Upgrade UK before its too late

What about reducing the taxes for a company that then has to use that reduction specifically to employ others. That way, although you're reducing the % tax, the government still gets the same amount of total tax in the end, and you've increased employment by some % related to the tax cut, which means less to pay out in benefits.

This was probably main reason why US budget defecits ballooned under Ragaen and Bush reigns. Also tax concessions to oil industries. The mind boggles.

With near low manufacturing base often cut in company tax goes out as leakages on imports, rather than invested in expanding production capacity or R&D.

I'm saying concession on tax conditional on it wholly being used for employment. Concessions on taxes by the US government were not used for that.

You're better off bringing tax on employment DOWN, which increases employment, keeps actual tax income the same (if you do it right), and drastically reduces the cost of benefits etc. It works and has worked in other countries.

Of course if you just give concessions with no link to employment, then that money disappears...

I'm saying concession on tax conditional on it wholly being used for employment. Concessions on taxes by the US government were not used for that.

You're better off bringing tax on employment DOWN, which increases employment, keeps actual tax income the same (if you do it right), and drastically reduces the cost of benefits etc. It works and has worked in other countries.

Of course if you just give concessions with no link to employment, then that money disappears...

Yep that sounds good idea.

I would also relax labour laws on hiring and firing to make it a more efficient market place.

Dead against excessive legislation on employment laws. Although, having said that - I've read articles that say European laws have helped maintain employment during recession. Thus whilst reducing company profits - also reducing social and borrowing costs. May need to review and reflect here on cons pros... :rolleyes: I'm having doubts about the dead cert. :whistling

Last edited:
It does on the condition that unemployment isn't too comfortable.

As I posted earlier, you have to give people an economic reason to work. Many people won't work a 40 hour a week if it is only going to result in them being slightly better off.

Companies aren't going to want to employ more people unless it makes financial sense to them. Giving tax concessions to employers to be used specifically for employment, and cutting income tax and/or reducing benefits, makes financial sense to the companies, to the future employees, and to the government.

Which is why it won't happen in the UK, because it's too sensible, and requires some thought. Which is why we'll see tax rises and increasing unemployment, and increasing debt.

Wonder if the protests will start soon in the UK now that North African leaders are getting overthrown

Why would it as the system in the UK is completely incomparable with those of the Middle East. They have had the same rulers for over 30 years, at least we can change ours every 5 years if we want to.

Paul

As I look ahead I see a hotting up of the competition between countries.
Nice for the consumers but ever more profit margins being squeezed.
Some countries like the UK could be left standing and looking pretty stupid as the only jobs available are jobs in the NHS, Police, Fire etc. all essential but don't actually make anything for export.

I worked in a free trade area years ago and it was obvious even then that Britain wasn't really cometitive. UK politicians never really understood the idea of competitiveness and how important it is to keep up.

As I look ahead I see a hotting up of the competition between countries.
Nice for the consumers but ever more profit margins being squeezed.
Some countries like the UK could be left standing and looking pretty stupid as the only jobs available are jobs in the NHS, Police, Fire etc. all essential but don't actually make anything for export.

I worked in a free trade area years ago and it was obvious even then that Britain wasn't really cometitive. UK politicians never really understood the idea of competitiveness and how important it is to keep up.

Excellent post Pat. It goes to the heart of the UK's malaise.

Excellent post Pat. It goes to the heart of the UK's malaise.

With due respect Pazienza I find people like you are the heart of UK's malaise...

With your immature comments I would guess you are the same age as your shoe size... ;)

With due respect Pazienza I find people like you are the heart of UK's malaise...

With your immature comments I would guess you are the same age as your shoe size... ;)

:LOL::clap:

Nice of you to speak to me during one of your rare visits to planet Earth.

How about this for a better political system ?

Anyone can vote if they want to on any national or local issue. Everyone has an account which racks up points for voting the winning way. A league table is made of all voters and the top 50% get 2 votes that count, top 40% 3 votes etc.

In effect sensible voters will have more clout than the nitwits, nutty lot at the lower end. At present they have the majority and elect their own kind to inflict their rotten policies on everyone. With the obvious result that all the democracies are broke, the lunatics are in power and the planet is turning into a charred scrapheap

the problem isn't electorate the electees imo

The whole apparatus and establishment is engineered towards producing stuffy ******s.

Leauge of ExtraOrdinary Men!

Here is one for whole bunch of loss making bonus taking fockers. If you need to make people unemployed, why not get rid of the so called highly skilled and even more overpayed ******s.

1. They can afford to be out of work
2. They are no doubt very employable and can also take a job abroad
3. Sacking one of these lazy golf swinging fockers probably be equivalent to making 10 other hard working laymen producing providing essential services.

Am I missing something?

Should I be seeing a doctor or seeking to be elected? :whistling

The whole apparatus and establishment is engineered towards producing stuffy ******s.

Leauge of ExtraOrdinary Men!

Here is one for whole bunch of loss making bonus taking fockers. If you need to make people unemployed, why not get rid of the so called highly skilled and even more overpayed ******s.

1. They can afford to be out of work
2. They are no doubt very employable and can also take a job abroad
3. Sacking one of these lazy golf swinging fockers probably be equivalent to making 10 other hard working laymen producing providing essential services.

Am I missing something?

Should I be seeing a doctor or seeking to be elected? :whistling

Obviously you are a hang-over from the USSR, Atilla and would bankrupt the rest of us with those ideas imho !

:whistling

Obviously you are a hang-over from the USSR, Atilla and would bankrupt the rest of us with those ideas imho !

:whistling

The idea is far too logical to make sense it seems.

I fail to understand why you do not discuss pros and cons and refer to the USSR instead.

In fact anyone who does have a fantastic idea usually finds a listening ear and finance in the US? Why do you think that is? It is because the elitist old farts are too short sighted and tight fisted looking for short term returns on their money.

We need constant change and new blood.

If you look at the banks you will find people in there for the last 30 years. They never move. Why do you think that is? Reasons for low staff turnover... ???

Any nation where there is great disparity of wealth and rank and status are destined to lag behind countries where there are competitive and equitable and efficient distribution of income and wealth.

Look at it this way - in the spectrum of the UK public 250K turned out to the march last week. I think you will find the level of emotions and supporters are probably 10 x that amount.

Although I voted for Liberals in the last election in the coming May elections they are going to get slaughtered. (n)

Last edited:
Any nation where there is great disparity of wealth and rank and status are destined to lag behind countries where there are competitive and equitable and efficient distribution of income and wealth.

Do we have any nations that meet this ?

Paul