TWSDDE.XLS:file format is not valid

oatman

I've been playing around with IB's API and have copy/pasted some data into Excel which is not updating. Thought I'd have a look at their demo spreadsheet and get this error. It's something to do with SYLK (symbolic link) file format.
I don't know what they're talking about :cheesy: or what I'm supposed to do.
Any help in plain English please.

Don't know if this may help oatman, I've previously had this 'SYLK' error, but normally opening text files.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323626

Has the file you're trying to open got an '.xls' extension? Does it open at all? What version of Excel do you have? I have had the demo file to work, but I'm at work at the moment and I'd never get it through the firewall :(

Cheers,

Mute.

Hi mutant, I'm running Excel 5.0a.
The file is the sample spreadsheet from TWS.

oatman,

I'm using Excel 2000, so I've saved the TWS sample as Excel 5.0. Some of the features may be lost doing this. If you want to know which ones let me know, I'll try & send you the help page which lists them.

This seems to work though. Put your user name in cell D5. Select a cell like A15, and click 'Request Market Data'. Make sure you're logged in to TWS, I think you need 'Configure - API - Enable DDE Clients' ticked as well. You should get data from I5:S5. Quite nice actually. Haven't had much time to play with it myself.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mute.

Attachments

• twsddexl5.xls
    169.5 KB · Views: 759
Thanks mute, I've tried your attach and I get
"Filename is not valid" error.
I might have a different Excel somewhere, I'll have a look around in my pile of CDs :rolleyes:

Hmm, works for me? I'd email it to you, but that's down at the moment!

Probably better off with Excel 97 or later. Let me know if you want me to email it to you when Virgin sort me out.

Mute.

I found Works 7.0 with a spreadsheet. I'll have a look in the morning,
gnight