Best Thread US day traders thread.

I meant to say a little earlier that those trades this afternoon had one vital theme running through them.
Had I stayed in those trades for much longer than I did, those profits would all have evaporated and had I stayed in longer still, would have all turned into losses.
The point is that in day trading I strongly believe you should take profits when the market offers them and exit if/when things turn against you, if not sooner........
Richard

Mr. Charts said:
The point is that in day trading I strongly believe you should take profits when the market offers them and exit if/when things turn against you, if not sooner........
Richard

Ur absolutely right. When I enter a trade, I also have a strategical stop. I'm not going out because I don't wanna lose more than 10 cents or $ 100. I usually put my stop on a resistance or support level, or pivot or the low of the previous bar, instead of a $ stop.
I mean, if you take BIDU or GOOG, and you enter a 10 or 20 cent stop. You can be sure you'll be stopped out.
For example my GOOG trade today. I bought 800 at 313. My stop was at 312,25. The high of one of the previous bars. GOOG went up to 314,75, that's when I saw some sellers coming in on time and sales and level II. I sold 400 at 314,72. And put my stop at 313,5. So I'm 100% sure, that I don't end up losing on a winning trade. If it goes higher it's all free money in my opinion, and I'll be scaling out the rest of my position.

What do you think about that, Mr. Charts????

-Dave

By the way Mr. Charts. You found some good trades today. How do you find your trades, do you also use the trade-ideas scanner?
I had a problem with it today. It didn't work. It was actually pure coincidence that I found GOOG. :LOL:

Do you prepare yourself before the market opens. Is there a daily routine you have?
I usually start out on NASDAQ.com to check out the unusual volume stocks from the day before? You can actually find good opening trades there.
Then I log on to briefing.com to see what's in play. And check out the economic calendars etc..

And on days like today (23-09), when there's not a lot of volatility. Would you take your profits earlier? Do you change your strategie or money management? Because most break outs don't follow through!?

-Dave

Last edited:
Long SIAL 61.65

Attachments

• sialenter.jpg
    sialenter.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 256
cover for +32c.
It went up a fair bit after, although this wasn't my only trade today on that particular stock...

Attachments

• sialexit.jpg
    sialexit.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 226
Another little one.
ESRX long 59.44

Attachments

• esrxlong.jpg
    esrxlong.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 239
And out for 20 odd cents. Nothing spectacular today but i like to see at least one trade per day in this great thread, even if they aren't Mr.C style $4 runs!!

Attachments

• esrxcover.jpg
    esrxcover.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 237
Keano,

Why did you exit at $61.97? Limit order?

It didn't look as though there were any signs that buying had abated on the chart....

Still - a profit's a profit! :cool:

sorry for basic questions

thanks for posting keano,

I know to the majority of people following this thread the the answers to the questions below are obvious but I am relatively new to trading.

would it be possible for you to give a few details :(especially SIAL)
what alerted you to this stock?
why you entered when you did?
your logic for exiting when you did?
how did you manage stop loss ta or fixed amount, stop loss limit or mental?
do you find having the time set to usa time the best?

thanks

VCLK trade

Hi guys,

boring and quiet market today, I found one nice trade though.

There was a triangle in VCLK on a 3 minute chart. When it broke I bought 1000 at 16.98 and 1000 at 16.99. It went slowly up to 17.01 without good volume. So I got out at 16.97 (sold 2000). Then after 45 minutes I saw a small head and shoulders pattern and I was almost too late when it broke, but I was still able to buy 2000 at 17.03. My stop was at 16.98. Then it went up to 17.15. I sold 1000 at 17.13.
There was again a squeeze up to 17.33. I sold another 500 at 17.26 and then another 500 at 17.30.

I found this one on the NASDAQ.com hotlist and it went through the trade-ideas scanner.

-Dave

Attachments

• vclk.png
    vclk.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 257
Amazon and Sandisk

I am having fun and soime success day trading these two at the moment.
Amazon I have found is giving some of the best predictability i have ever seen in an individual stocks day to day price pattern.
Great reversal run up from 7.30pm to close ;)

IB TWS went down just after 3pm here - anyone else having a problem? Luckily not in a trade at the time. Rare event in my experience.

Hello compoundup,
It went down with me too in the middle of a RIMM short - though only for about a minute
Still short from 71.98
Richard

RIMM showing support at the decade number so closed out for almost a $2 run
Hope you are back up and running compoundup.
Richard

stopped out for another +22

also had lev2, totalview and powerview and arca and isld books all go down at same time on esignal feed (not IB)
Richard