Best Thread US day traders thread.

Just exited 50% of my position for a $3 run in APOL - rest still short
Anyone who thinks they shouldn't keep an eye on news flow during the day is, imo, unwise.
My news feed signalled a story at 1556 and I found a suitable entry point 5 mins later.
Richard

My early trade was in our old friend GOOG for a $2 run in four minutes
This chart was taken a couple of seconds after the long entry.
Although it was already running, a look at micro-analysis (buy/sell pressures, behaviour of market participants, trades printing off) showed there was still steam left in it.
Often you can jump on board running trains if your timing is right.
Richard

Attachments

• GOOGlong190905.GIF
    GOOGlong190905.GIF
    5.4 KB · Views: 236
.......and here is the exit.
Again that was on micro-analysis as it approached the round number 305; in fact it touched 305 and retreated on that particular swing up, again showing the benefits of combining charts and reading the buy/sell pressures so that the swing high was anticipated - before it showed on a chart or on volume.
Later it had another attempt at 305, touched it and retreated again; later still it burst through (without me) and touched 306 before retreating again - currently it's 304.
Richard

Attachments

• GOOGexit190905.GIF
    GOOGexit190905.GIF
    5.3 KB · Views: 219
Mr. Charts said:
.......again showing the benefits of combining charts and reading the buy/sell pressures so that the swing high was anticipated - before it showed on a chart or on volume.

Inspiring stuff Mr. C!
I've taken the liberty of attaching the same chart , including volume. Now, I'm very much a novice in this area but, with the benefit of hindsight, I think that volume does give some clues about where GOOG wants to go in advance of its main move. If viewed in the context of the micro-analysis that Richard describes, volume could be interpreted as a confirmation signal that here is a stock with a groundswell of buying pressure which is soon to burst at the seams. Here's my take on it . . .
GOOG opens around a dollar higher than Friday's close. The opening candle is reasonable, on good volume. This doesn't tell us anything especially interesting other than the fact that some traders may be looking to see the gap filled. Given the price of the stock and the speed at which it moves, this is a play for the hardened pro' with immaculate keying skills and a sense of timing that would make the greatest of comedians weep with envy. In spite of Naz's recent comments on this very thread, this is the time when normal people do stand aside and watch. The subsequent two candles reveal GOOG's likely intentions. Those playing the gap fill will be watching very closely and the brave amongst them will jump on board early. The lucky ones will take 50 cents or there abouts - if they get in early - placing their stops just above either the opening candle or just above the 2nd minute candle. Those who join the party late, i.e. during the third candle will have done well to exit with a scratch trade. A good many will, as I write, be telling themselves not to mess with stocks like GOOG again!
Anyway, back to the narrative. The second down candle (the third candle of the day) is on much lower volume, although it is a very strong bear candle. This is the crunch point - easy to say with 20:20 vision, I know. Nonetheless, if the gap was to be filled, it would most likely happen on the next few candles. At the same time, should it happen, many will watch to see if the $300 level is tested. Anyone who has read more than a dozen of Richard's and Alan's posts must have cottoned on to the significance that both traders place on round numbers. And they don't get much rounder than $300! Clearly, this never happened; there was no follow through to that second bear candle and the volume was dropping. The next smallish (bull) candle is especially interesting, as the volume has dropped even further.
So, to recap, by the end of candle No. 4. - this is the state of play. . .
1. The opening gap has failed to fill and there is a big question mark as to the likelihood of it doing so in the near future.
2. Of even greater significance is that there also appears to be no real selling pressure to test the $300 level.
3. Volume drops even further on the second bear candle.
4. Volume continues to fall on the fourth - now bull - candle.
What little selling pressure there was has eroded away. The very skilled who played the gap fill have made their few cents and moved on. The less skilled are licking their wounds and wondering what went wrong.
It's at this point that those traders who look for high probability trades will zero in on this stock, observing the above, confirming the story they see unfolding on their level II screens, T&S and momentum etc. Suffice to say, it's at this point that the likes of Richard and Alan take note, waiting to time their entry for a very low risk trade in a notoriously high risk stock.
Just my take on the action, which may be totally ****-eyed!
Tim.

