Trouble saving line studies in charts in MT4

Beserker

7 0
Hi,

I've tried searching for an answer to this and have found similar problems but no real solution - hope I can get an answer here.

I've just opened a demo account with Alpari, and have downloaded MT4. Since familiarising myself with the software this afternoon, I have found it strange that when I add S/R and trend lines and then close the chart, on opening the chart again, all my lines are gone.

The only solution to this problem seem to be around saving templates/profiles, which doesn't really solve the problem, as saving a chart as a template seems to then apply my S/R lines to ALL charts.

Surely something as simple as the charts keeping your S/R lines is not beyond MT4 - it seems to be the go-to for so many traders. I must be missing something really simple here - at least I hope I am!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

NB - I am running MT4 within Wine on a Linux platform - could this be the problem?

NB2 - If I put a line on a chart, then close MT4, when I reopen, my line is visible for a few seconds before disappearing, suggesting that maybe there is a reset going on once contact with the server is made? For information, I have TOOLS > OPTIONS > Server > Keep personal settings and data at startup TICKED.

NB3 - I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software once.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

wackypete2

Legendary member
10,229 2,053
Closed/Deleted charts can be saved for future use.

From the top menu bar: Tools>Options>Charts - then make sure "Save Deleted Charts to reopen" is checked.

To open the saved chart: File>Open Deleted - and select your chart from the list. Now every time you close a chart it is automatically saved.

The list will grow to an unweildy size if you don't periodically remove charts you no longer use.

Peter

Beserker

7 0
Ok guys, cheers for the help :)

I've been messing about with it for a few more hours and have found I can save my line studies by setting up different profiles - eg I have a USD profile with all my USD pairs and their associated S/R lines, a GBP profile, a EUR profile, etc. The S/R and trendlines are now stored within the profile.

Still find it a bit awkward, but sure I'll get used to it :) I've been used to the IG Index platform, which saves all your lines on each chart nice n' handy like.

Thanks for the links counter_violent, and for your suggestions Peter - they have both helped me to find the solution I've rested on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock