UK Opening/Closing Time?

BF1

What is the official opening/closing time of the UK pound against the dollar?

yup, but i thought you wanted the offical UK session?

the US market closes at 9pm GMT (or is it 10pm)

so you can usually get 14 decent hours of movement a day (though the last few hours of the us session are a bit thin, to say the least)

Sorry. Im looking to establish the times during which the gbp/usd market is at its most volatile.
If the UK closes at 2pm, then who is trading the pound against the dollar during the US market open times?

FetteredChinos said:
yup, but i thought you wanted the offical UK session?

the US market closes at 9pm GMT (or is it 10pm)

so you can usually get 14 decent hours of movement a day (though the last few hours of the us session are a bit thin, to say the least)

most volatile when both markets are open.. ie midday to approx 3pm GMT.

its not only people in the uk that trade GBP/USD.

global markets and all that jazz..

though GBP/USD during the asian session is unbelievably tedious.. if you fancy a night without sleep, look to fade breakouts of hourly bars in between 10pm and about 5am....

Do you find many occasions when there is sufficient movement during those hours to profit from? Or is it only now and again?

FetteredChinos said:
most volatile when both markets are open.. ie midday to approx 3pm GMT.

its not only people in the uk that trade GBP/USD.

global markets and all that jazz..

though GBP/USD during the asian session is unbelievably tedious.. if you fancy a night without sleep, look to fade breakouts of hourly bars in between 10pm and about 5am....

as i said.. most breakouts during the asian session are likely to be fake, so instead of going long on a break-up, you go short. vice versa if it breaks-down.

either way, i would rather be in bed then. but each to their own..

as i said before, there is an average daily range on GBP/USD of about 160pips at the moment, and 300pips on a weekly basis.. there is more than enough room to profit with all that action..

I would like to trade some major currency pair during weekends. Can I do this any time? reply much appreciated

I undestand that currency markets cease trading on Friday evening and resume late Sunday night. I guess you could place orders though?

[
QUOTE=osho67]I would like to trade some major currency pair during weekends. Can I do this any time? reply much appreciated[/QUOTE]