Attachments

• GOOG_19.09.05.PNG
    GOOG_19.09.05.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Apol

Mr. Charts said:
Just exited 50% of my position for a $3 run in APOL - rest still short
Anyone who thinks they shouldn't keep an eye on news flow during the day is, imo, unwise.
My news feed signalled a story at 1556 and I found a suitable entry point 5 mins later.
Richard
Mr C
What was the news that moved APOL?

Here is a much more bread and butter type trade.
One of my core trading stocks, QCOM, gapped up today and had an initial attempt at 44, but was sharply rejected as the market makers "shook the tree".
It rapidly recovered with strong buying pressure as I could see the individual participants supported the price on my screens and time and sales were clearly positive.
People love to have a pop at me when I say some trades are really easy, but the fact is this was a high probability trade with minimal risk. Had this suddenly turned against me the maximum loss would have been a fall through the previous candle lows of 43.86. However it's unlikely I would even have sustained a 7 c loss because micro-analysis would have warned me before any upcoming failure and I'd have been out for a loss of 2-3c.
I did not have a clue where the price might go but I anticipated it was going to break through the whole number and possibly re-trace back to 44 or keep on running in its nice quiet way.
After the entry on the attached image I managed the position purely on micro-analysis without even glancing at the chart.
Richard

Attachments

• QCOMlong200905.GIF
    QCOMlong200905.GIF
    5.5 KB · Views: 266
I watched the buy/sell pressures, market participants' intentions and time and sales until I could see incipient weakness developing and then exited the trade as shown on this screen shot for 46c.
For those trading 500 shares that is $230,
1000 shares $460,
2000 shares $920 and so on.

In fact price reached a high of 44.47 and has since died away.
If you are looking at the right share at the right time, use the right methods and strictly limit yourself to such high probability, low risk trades - and are strictly disciplined - you can earn a good living from trading like this - day after day, week after week, year after year.
I hope someone finds this sort of example post of set up and approach useful.
Richard

Attachments

• QCOMexit200905.GIF
    QCOMexit200905.GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 257
Mr. Charts said:
I watched the buy/sell pressures, market participants' intentions and time and sales until I could see incipient weakness developing and then exited the trade as shown on this screen shot for 46c.
For those trading 500 shares that is $230,
1000 shares $460,
2000 shares $920 and so on.

In fact price reached a high of 44.47 and has since died away.
If you are looking at the right share at the right time, use the right methods and strictly limit yourself to such high probability, low risk trades - and are strictly disciplined - you can earn a good living from trading like this - day after day, week after week, year after year.
I hope someone finds this sort of example post of set up and approach useful.
Richard

Hi Mr Charts

Thanks for these, very helpful.

Any chance you could post trades that didn't go as planned and what you did when things went against you.

Just to balance out all the profitable trades you make :D

Thanks

If you are looking at the right share at the right time,

A big "if" and probably the hardest part of all in this game. ie. being in the right place at the right time.

A very nice post indeed on QCOM.

Well yes I could, but all they would show would be small losses or scratch trades and would not be very interesting or informative.
I did do exactly that on a thread a couple of years ago but the feedback was somewhat negative with people complaining it was a waste of time becuase they didn't learn anything from it.
If you are wondering about how many such trades of this type are profitable the answer is 84%
My other trades today were scalps in APOL CYBX and STEM all for just a fistful of $$$, no losses.
Any losses I do have are always small as I am strictly disciplined, so I don't have any big losses to show you.
Richard

I don't find it difficult finding the right stocks at the right time with the methods I use, but it is certainly true that several good trades are missed every day; but then you only need to find a couple of them to earn a living. In other words there might be 10 high probability low risk trades out there on a day like today, FOMC day, but you only need to find one or two; or in my case today one decent trade and three scalps.
I no longer feel any annoyance at the trades I miss, though I did for the first couple of years I traded for a living. I suppose it's a bit like putting your hands in the cookie jar every day and then noticing afterwards there were a lot more cookie jars around.
Richard

Qcom

Great Richard

I also put a very small trade on QCOM today, looking for the short term move to continue and hold for as long as the trend continues. Richard do you let moves continue into swing trades as Alan indicates he does or do you stick to the intraday stuff?

