trying to contact Paul Rotter, Eurex trader in Ireland

MartinD

Does anyone know anything about a chap by the name of Paul Rotter, a size trader on Eurex using TT apparently operates out of Ireland and is backed by GNI?

If anyone has any knowledge of him, or a means of contacting in him, I'd be very interested if you could PM me.

oatman said:
Ask GNI to tell him to email you.

Do you have any pointers for GNI contact info? I've beens scouring the web but i am not clear if GNI were bought by Man and if its now them I should try to contact.

I've emailled Eurex Ireland too... see what happens

thanks

GNI are owned by Man.
Maybe try a phone call to get to the right area.

I think a few people may be looking for Paul Rotter. He is "The Flipper", look in Schatz this morning and you cannot miss him, think people may be queing up to give him a good kicking.

I managed to catch up with him, thanks for your input everyone.

I personally think Paul Rotter is a genius, who will probably go down as one of the Market Wizards of our time... think about it - he's got a method that consistently makes big money - isnt that the holy grail every trader is looking for? Wouldn't every one of us do the same if we knew how and had enough money?

Of course we would, however I don't believe he has a method per se.

In my experience people who make the really big money in this game have something that the rest of us simply do not have. In many ways it's like playing football for one of the top clubs. It doesn't matter how much you train, how much effort you put in, if you don't have the talent (that can be built on) in the first place then you'll be lucky to even play in the lower divisions.

Rotter has a method to his madness for sure but he had to have the in-built talent to start with.

MartinD said:
I managed to catch up with him, thanks for your input everyone.

I personally think Paul Rotter is a genius, who will probably go down as one of the Market Wizards of our time... think about it - he's got a method that consistently makes big money - isnt that the holy grail every trader is looking for? Wouldn't every one of us do the same if we knew how and had enough money?

Market manipulation is hardly the work of a genius.

Its all in your attitude.
Are you a winner or a loser - only you decide.

Excuse me - but can someone tell the rest of us what Paul Rotter is admired/hated for?

I've never heard of him but I take it he is a big player on eurex......

Many thanks

He does spread plays on the bund, bobl and schatz futures.

One of the characteristics of his trades is "flipping" size over from the immediate bid to the ask, like 10,000cts or more.

I dont see the problem with this since his offers are not spoofs & are there to be traded and taken + they add liquidity if anyone feels like hitting them, but apparently the "flipping" method of his trades interferes with the way other traders scalp these markets so there have been a lot of noisy grumblers making all kind of strange allegations about him.

Thanks MartinD

Ok, that sounds reasonable.
What is the opposing view? Why these accusations of "absolute twaddle" and "market manipulation" ?

Kap

So you think that most of the truly great traders (and I'm talking about the ones that have the bank to win/lose £1m in a day - personal money) are just your average Joe's that hit it lucky. Perhaps they went on a training course hosted by Mac futures or something and were showed exactly how to parlay 1 lot into 1000 up within a few years.

Or that the talent playing in Euro 2004 are just people that are good at sports, who had good teachers and trained and ate well. Perhaps their secret was the sports psychologist who can turn people with very little talent in League winners?

Or perhaps they just 'wanted it more' than the next guy. An American think positive cliche if ever there was one.

Trading success is like a Pyramid, a handfull at top and hundreds of thousands at the bottom. Don't you ever wonder why that is? If it was just down to hard work, diligence and intestinal fortitude then the pyramid example would not exist. But exist it does.

He did discover that huge fill or kill orders can screw over other locals that's for sure. These are actually orders that the Eurex exchange does not allow, hence all the controversy. He has developed his own interface to API that somehow allows him to do this...May be his genius but I think he should be wary of turning up to a Eurex convention as I know a few people who are not fans.
There are a few of these amazing traders generally x-locals that are astounding in their performance. Paul Mason and Mark Ellis to name two. Hear these guys create more volume in Euribor than anybody else and they certainly make and have made Millions in this market.

TW,
How are the ex-locals making their money? By taking a view outright or legging spreads or simply by trying to be on the bid or offer and make the spread.
I can't see how the latter would work these days that the order flow can't be seen unless you are just trading in general market trend and hoping to get hit or lifted and run for a few points??

Do you still get big locals moving the market in gilts and ftse or do the concentrate on german bonds and STIRS?

I think main focus are Stirs and it is largely either calendar spreads in single STIR or playing the Euribor/Bund/Bobl/Schatz in single month between the markets. With CME Globex taking a lot of Eurodollar volume we are starting to look at that now too, hope for easy pickings as the Americans haven't been long on screen, should think plenty of fat fingers and silly orders going through.
It is rare that locals take too much of a view, more getting on bid or offer either directly or through outrights and then getting out for tick or scratch. In last couple of months it has been pretty tough so had to take some views or at least a little more risk to make crust.

Thanks TW, it must be very interesting to sit close to the action and hear the horror and happiness stories

twalker, are you autospreading with TT between markets, or do you leg in?

I am keen to learn more about spreading and how its done and how it works, as this is a new (to me) angle of trading I know very little about... any pointers or recommended reading?