

But why does this happen?

I find it hard to believe that all the large intra-day players and program trading houses need such a long lunch break every single day. It could however be a chicken and egg scenario, i.e. these people don't get involved because the liquidity is not there.

But why does the liquidity disappear in the first place?

The best moves are usually in the first hour or so of the cash open, so why stare at a screen all day if you don't have to?

because most volume isnt done by "traders" its done by institutions who position them selves at the open and the close etc. doesnt take a whole day of trading to posistion yourself in the market!

If you day-trade ES only and see this kind of complete lack of liquidity as we see now, do you then sit it out, or start looking at other markets?

Last edited:
i dont day trade anymore, but i would sit on my hands for the odd day when volatility picks up