Chart and more available here

I entered QCom @ 44.04, with tight stop at 43.32. Here's why I entered - there was a large +BE (Bullish Engulfing) on the 15 Min chart, followed by a attempt at the round number 44.00. This attack seemed to have decent volume, breaking both the pre-market high and yesterday's and the new long term high set on the 13th. The QQQ was rising well at the time and the NDX was up as a whole.

Why shouldn't I have entered - large long term resistance at 44.5 and 45. Volume was unspectacular. I don't have a clear plan of where I will exit. I hope to stay in for the swing trade, but I'll see how it pans out over the day first.

PS

How do I post charts?

Mr. Charts said:
I don't find it difficult finding the right stocks at the right time with the methods I use, but it is certainly true that several good trades are missed every day; but then you only need to find a couple of them to earn a living. In other words there might be 10 high probability low risk trades out there on a day like today, FOMC day, but you only need to find one or two; or in my case today one decent trade and three scalps.
I no longer feel any annoyance at the trades I miss, though I did for the first couple of years I traded for a living. I suppose it's a bit like putting your hands in the cookie jar every day and then noticing afterwards there were a lot more cookie jars around.
Richard

strewth, mate........,
I wonder if you intend staying in this over night in the "hope" of an upwards move tomorrow..........?
If so, I wish you good luck.........but to me, luck is what a gain would be.
I guess this must be a swing trade over a few days, not an intra day trade, since your stop is to me, not tight, but huge by intra day standards for a $44 stock.
For example, 2000 shares means a stop located at the open, where you have decided it should be, would mean a loss of $1440; of course it would be smaller for lower position sizes.

This is far removed from my personal style of trading.
I like making money every single day.
Neither would I ever let a trade go into

to be continued in a few minutes..........

neither would I ever, ever let a trade go into loss having been in decent profit.
strewthmate, imo, that is throwing money down the drain. I think you should have at least locked in some profit when it approached 44.50 resistance and at the very very worst NOT allowed the rest of the trade to go into loss (far below 44.04 entry) the way you have at this time.
You have come within 1 cent of being stopped out for a substantial loss. This is a stressful way to trade and a losing way. I'm sorry to sound so harsh, it might be the way others trade, but is certainly not the way I do.
Again, I'm sorry to sound so dogmatic and definite, but it really upsets me to think you entered a trade on a sound basis, actually say you have no exit strategy (suicidal); you have no position management and end the day with a loss of 64c having been 43c up at one point.
This is no way to run the business of trading - ALL IN MY HUMBLE OPINION OF COURSE - OTHERS WILL THINK OTHERWISE, NO DOUBT.
And to think 1 cent more down and you would be OUT FOR A BIGGER LOSS.
strewth Dave, you've got to control your positions better !!!
I'm sorry if I sound arrogant, I'm not, even if it comes over that way.
I'm disappointed for you - good reasons for going in at a good time, no exit strategy, no management, no locking in of profits....just self-created losses.
If you are holding over night............I wish you well tomorrow.
Richard

I feel bad saying all of the above, and I hope you don't hate me for it.
Just PLEASE PLEASE consider very carefully the above views.........
Best wishes,
Richard

Qcom

Thanks Richard

After posting I realised that the term "tight" was relative overstatement. I do intend to leave the trade on over night for the potential continuation of the upwards move. The stop is placed slightly below the highs of the previous few days near the open as you noted. My position is very very small, and I took the trade almost as a learning experience in itself (as I am still very much learning), but you're right - no excuse for taking a loss.

All very valid comments Richard. Lack of exit strategy, and failure to take some profits at resistance in particular. No not thinking you're arrogant (comments strongly put tho ;) ) I know you've got a consistent intraday methodology and it works very well for you and the people you've coached. Am I right in saying though that your methodology doesnt cover overnight holding? I'd be intersted to hear from those who do hold overnight, would you have done anything different here?

Looking back in the cold hard light of erm 10.00 in the evening perhaps this wasn't a suitable swing trade from the outset with such strong resistance overhead. Perhaps this should always have been an intraday trade only. As I said my position size was tiny, hoping for some learnings out of this trade, and that at least hasn't dissapointed.

Dave

Last edited: