Ukraine invasion

Pre-ministerial press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg

(Not from a great mind, but from a pure heart)

"Good afternoon.

NATO Defence Ministers will meet this week at an important moment for transatlantic security.

We will review our progress on strengthening NATO’s deterrence and defence.
We will further increase the protection of our critical infrastructure, in light of the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines.

And we will step up and sustain our support for Ukraine.

So that they can continue, so they can continue to defend themselves, and liberate territory from Russian occupation.

Ukraine has the momentum.
And continues to make significant gains.

While Russia is increasingly resorting to horrific and indiscriminate attacks on civilians and critical infrastructure.

President Putin is failing in Ukraine.
His attempted annexations, partial mobilisation, and reckless nuclear rhetoric represent the most significant escalation since the start of the war.
And they show that this war is not going as planned.

NATO is not party to the conflict.
But our support is playing a key role
. . .
"

Medvedev.jpg

@Rufus_Leakey
As you like to inject the thread with a little humour from time to tome - when I saw this I thought of you . . .

Map of areas in Ukraine enjoying the lowest energy bills (Dark humour is like electricity, some people just don't get it!)
Energy_Bills.jpg

Further to Histo's earlier post with the link above to the Greyzone article exposing the U.K.'s involvement with the destruction of the Kerch bridge, the investigative journalist who wrote the article is interviewed by the 'Redacted' YouTube channel, below. Well worth watching, as he adds plenty of flesh to the bone. Enjoy . . .

Sure, it's a bit funny.
And now, back to our show.:)
Oh the irony!
As with almost everything posted by you and the CV's, the reverse of what you claim is far closer to the truth! Of the three of you, you're the only one who hasn't taken me up on a wager for 1oz of 999 fine silver. So, here's a bespoke offer especially for you . . .

I say Zelensky will flee Ukraine on a jet plane to a safe haven while Putin remains ensconced in the Kremlin. If I'm right, I win the bet. On the other hand, if Putin high tails it out of Russia while Zelensky remains in Kiev - you win the bet. What do you say?
Tim.

I say Zelensky will flee Ukraine on a jet plane to a safe haven while Putin remains ensconced in the Kremlin. If I'm right, I win the bet. On the other hand, if Putin high tails it out of Russia while Zelensky remains in Kiev - you win the bet. What do you say?
I'm rootin' for Putin to stop the shootin', lootin', and tootin', and if we're lucky, go the way of Rasputin.

But I doubt all this will happen. So, no bets from me.

The Kherson counter-offensive wasn't just a failure - it was a complete disaster. .
A complete disaster for whom?

On the other hand, it might just be a well-deserved "vacation and an opportunity for people to change their surroundings" (if this translation is correct).:)

Last edited:
I'm rootin' for Putin to stop the shootin', lootin', and tootin', and if we're lucky, go the way of Rasputin.

But I doubt all this will happen. So, no bets from me.
In other words R_L, you think I'm right and it'll be Zelensky who leaves before Putin.

I'm glad at least that you want the war to stop, as that puts you ish on the same page as those of us on the right side of the argument. The difference between us is that I want it to stop today which could happen if the Biden administration says enough is enough and agrees to Putin's offer of peace talks. Sadly, that won't happen while the war serves their political aims and while it has some support and a lot of indifference from the prols. Fortunately, for two reasons, the picture is starting to change. Firstly, the political and military leadership know that the collective west are fast running out of money, weapons and ammo to send to Ukraine and that, sooner or later, they'll all but fizzle out. Soldiers on the ground aren't much use without the tools of their trade. Secondly, as the winter kicks in, questions will be asked by the hitherto compliant western MSM about why the U.S., U.K. and their allies are spending £$billions prosecuting a war they can't possibly win against a perceived foe who poses no threat to their national security, while their own people are freezing their brass monkeys off. That's when there'll be a shift in U.S. foreign policy. Suddenly, Ukraine will disappear from the headlines, the war will be yesterday's news and Zelensky will be thrown under a bus. (Enter Branson and a Virgin Atlantic flight to Necker Island.)

Russia will claim victory because they'll end up with at least the four regions they've already incorporated into the Russian Federation - plus a few more for good measure. The U.S. will claim victory as they'll assert (wrongly of course) that Putin's power base is greatly weakened and the west is now dependant upon it (the U.S.) for expensive shale gas rather than cheap Russian pipeline gas. As for those holding shares in Lockheed Martin and Raytheon etc. - they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Meanwhile, the economies of European countries will/are completely fcuked and Ukraine - what's left of it - will be a complete basket case.

That, in broad terms, is how this will end. It's how these things always end. And the families on both sides of the conflict will be left wondering what the whole thing was about, why it happened and why negotiations weren't undertaken long before their sons, brothers and fathers lost their lives fighting a pointless war that should never have happened in the first place.
Tim.

Last edited:

I wonder if Zelensky pays any attention to domestic U.K. politics and, if he does, surely it will have dawned on him that Biden and the U.S. administration could (and will) do to him what Liz Truss has done today to her close friend and key ally, Kwasi Kwarteng. President Zelensky must realise that when the west no longer views him as a political asset but, rather, as a political liability, then his days are numbered and they'll throw him under a bus faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Wakey-wakey Mr. President, the clock is ticking . . .

Last edited: